Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Case Backhoe CONCEPT

9420pullpan ยท 2005-06-05 20:59

once again looking for some feedback, unfortunately my pics are to big to post but you can view them on the link below!! Case displayed a few models and were asking what people thought of them... they came out with a concept by incorporating a 6 way blade in the rear of the backhoe, and a hoe that has a swing radius of @ 270 degrees. very good idea, because you can actually swing around and pull something into the loader bucket! and a 6 way blade how many times do you wish you had a dozer around when back filling or gradeing a driveway up? this machine also has all wheel steer how nice would that be in tight spots

Replies25
  1. #1littledenny2005-06-06 16:21

    Now this is an interesting concept - I'd think it would be a pretty handy machine, and might put a real dent into the sales of other machines - but notice the lack of stabilizers? Suspect it would be a bit tippy over the side, as shown, and then does that detract from the ability to rotate 270 degrees? And I wonder how badly the rear blade would get into the way of digging? At least on the mini trackhoes you can choose the option of having the blade in front, anchoring the machine, or flipping around and leaving the blade on the other end while you're digging. Suspect it might sell well in the small backhoe catagory - like the size of a JD 110 TLB, but I'd bet it wouldn't sell as well in the larger sizes, like a JD 410 - since guys who would buy a machine that big probably already have more than one machine to do all the things that this machine could do.

  2. #29420pullpan2005-06-06 16:34

    i never noticed that it didnt have any stabilizers. i wonder where CASE ( C an't A fford S omething E lse) will go with this concept. maybe i will see it at the Conexpo in 2008 sorry case fans!

  3. #3Cat4202005-06-06 16:45

    I'm not sure if I would like it or not, it looks like something that would be either very good or very annoying. I assumed that the blade was used for stability instead of normal stabilizers

  4. #4littledenny2005-06-06 17:26

    I can see a benefit for a backhoe to rotate past the usual 175 to 180 degrees we're all used to, seems like there's always the time you wish you could go just a bit farther - but the stability issue gets to me. With a blade in the back and the bucket up front, I'd bet there's plenty of stability fore and aft, but normal stabilizers extend to the sides, and that's what keeps you stable sideways. Still think this new backhoe might be tippy without stabilizers. That's my problem with the mini excavators - you can lift a stump, but you'd better watch it a bit swinging it to the truck. Stability over the blade dies quickly when you swing beyond 45 degrees from the blade. (you guys know this!) So, now we consider this new backhoe concept - how many times have you ever wanted to pull something into your front bucket? What's the advantage of a backhoe bucket that swings to the front that isn't already accomplished with a 4 way front bucket, or a grapple? Is this really just a fancy broom and dustpan for picking up rocks? trying to sweep thinds into a front bucket looks like a good way to put backhoe bucket teeth against a front bucket cutting edge - which wins? For that matter, since this is still a wheeled machine, doubt the blade is good for much more than backfilling a trench, or pushing a bit of gravel - something that that 4 way bucket on the loader already does. The six way blade is a nice thought, but is this the type of machine we're gonna buy to do fine grading? Sorry, guess the more I think about this machine, the more likely I am to want to wait to see someone else buy it.

  5. #5coopers2005-06-10 01:19

    I agree with Littledenny. Blake WA

  6. #6Sled Puller2005-06-10 08:12

    Do we all agree that a rubber tired backhoe is the machine to "get by" because it neither loads, nor excavates well, but is better than a shovel?Handicap for lack of a better word. Their best feature, is being able to run for stone, after you put pipe in, if you are alone. That said, the 4wheel steer/same size tire is a huge improvement over the industry norm. Extra swinging will be nice in a handicap machine. I don't know how much stability will be lost with the blade, over the side vs outriggers, I seem to recall having air under the light outrigger on a 580 Case many a time, and they don't extend all that far, anyway. The blade could possibly be better, in some situations. I would be concerned with ditch visibility, I know the minis are blind in lots of cases, becasue of the blade. Perhaps a 4 in 1bucket and a new style outrigger would be more handy than the blade?

  7. #7Cat4202005-06-10 13:24

    I just noticed now that the cab rotates on the model pictured above. Perhaps they could give it an excavator style counterweight?

  8. #8CascadeScaper2005-06-10 13:30

    The blade would not allow the operator to level the machine up when working on a sidehill like stabilizers would. Backhoes are tippy and topheavy as it is, this machine would be limited to trenching on flat ground.

  9. #9Taylortractornu2005-06-10 17:32

    PullPan theres a few machines that are on the European market that are built like this SCaef/Terex had one and PolyPelle was another. A few other made TLBs that looked like the standard TLB we have and added 270 and 300 degree swing to them. Ive seen videos of them working and had a friend that actually got to run on when he was in Europe. He told me it was hard to get back used to his 416 at work. One madel even had a seat that past the 180 degree mark the seat and controls would swivel with the boom. Ill try to find the link later on take care Taylor Lambert

  10. #109420pullpan2005-06-10 18:36

    Taylortractornu i would definately be interested in seeing the machines you are talking about......

  11. #11cat3202005-06-10 19:48

    That kinda reminds me of the cruzair, but it looks like it would be an interesting model to see made but a reg. backhoe should still stay in the stable .

  12. #12Taylortractornu2005-06-13 16:57

    9420PullPan go to Polytrac.de then select his english page. Theres alot of interesting machines there in his gallery and then go to his links to producers page. Look up Telescopelle a wheeled 9 ton excavator that has a telehandler boom on the front of the under carriage. Neat little rig. Mastas I think makes one of the 270 degree swing machines. Ill have to look it all up a bit later Sorry it was Pi Makina Im having trouble with there site but you can probably get the old on with a google search.

  13. #13Cat4202005-06-13 17:10

    Everyone should check out that site, there's all kinds of cool stuff on there.

  14. #14start2finish2005-08-11 20:22

    Think of this, the mini excavator doesn't have a blade on both ends. This machine has a loader on the "other" end, I think this will add stability. And maybe think of the 6-way blade like one on a big trencher, good for backfilling. DOn't Even have to turn the machine around. Just fold the boom and start off plowing loose dirt (you just dug it) into the hole. Or maybe you could knock down loose stumps(possibly) or some dirt to access your dig site. Looks like could be great one to test out for sure.

  15. #15Dusty2005-08-25 18:47

    it looks like it may be a great machine for landscaping u could sneek it over a lawn and do what u have to do and move on also looks like it would be good for snow push and scoop i would like to try it if they ever make it :beatsme but i bet i could not afford it

  16. #16MultiFunction2005-09-18 01:16

    It would be really cool if they could design the geometry of the two buckets so that the backhoe could pick the loader clean of its contents without scraping the paint off.

  17. #17CCG2007-11-11 13:59

    Case 580b Would anyone know where I might find a manual for using the controls and the in's and out's of what to do and not to do with the machine. I not sure of the year. The guy I bought it from said maybe a 1982?

  18. #18Phil2007-11-12 16:55

    CCG, What I think you are looking for is an operators manual. Case dealer may have one, but they are sometimes sold on E-bay and cheap if the CD is okay. I think an '82 model is a D, so check the serial #, it's located on the steering column of a B. B's and D's look very different. Get your service manual too. Phil

  19. #19Klutz2007-11-12 18:00

    You certainly provided us all with endless amounts of great pics, Pullpan, the least I can do is to dig up some funny old backhoes for you. Old Hydremas and a Schaeff, all with rotating cabs. I've been inside both the 614 (top) and the 918. The 614 seemed a lot more appealing for some reason. The Schaeff (bottom) I never saw. I don't think any of them are in production anymore. I think these machines were ahead of their time and probably a bit expensive. Same thing probably goes for the Case. The machine could work great but how do you convince your customers to pay more for your expensive high tech toy? Owners of Kobelco Blade Runner might have experienced this. I think littledenny is right although I wish he wasn't. Schaeff SMB 2041 data sheet. Seems like Google sometimes finds more than it's supposed to... www.schaeff-terex.com/english/pdf_file/en_smb2041.pdf Similar odd creatures that are being produced today are http://haulotte-multijob.com/Multijob/index.htm http://www.mecalac.com/en/

  20. #20Countryboy2007-11-12 22:21

    Welcome to HEF CCG! :drinkup Cool pictures Klutz.

  21. #21KSSS2007-11-12 23:59

    Pullpan, I will have a pair of CASE dinner tickets for you at ConExpo. If I have to suffer through the CAT dinner the least I can do is return the favor.

  22. #22KSSS2007-11-13 00:22

    Sorry I hit enter too soon. The first thing you will notice about the CASE dinner it is actually a meal, not the finger food deal that CAT has had the last two ConExpos. You actually have a place to sit, not stand at a little table. Now it is not usually held at Caesars Palace but really who cares what the name of the casino is. You CAT guys are all about the bling not the thing. The CAT dinner is a great place to watch guys that have all purchased overpriced and under performing equipment all the while trying to make each other feel good about it. The CASE dinner is more about normal guys telling CAT jokes over a great slice of prime rib. You may hear a story or two of how their Super M stomped the heck out of a 430 in production and reduced downtime or how a CASE CX series track hoe is more productive than their neighbors C series hoe. Don't worry Pullpan the beer is free they even have a magic show. Sorry they cant put substance back in your CAT equipment, but hey its only for entertainment purposes. Your local CASE dealer can help you out with that. Until ConExp.....:drinkup The above post is meant to be humorous. The events depicted are purely nonfictional, any resemblence to actual events is purely intentional. If you find yourself getting excited relax its just the internet. :cool2

  23. #23farm_boy2007-11-13 01:06

    ointlaugh ointlaugh ointlaugh ointlaugh ointlaugh ointlaugh ointlaugh That is funny funny stuff!! Remember all of you Caterpillar fans out there.....when you're at the show and getting "wowed" by all of the glitz and glamor. Enjoy it because you are the ones paying for it by purchasing all of those over priced machines!!:drinkup Sorry, but I just had to :stirthepot

  24. #24JS580SL2007-11-13 18:37

    HaHa..........:drinkup Couple months after buying a Cat machine.......:Banghead

  25. #25Phil2007-11-13 20:09

    Klutz, Very interesting pictures, could be a sign of things to come. I thought Case had an original idea there, but I guess not. Phil