Well I had the winning bid on the 2021 Cat 120H, 6YN00224. It is a well maintained ex TxDot machine from dry country that is quite tight. As mentioned in another post there are some tranny issues diagnosed by the dealer as coil/solenoid problems. As advised by the Master Nige, I will change both harnesses. For a short time I can get Cat OEM parts at dealer employee prices. I am going to obtain two set of filters and I'm considering a full set of solenoids. In this situation is this advisable? Or just the bad ones? Also what else should I obtain for this machine other than cutting edges? what's involved in changing the solenoids or coils? Thank you!
How many solenoids are "allegedly" bad.? Have you been into the electronics to look at Active Diagnostic Codes yet, or did the dealer do that.? If the dealer did it then do you have a copy of their report.?
Unfortunately I do not have access to that. It is my understanding it was over 1 year ago and through the typical bureaucracy it was decided to not spend the money on a 20+ year old machine. The unit sat for that period of time other than a technician starting and driving it around the yard occasionally. I was informed it has trouble going into 4th gear but it will go if you let off the throttle.
Personally I think I would start with a transmission oil/filter change and pull the suction screen(s) while the oil is out just to see if they tell you anything. You can do that before dropping loads of cash on wiring harnesses and solenoids.
Nige, As always I appreciate your advice and will follow it. The machine should be here late next week. I will keep you updated. I will also try to get the service records. Thank you again!
You should also study the Click Box thread in the Shop Talk section. The first stop when you look at the electronics is to determine what Active Diagnostic Codes you may have.
I again appreciate your expertise. I will have the dealer employee (family member) bring the "magic box" to check for codes prior to any parts order. I'm anxious to get the machine here! I have a mile of limestone gravel road to dress up and it will be fun with a modern grader with hydraulics compared to the permanently out of service Allis-Chalmers M-100 knuckle buster. That will soon be parted out. Great weekend to all!
Do some basic maintenance/diagnostics first and post up your results. If anything wiring-wise is dodgy/heat-affected it will most likely be the 147-1771 transmission control valve harness, Ref # 8 in the illustration below. It's only a short thing and easy to replace, but I still would not replace it unless it was proved to be in need of it.
thank you Sir!
Did you mean it's a 2001 instead of a 2021?
My mistake 2001. Good catch.
I was thinking a 2021 might still be on warrantee.
We wouldn't complain if you were to post a picture or two of the machine.
Arranging transportation now. It's a 340 mile trip home. I promise many pictures. Not with my luck...
Update, machine being loader tomorrow morning and should be here early evening.