i was just wondering what the easiest way to get a job as an operator. ive been working as a mechanic for deere an hate it. right after high school i went to work for a company in alaska as an entry level operator (artic trucks mostly, ran a d9n and a 550 for a while) and loved it, but i left to go to school for diesel mechanics which was the biggest mistake ive ever made. now everytime i apply for a job no one wants an operator with no experience, but can always use a mechanic:Banghead so what would you say is the easiest way to get my foot in the door?
The fact that you are a mechanic gives you a head start in my view.A good mechanic wont missuse or abuse equipment because they know what the end result is,"Breakdown".You might apply for a job at a smaller construction company.Tell them your skills and you want to operate as well.Smaller company's & contractors like motivated multitaskers,You will still have to turn a wrench but it might also get you in the seat .I started out as a mechanic & welder ,now I have a small construction busines.I still get servise calls from customers needing help with a piece of equipment and I gladly go,I still like turning wrenches to.All I can say is be careful what you wish for because most of us get it.Good luck oregon96pd.
I agree with 25c a small company I think would really appreciate an operator that is familiar turning wrenches. I am a foreman and I do lots of simple repairs rather then wait 2 hours for a mechanic to show up. :bash
thanks for the replies. that makes sense about the smaller companies, maybe i wont give up yet!
what do you hate so much about wrenching? just wondering, I went to school 15 years ago and have done it ever since. Maybe you haven't found the right equipment yet, maybe you need to get out of a dealership.
I would second what the guys said about the smaller companys. A place I used to work at had 2 operators that both used to be shop mechanics. I asked both of them if they wanted to go back to turning wrenches (after our mechanic quit) and neither of them were remotely interested. They both liked being out in the field better. If you can learn to operate, as well as turn wrenches, most places would like to have a employee like that.
i cant really pinpoint what part i hate the most about it. i guess its just not for me not something i enjoy, its always seemed like a chore which makes gettin up in the morning difficult. plus i made some bad decisions and now my back and right shoulder are failing me so thats another big reason in wanting a job change.
well thanks guys, i will look around at smaller companys an see what i can come up with.
Need work in So. Cal. Can anyone direct?