Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New batteries

Welder Dave ยท 2024-10-24 23:59

I needed new batteries for the grader and the place I normally get reconditioned batteries from didn't have any group 31 with round posts but they had new for $155ea. They're typically the cheapest place to get batteries but I did some more looking online. I found a fairly new place (opened 2020) that had them new for $99.50 that's about 35% less. They had the same 18 month replacement warranty. I saw some good reviews for the place so thought I'd try them out. I asked how they could be so much cheaper and they said the batteries are made in the Philippines by Ramcar and they get wholesale pricing. Then I looked up Ramcar and there was a good review on Bob is the oil guy's site. Apparently Ramcar has sold batteries in Australia as well. Wondering if anybody else has used Ramcar batteries and what they thought? I ended up buying 3 batteries because the tractor battery was on it's last legs. I figured it's worth a shot trying them considering I saved $166.50. I could have bought 4 and still had $67 left over compared to buying 3 of the other ones. I'll report if I have any issues with them.

Replies18
  1. #1cfherrman2024-10-25 11:06

    You can but screw round posts to convert a screw top to a post top

  2. #2Welder Dave2024-10-25 14:26

    I considered getting the adapters but that's another $24 for the 3 batteries. That would make the reconditioned batteries $68ea. I figured I might as well get new for the difference in price. The new batteries have a nice handle too which is good because they are damn heavy. I forgot how heavy group 31 batteries are. I was barely able to lift the 60lb. battery up and over the opened battery door on the tractor standing on 2 milk crates. I was standing there for a couple minutes trying to figure out how I could lift it high enough. Then I decided I just needed to do it.

  3. #3cfherrman2024-10-25 14:55

    Invest in a auto crane for a pickup lol

  4. #4heymccall2024-10-25 15:06

    Being a bit of a battery afficionado, I'm a East Penn fan. Napa has the under Startrite line, a 31P is 317237, with an internet price of $121.99. My jobber price is a bit lower. 2 things about East Penn: A) the terminal to case seal is superior, meaning no more green, fuzzy cable ends. 2) my service life is longer than any of the others...Motorcraft, Delco, Interstate, Exide, Johnson Controls, etc. iii) I've never had to use the warranty, but once. And that was an old stock one from Advance Auto (still an East Penn).

  5. #5Truck Shop2024-10-25 15:12

    Interstate really isn't what it was. I bought Alliance/Freightliner for $90 ea at 950 CCA, would last about three years with all the parasitic draw--three years is decent.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2024-10-25 15:43

    We around here put cat batterys in everything. Yes they cost more but we quite offer get 8 to 10 years out of them

  7. #7heymccall2024-10-25 16:00

    That's where I started. Pull an MSDS sheet for the Caterpillar batteries. Yup, East Penn manufacturing, ie Deka. My average on East Penn, Deka, Cat, Advance Auto (all Deka) is 7 years of service, including my seasonal equipment.

  8. #8Tyler d4c2024-10-25 17:10

    I beleve you there the easiest place to get them around here

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-10-26 02:53

    Prices for batteries in Canada are beyond ridiculous. I normally get great life from reconditioned batteries. I think the shortest life I ever had was still over 5 years but have had them last 7, 10 and one even 12 years. I put a reconditioned Cat 8D in the track loader a couple years ago so I'm expected it could go 10 years maybe more. Cat apparently specs. a higher end battery than std. batteries. I've had another brand 8D last 10 years. A new Cat group 31 is well over $300. The batteries I bought are 925 CCA which aren't the highest rating but that could be a good thing. I was told years ago by the original owner of the reconditioning shop that lower rated batteries are more HD and last longer because they have thicker plates that are spaced further apart. Less chance for shorting. I had an Interstate deep cycle RV battery explode at about 4 1/2 years. It had to have been a big boom. I had a pic. but it disappeared from my phone.

  10. #10Welder Dave2024-10-26 03:11

    I was thinking of how to hook something to the roof of the cab. I had to lift the battery to upper chest height and then fit it between the vertical battery door and the windshield while trying to stand solidly on 2 stacked milk crates. 4 1/2 years ago wouldn't have been a problem. The stem cell transplant really zapped my energy and strength. In the past I replaced the 8D in the Cat with nothing to help lift it. 8D's are about 132lbs.

  11. #11colson042024-10-26 07:50

    Never heard of Ramcar, but I'd like to hear how they turn out for you. We pretty well run John Deere batteries in everything because the Deere dealer is 5 miles away from the farm, is always well stocked, and they have lasted well for us. We generally don't have battery issues at the farm. Personally, I had a ton of issues with NAPA 3EH, 6 volt batteries in my Deere 310A. They would last just longer than the 18 month warranty period and then crap out. They were wired in series to get 12 volts. After the third pair (over $300 to replace) crapped out on me, I built new cables and swapped the backhoe to a single Group 31($125). It starts better than it ever did, and I'm over 2 years with no issues. That was a Deka battery. That's what our local Family Farm and Home sells. I have a Motorcraft 750cca battery in my skid steer that is dated 2012. It cranks quick and fast all year long without any issues. I thought it was dieing on me in 2020, but that turned out to be a starter going bad.

  12. #12cfherrman2024-10-26 07:58

    I've been happy with the orshrclins batteries because every time I needed one they were on sale, when I could tell they were going bad they were still under the 3 year warranty. It's now a bongaars and they only have a 2 year warranty but due some reason when I need one a same is on. I've been paying around $120 for a group 65. I can't stand battery problems so if something starts off I'll look at the battery right away and see if it's a little bad and swap it

  13. #13AllDodge2024-10-26 09:11

    I get longest life from Odyssey (Enersys) but they are high.

  14. #14cfherrman2024-10-26 11:40

    There's a enersys plant in my town, employs lots of people and pays them well

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-10-26 13:25

    The place I bought the batteries also sells Odyssey and a couple other brands.

  16. #16Truck Shop2024-10-26 19:33

    My 84 dodge had two batteries the 23 years I owned it, both Interstates. We had Interstate put batteries in the shop on consignment at $159 ea IIRC, 31HD's. We got no better performance out of those as the Freightliner Alliance brand at $90 bucks, boss wanted them because his dads shop had them. With all the electronic crud plus the plug-in coolers and refrigerator & TV's even with auto start there isn't a battery that will last 4 years. Plus the factor of road shock, most would come in stinking, hot as a pistol. Internally shorted.

  17. #17Tyler d4c2024-10-26 19:38

    Road shock that brings up the subject of battery holddowns. People around here are pretty good at not installing them. Hard for a battery to last when its in the box jumpinh up and down like a chipmonk on coke a cola

  18. #18Truck Shop2024-10-26 20:30

    Ours are always retained by hold downs because those need to be. A trip through a level three inspection will cause people to install them.