Was down to my local dealer and they had the new 140 in there lot looks pretty good from what I can see it’s an M series frame with the H series cab and controls hoping to get to demo this machine this spring only got a few pictures because it was -25 below outside
Nice to see the H series cab again. Never did care for the M series cab myself. Hope the machine works out for you.
Well, I have a few customers that those lights on gorilla bars wouldn't last 1 day.
I thought antler racks had vanished. Explains the H cab. Is that arrangement unique to the 140?
I see them on snow plows all the time.
I thought ape hangers were for Harleys. https://www.google.ca/search?q=ape+...BAgAEAE&biw=1516&bih=828#imgrc=563aZjB3s5W_KM :
I was always resigned to the fact that our next Cat grader would have to be an M, but perhaps not. It’ll be interesting to see how they perform.
That's a awesome looking machine, i'm glad Cat has reincarnated back to this style cab and controls with a good old steering wheel, the new version of the H series, the Cat 140
Would these be coming to Australia ?
I wonder if they made improvements to the moldboard? Our city is having lots of issues with the flexing moldboard on all their new 140M all wheel drives.
The m series do not have the extra bracing behind the moldboard like the H series had, this could be why they are flexing, they need to bring back the bracing to help support the moldboard.
The operators at my city also told me it has something to do with the tilt cylinder being in the extended position on the Cat whereas on the Volvo and Deere it is normally in the retracted position? I'm not a grader op so I have no idea. Just been working with them the last couple months and was asking them which models they prefer. So far everyone seems to prefer the new Deere's. And these guys are hard on equipment. The have already ripped moldboards and circles off machines. (you know.....don't own a bolt in it. LOL) They also said the Deere rep told them "you will never break one of our graders" and so far they haven't.
There is a cure for people who repeatedly abuse the iron. Most people will respond to a prolonged unemployment therapy followed by remedial education. If the patient does not respond they are declared to be terminated having not responded to therapy.
The ram being extended might be a problem but it has not been on my H series so far 13000hrs, we have had bent circles and circle forward support swivel beam on our new m series, there been so many problems with the M's that I can't remember if we had a mould board failure, the Deere's have been a good machine and are working out for us with very little issues, but find them not as comfy and not as well thought out as my H series, just my seat time running them both personal opinion, this new 140 is a gift from mother Cat for the older hands that learned and mastered blading on the lever style graders, hopefully none of the M series problems migrated to the new 140.
Something else I noticed, in the above picture of the new 140, that model does not have the new updated cab design that they have out now for the new 140, they are also not showing it on the Cat site yet either.
It's on Cat's web site. I downloaded the brochure and the spec sheets.
Oh great, thank you
Sorry, should have posted the link. Here it is: https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/motor-graders/motor-graders/2661581332365765.html Click on "View product downloads" and you now have to fill out a form, but then you can download the brochures. I looked at all the info here and on You Tube videos, but so far nothing really shown on the engine maintenance side of it. Not sure how good it is for cleaning the cooling modules and such. They only talk about the new filters.
To me, this is a curious claim. I assume they mean you shift less material to get to grade.
I checked out the Cat site did the download and they are still not showing the new style cab for the 140, the new style cab has the roll over safety rear beams in the middle of the back window and the two rear corners of the cab are now glass for better rear visibility, also I do not agree with these 1000hrs filter changes for the oil, not on a Huei pump engine, you will loose a pump every 2000 hours which there is a good chance it will take out the injectors, believe me I have seen it happen where Cat up the oil changes to 500hrs for the M series when the M's came out, pushing it as a money savings to the consumers, 10 grand to replace the pump and injectors getting Cat to do it if your over your warranty, way cheaper to be safe and change oil every 250hrs, but i'm afraid these new filters if you had to replace them would be costly.
Queenslander, it's a thing they all use nowadays....it's called marketing, LOL. I'm in the trucking industry and it's just like every year with the truck manufacturers and these new emission motors: Every year they say "our new aerodynamic truck gets 3 to 5 % better fuel economy." Our new motor gets 3 to 5 % better fuel economy. Next year it's.....you guessed it! Our motor gets 3 to 5 % better fuel economy! Geez, these new trucks should be getting 25 MPG now, LOL. Same with every year the talk about how "smart" these new electronics are. "We can just plug in and they tell us everything that is wrong" or "we can read fault codes over the air with telematics." Well then how come they can never get my emission motors fixed every week they are in the shop??? LOL
The issue of moving less material with GPS comes from the idea of putting it in the right place on the first pass instead of running over the same area multiple times trying to takes out the highs and lows. These are expensive systems and take education and skill to set it up and keep it running. But when it works properly, I've been told many times it delivers most of the claims. On the issue of oil change intervals, I have always believed that extending time between changes lessens potential life of lubricated components and should only be done with frequent monitoring through fluid analysis programs. I was present more than once when sales reps told customers they didn't have to check fluid levels on dipsticks anymore because the level was observable on the monitor panel in the cab. I didn't mind telling the customer that we kept exchange engines in stock for those people that subscribed to that line of thought.
We have 2D grade control on our 140H but, for the work we do, the bulk of the job is still done by eye. Certainly saves time and improves accuracy when trimming and checking grade but I’ve never thought of it as “saving material”.
I've operated this 140 and believe me, its a step backwards.The cab is the same as the early 140H.It's back to back breaking,butt busting seats and the noisiest cab I've been in since the old H.All the controls are the same as they were back in the day as well...ie... light switches,heater controls..etc etc.I've run Cat Gs..Cat Hs...Cat Ms and this "new" model but to be honest,I'm sitting on a Deere 872G now and It's the best one in the bunch so far..and thats coming from a "Cat Guy"
That doesn't sound to good, just wondering.. was the 140 you ran the earlier release, like one step up from the 140k, or was it the new updated cab with the air ride seat option, the updated cab has the rear roll over cab support in the middle of the back window, suppose to be more noise proof, warmer and ergo friendly, JD are nice but the new one I ran last year for abit didn't seem to suit me, I was glad to get back in my 140H.
1000 hours is a bit much. Pretty certain they aren’t HEUI though. They’ll be common rail.
Oh, I did not know that the c9 is common rail, thanks
Correction. The C9 is a HEUI engine. They like clean oil and filters - often.
Shoot. I thought they went high pressure with teir 4.
Seconded. We look after a 328D with a C7. We've changed the oil and filters every 250hrs from new and it's just clicked over 10,000hrs on the original pump and injectors, with no signs of trouble imminent. IMO, these are some pretty sweet oil sample results from a small-ish engine with high-ish hours.
Fatgraderman, C9 is HEUI. C9.3 tier 4 that the 140 has is a common rail high pressure engine.
On the last job where I looked after component condition/health we found that smaller engines like C-9/C-13, etc. were very sensitive to oil hours. Run them to 250 +/-25 hours between oil & filter changes and all was good. Run them much past 280-290 hours and the oil analysis looked like it fell off a cliff. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes and been there when the samples were taken I would have never believed it. That's why when sales guy talk about 500 and (gulp) 1000 hours between engine oil changes on smaller engines I tend to roll my eyes and think "yeah, right..... Let me know how that one works for you."
Had a C9 in a 12H 3 Heui pumps in 8500 hrs last one damaged injectors serviced on time every time. But seen them do 16-20k no problems luck of the draw . Still like the 3306 go for ever
When the 320D excavator came out having the C7 engines I saw a huge change in crankcase pressures. Cat engines always had over size breathers in past years and crankcase pressure was something you never saw over a couple of inches of water when tested at the dipstick. Since there was no spec in Cat literature other than air speed, I decided to check new engines for my own info. I was shocked to see ranges between seven and nine inches on new to near new engines at loads imposed by excavator hydraulic systems. Those engines didn't have EGR in that time frame. With that much pressure on a new engine plus the inclusion of EGR continuously recirculating the junk, I can never for the life of me fathom the idea of extended oil change intervals. I'm with Nige on this, extend oil change intervals at your own peril.
But yet problem is John, that the O&M Manual now says “Every 500 Hours or 6 Months” where before it was 250/3 months. Owners who don’t know any better will follow that info because the Book says so. 3500 engines are different. Ours go 500 hours between changes with no issues and could probably go 750.