Is it just me or is everyone else seeing this pop-up advertising box take over the bottom of my screen when on the forum site? Damn thing is really annoying, kind of like the 2 boxes on Machinery Trader. I don't even bother getting on MT any more because of it. I refuse to read the damn ads and I won't be the monkey that has to keep punching the down button every time I load a page. My time here might be limited.
I don't get the ads and popups. I use the Adblock plus extension. It kills all the ads on websites. It works great I've used it for at least 7 years now. On some websites they make you disable your ad blocker to see the site.
Same here. No ads. It also blocks all banners and any other little distractions that are not from the website you're visiting.
Depends on what you use for a browser. I never see what you do. I use Firefox. It is very much like Google Chrome and can use the same extensions that Chrome does to block those pop-ups. Bear in mind there is a huge difference between a browser and a search engine. Firefox does not track your internet browsing like Google does. IMHO
It’s pissing me off, especially as it delays so bad when you try and push it down. Reminds me of my first wife while trying to drown her. lol
No ads using firefox
Using Safari and it sneaks up from the bottom of the screen.
Its horrible. There is one automotive site that I can barely use now since they added the ad's it can take 3 or more minutes for a page to load and yeah some times longer or not at all. If your doing ad's have them NON ACTIVE, THAT MEANS JUST STATIONARY ON THE SIDE, AND JUST LOADING AT ONE TIME IN THE SESSION at the very beginning of sign on, and NOT AT EVERY THREAD.
I have fire fox or fire sh__ as I call it and its gets lots of ad's. I have this one ad in question here. Ad's do no good for some of us, I would never purchase a thing from some one irritating me like this and I just bet many others feel the same. Yeah this ad stuff hit a nerve.
They appear for me using Firefox.
Wonder what the difference is, I hardly ever see adds Last year I started using a VPN but prior I still didn't see adds
Brave browser for mobile. iOS here and no ads. I use safari for some things but all my forum browsing is through Brave.
Firefox ad killer, top right, the 3 lines, click that. Go down to extensions and themes, find uBlock Origin. If you don't see it there's a little searchbox at the top of the page. Put uBlock Origin in there and it'll show up. Install that and zero ads. Even those ugly toenail fungus ads, no more. Joe H
noScript helps too.
Thank you joe H,nothing like toenail fungus pics with morning coffee
Mine too.
Using Chrome. They started appearing a copule of days ago, but as of today they've gone
Interesting, I was browsing around HEF (I use Safari), getting annoyed with the pops ups, and they suddenly went away.
I use Chrome and they disappeared for me this morning, too. I hope the HEF owner(s) took them down based on our feedback. And on that note, I do appreciate the HEF owner(s) and mods providing this great source of info us. I understand that the ads like those annoying popups provide the revenue to pay the bills of doing this and I'm sure most of the mods are simply donating their time to keep us, the mangy herd of equipment users, to mind their manners. Their efforts are appreciated.
Brave browser here too. No ads here, youtube or anywhere else.
I'm afraid to use an ad blocker and end up getting locked out of all sorts of sites. That mess is not here right now????
Pop ups are back ! They were not there earlier, but now they are back.
Occasionally I'll get a site that says they're ad supported and asks for the ad blocker to be turned off. Most of those are just an ask. For those that actually require it turned off for access it's simple enough to disable it for one website or turn it off and back on later. It's simply not a problem and the pleasure of faster loading web pages, no ads popping up across what you're trying to see, no random voices popping up from 3 tabs back, etc, etc is well worth the occasional pain of disabling the ad blocker for a couple minutes now and then.
It's not a problem with Adblock plus. When blocked you just go to the Adblock plus extension and allow ads on that site.
Thanks for the suggestion. That works.
Adblock, yeah just what is needed another program on this old junk PC taking up more memory etc.
it will help the browser use less resources on your old pc.
Yes--two things supposedly hard to get rid of, ads and toenail fungus, Popular Mechanics had a article about the two back in 1968.
No ads. Stop clicking on everything that pops up and downloads to your computer.
I have Chrome and its popping up. They wont run me off tho
I'm just about done with the internet altogether, the whole thing is rapidly turning into a useless ********. I use it to check the weather on the NWS site, do some online banking and occasionally look up parts online. No social media, basically no forums, I quit running to the computer to google every question I have, deleted Amazon Prime, etc. I don't miss it much.
I have one auto web site I hardly ever go to any more the ad's make the load times worse than the old dial up phone line stuff of years past. I won't do any online banking, as there is no way to ever know if you have a key stroke logger. It is not a virus it is a program, and virus software won't ever spot it. Just too much to lose on a home or personal device that does not have a group of security professionals keeping the system safe, and as we have seen by all the data breaches that they can't even do the job effectively. Amazon is the only online thing we do, anything else I call and do purchases that way. The less info you put out the better.
In the past, @Steve Frazier would reply and soon the ads were gone. I suspect there is a revenue stream from it. I am a member of a couple of forums that you pay $25 per year to be ad-free. I would do that in a heartbeat.
AdBlock Plus takes care of it on my desktop. No help on my android phone. I can't even log on with my phone, the ad covers the log in section at the top of the screen.
It's ridiculous. Seems to now be affecting bandwidth.
Sorry your having the issue, but I don't see any adds and haven't for a few years with firefox
What browser do you use on your phone? I use Duck duck go and have no ads at all.
If I had to do that on all the forums I frequent, I would not be able to eat. Its bad enough to have to pay a kings ransom for the privilege to go online in the first place. Ad's are fine, just don't have them doing constant loading and over whelming the computer, stick them in static mode on the sides of the forum, not blocking all the content. Like anything else just some simple logic.
I use Chrome for my browser. Almost every time that I opened HF, a bottom pop-up box blocked a third of the screen. Every time that I changed a page, it was back. It was very frustrating so I did not bother to log in very often. Yesterday, I did some trial and error. I loaded both Adblock and ublock origin lite as extensions via the Chrome extensions page. I'm not sure which one is doing the trick but now I have no more ads showing up anywhere on the HF pages. It has also knocked out all of the advertising on the motorcycle forum that I am active in, which was also getting overburdened with ads. 2 thumbs up!
You and me both! I appreciate who ever host and does all the work to keep this forum going, I'd gladly donate to the cause. It has literally saved me thousands of dollars in repair bills.
I'm in the boat that the ads suck but we are getting a very valuable site for free. I pushed the owner of a different site (forustryforum.com) to offer a subscription model to the members, as his site was being a bit overrun with ads, ruining the experience, but also providing some of the needed funds to keep the site running. Like HEF, FF also provides huge value to the masses. He finally relented and offered premium subscriptions (removing the ads) and a bunch of folks give him some value back for the value his site provides. I'd be happy to do it here too, to help support Steve or whomever is running the site. Running a forum, especially a popular one, is not always fun or trivial. Fighting bots and spam and poor behavior can be a real PITA.
Duckduckgo no pop ups here
Android phone accessing HEF via the native Chrome browser vs AdBlock browser.
Second pic is how it looks for me with Brave. It's almost like a big portion of Google's income is tied to advertising....
And selling your data.
I'm blaming @colson04 This is the ad I see coming on a lot now.