Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New 900’s

Truck Shop · 2021-07-19 15:35

Made my trip to Lewiston early this morning-KW dealer. A few things to correct but good over all. With the fire south of Pomeroy the deer were all along the highway plus coyotes and one bob cat.

Replies15
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-07-19 15:37

    And a couple of nice loggers on the lot for Hallback.

  2. #2Truck Shop2021-07-19 17:27

    This link shows the map of the Old Spiral Highway {which originally was called the Lewiston Grade} Steep! The Kenworth dealer is located at the bottom of grade near hwy 128. https://www.bing.com/maps?q=map+of+...s=n&sk=&cvid=f1ba601a0f074b0abefe3fb584902255

  3. #3Pony2021-07-21 06:56

    I can see one mistake straight away. The steering wheel is on the wrong side.

  4. #4Truck Shop2021-07-21 07:23

    Oh-I just read the whole world is changing to U.S. standards.

  5. #5Nige2021-07-21 20:42

    That, and the driver's work station looks like something from the 1960's.........

  6. #6Truck Shop2021-07-21 21:06

    That's the latest and greatest in contoured plastic. Everything is like that these days-it's a throw away truck. What's new.

  7. #7John C.2021-07-22 10:33

    All this came in with vertical integration. Custom trucks are being whittled away on. Make a few models, limit options and drop change orders. Here is what we built, take it or leave it. If you want to add something else, feel free to do it yourself. Now there are limited numbers of skilled labor to make those changes at the dealer level anyway. Since they are operating on a profit motive, the work is likely to be hurried and the parts substandard. Looking to me like the way the equipment shops have been for years.

  8. #8Nige2021-07-22 12:10

    I should have been clearer that I was referring to the ergonomics of the cab interior rather than the materials it was made from.

  9. #9Truck Shop2021-07-22 13:12

    Actually the ergonomic side of it is real good. Dash layout is easy to scan, nothing is out of reach. Seat and wheel can be adjusted for anyone that's a dwarf to 6'8". Also very quiet--too quiet. Sound systems are better than most cars. Plus good vision with one piece windshield.

  10. #10Truck Shop2021-07-22 13:15

    True custom order trucks haven't been available since 2000. Every time we order new a list of items to change or add is inevitable.

  11. #11Old Doug2021-07-23 20:56

    Do they have any newer KWs ? There is a 2017 at work i can tell you ahead of time what will come apart in the cab and how to rig it back together. Cheaply made junk.

  12. #12Tyler d4c2021-07-23 21:22

    Why the lift axle Truckshop? Running heavy or to make some axle law.

  13. #13Coaldust2021-07-23 23:12

    Speaking of new K-Dubs and frames and craftsmanship. I asked MHC in Des Moines to install a pintle hitch on a new T880. After two months of service, all the welds cracked. Pape’ Kenworth agreed to warranty it. Their “guy” gooberd some weld over the top of some of the most visible cracks and filled the rest with paint. Plus, the Buyers 50ton hitch was already worn past the limit. The whole mess got re-engineered in-house.

  14. #14JPV2021-07-23 23:14

    Nice trucks, if you have a problem with the looks of one of those you have a problem with yourself! I see the rear spring hanger on the steer axle is different then all the ones I am around. I don't know when they were redesigned but do they still have the 2 bolts through the bottom of the flange? I always understood that drilling the flange was a cardinal sin and KW did it at the factory, if the frame is going to crack on a 900B or L it is usually right there, we have had a few do it, that's not easy to repair.

  15. #15Truck Shop2021-07-24 07:47

    Every tractor we have except three have drop axles, gvw is 100,000. I've repaired several through the years. Don't know will have to look.