Hey guys, I am new to this site and I am looking for some advice. I just graduated high school and boces last spring. I took the Conservation program and enjoyed operating heavy equirment, I have very little expierence and I am not that good. Anyways I am looking to find a school to become a certified operator. I dont want to spend a fortune or be in school for a long time. I am willing to relocate as long as the school has housing. Does any one have recommendations on where to go? Thanks!
First of all, congrats on graduating H.S.! I’m not too familiar with programs around your area, but I’ve managed to do a little digging. SUNY college of technology at Alfred has a 2-year degree program if I’m not mistaken. They’ll give you training on how to operate machinery in construction and highway maintenance. You’ll take courses in blueprint reading, estimating materials, meeting OSHA standards, selecting PPE, and others. Regarding graduation, you have to earn a minimum cumulative grade of a “c” average, which isn’t too hard. Regarding price, it’s manageable (but this depends on your frame of reference, everyone’s different). It’s $8,057 in-state, $14,617 out-of-state (undergraduate 2015-2016). The program has a great employment rate at 83%, and you can probably expect work in public works or heavy construction companies. There is also a program at NYIT, but I think it’s kind of expensive at about $33 grand a year (or $2,950 program cost per level). I do like that you can choose to earn a certificate for a particular type of vehicle (i.e. excavators), and not have to take them all. Considering what you told me, I think I’d lean more towards SUNY. Maybe others can give you more insight? In any case, good luk
In my very limited point of reference, only know one person who went to Alfred many years ago, this guy was into the heavy equipment mechanic side of thing. I worked with him for several years and he had a very good understanding of the basics of how things worked. He not just a guy who was a parts changer. If I was 46 younger and looking to get in the business this would be one of the places I would at the least take a serious look at. May be also check out some of the companies in your area and let them know you were going to school and see if any could offer you a summer job. Even if it is as a guy chasing parts for a mechanic or washing down the dozer at the end of a shift you could learn a lot if you kept your ears and eyes open.
A very good school and not to far from your home in NY https://www.pct.edu/academics/tnrt/heavyEquipment
School Thanks everyone for the advice. I've heard of Alfred. Great school however I'd really like to find something down south. I want to get away from the cold and the snow
List of Heavy Equipment Schools Throw your query in the ol' Google. Should help you narrow it down if you have some states in mind. With that being said, here is a link that lists out all of the known Heavy Equipment Schools in the U.S. http://www.iuoe.org/training/heavy-equipment-operator-training-schools
I am so happy everything I come here. I can learn a lot of from you.
Another thing you may want to consider is a union. You can start at the bottom, as an apprentice, and work your way up. The training is free and you'll earn money. Google the International Union of Operating Engineers and see if they have a local in an area you'd like to live. If you find one or two that interest you, Email them and ask for info about getting in. Good luck and congrats!
Yes this is the way to go! Post # 8
Tell ya what,,, I,ll trade you all my years of experience (over 50) even up for your youth?