Hello all. New member looking for advice on acquiring a full size backhoe. I have a friend who has a 4wd Case 580 Super D. Extendahoe with three bucket sizes (12, 24, 36), and clam front loader bucket. Not sure of the year but I think in the early to mid 80's. Engine was rebuild a couple thousand hours ago and its been used well but seems tight overall. The pins are not sloppy and everything (mechanical) works but gauges, lights, and accessories not so much, although I'd expect that from old equipment. The entrance door is gone and the side door glass is cracked but still intact. All other glass is there and fine and the overall cab condition is well used. He recently replaced all four tires and had the brakes rebuilt. The fluids look clean and it runs and idles fine. The fan belt squeaks and I think the alternator is due for replacement but overall the old Bessy does the job needed. I've used it many times in the past and having the power and capacity of a full size hoe has kept me from buying a smaller 35 or 50 hp farm tractor. He's selling it to me for $15,000 but I'm trying to find out as much as I can about these things before making the purchase since I'm not looking for a money pit. Any help or direction is well appreciated. Thank you.
buying from a friend or someone you can trust is worth an amount of $$, that someone didnt jury rig main components just to work till the unit is sold, so paying a few more bucks for a machine you know compared to an unknown with possible large future repairs is worth it, thats not to say the machine wont have an expensive failure in a week, but most unlikely and you know the history and maintenance of the unit.. I dont know that machine, but see if anyone that would know if that particular unit has any inherent issues...check all the fluids and their condition, are all the greasable areas wet with grease. you seem to have given it a good looksy and you had the benefit of using it, so you know it doesnt overheat or cut out after a short time of use and runs fine..if you dont have to pay for transport to your property add that into the price..
Thank you for the quick reply. Its actually already in my possession and he has a trailer I can use anytime I want to transport it anywhere. As I mentioned, its well used and isnt perty but does the job. I'm just not up to speed on what these big toys need over time and if I should be more concerned about any failures. Yes, a friend but I still dont want to over pay for something that will likely need big ticket items soon. My hope is that they're overly simple machines and dont require anything ridiculous to fix. Thank you again.....
I wouldnt be afraid of well used but properly maintained...how many hours a year do you think you will put on it? biggest issue some of my friends that are in the business are with all the electronics and computers in the newer machines, thats why I like the older stuff for my personal toys..
If I put a two hundred hours a year on it.....that would be A LOT. I do live on property which can be up and down so I'm leery of the shuttle shift unit. I'm not sure what to expect for repair costs if something like that quit. I'm with ya though..... The older none computer stuff is the way to go.
I have an older early 1980s ford 555 backhoe I bought from a buddy down the road, he has the reputation of keeping all his equipment in great shape, Ive owned it over 12 years and the only thing that went was the main hydraulic hose coming off the pump, and that was only around $150.00 to replace like 5 years ago...last year I put new tires on the rear wheels..everything else works as it should and I put low hours each year on it..to have it when I need it even to dig 1 hole in the hardpan by me is worth every penny it cost, I originally bought it as I was replacing the foundation of my house, after getting estimates for the foundation I decided to do it myself, a block foundation, the backhoe paid for itself on that 1 job for the money I saved doing it myself..
Like I mentioned in another post, the older Case parts are fairly reasonable on ebay. If you can do your own work, it's not too bad. My 480C is even older than yours, has 5000 hours on the clock. Mine has been welded several times over the years for cracks in the frame and the boom. But someone has kept it greased, it's not that sloppy. Slowly over the years many of the hoses have been replaced, the only thing I have had to deal with are leaking cylinders. It seems they have a lifespan, and then they all start crumbling at once. But they are only about $30 each for a seal kit. The hardest part is getting the nut loose on the piston, on the boom cylinder I had to take it to a big truck place and their big 1 inch impact broke it loose.