One of the Princeton logging contractors has testing this new Cat 555 Skidder since last Christmas. It is one of 3 that Cat has out on test it is a huge machine. I have my 4 Runner parked beside it for size comparison. Word on the street is that when the test is over it will go back to the factory to be stripped down to see how well it survived. The Grapple picks up 3 bundles of wood and motors down to the landing. A couple of weeks ago their D-6 was stuck in the mud and this 555 went over and placed opened the grapple over the ripper lifted up and drove away with the 6.
Do you have any details on machine? Hp, etc? I used to run a 525 and I thought that was big but it looks like the 555 could carry that in the grapple
I do not know much more about the skidder it has had a few problems along the way. They good different rims for it as the rims spin on the tires in a hard pull and then the valve stem breaks and one has a flat. The operator lives down the street from me and would not send me his pictures of it working with out me going and asking his boss. His pictures are pretty good of where it goes with a huge drag behind it. But told me where it was at so I could get my own. Here is a link to a bit more about it, all I could find out. http://www.woodbusiness.ca/harvesting/all-about-the-power
Hank,machine must be in a nice location at the moment,no mud or dust on the "crew vehicle"
Got a lucky day just a light mist of rain over night. By Tuesday night the Skidder should be black, they are logging above Apex ski hill where a forest fire was so I guess you could say it is the Black forest. Hard on air filters.
Thanks - Great looking machine, but I fear what it looks like when you open an engine compartment side door with the new emissions aftertreatment stuff bolted onto the engine.....
They can not touch the machine if a slight problem comes up. Finning has to do all repairs and fine tuning, I heard each tire is $7,000. I asked this morning about HP and it is a unknown item.
Wonder how it sizes up with a Tigercat 630D?
Should be considerably bigger than a 630d.
Definitely smaller than this.... I'm sure it is a much better machine though...
According to a Cat, whats new, website the 555D is 275 HP. No other spec info as far as grapple size, weight, width, etc.
Wow that's huge! What's the story on that?
Looks like great visibility for the hook end, can't see much of anything pulling a turn?
That 880 almost looks like someone stuffed 4 rubber tires up under a D8
There was a company in Stratton Maine that had three of the Clark 880 and they still have two that are tucked away out back of their yard disappearing in the woods. The company I work for sold them when they came out, that was long before I worked there hut I have seen the pictures of them at the shop.
Hello, I am new here, but have trolled the forums looking for info in the past regarding my old clark 668C... That is until, I discovered the existance of the clark 880. Since then I have been searching all over the internet trying to find out what I could about them, and more importantly, were I could find one for sale . I believe that the clark 880 would be the ultimate piece of equiptment for me, for clearing farmland, pushing in road and of course, skidding trees. DirectTeck, am I to understand that you know of a company which has two of these tucked away doing nothing, likely for sale? Do you know if they run or just need an engine, when they were last fired up et cetera? I would really like to know more about them, and how to get a hold of the people who own them... I could not figure out how to private message or anything, so if you could get a hold of me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Alex
We had a 525D in the shop a couple weeks ago. I can't really say more than that about it than it was pretty cool. I know it sucks but might as well get used to it... The new machines now have DEF systems in addition to the DPF system.
The two 880's in maine were owned by Brochu. I believe they are gone now though, as of the last couple years. They were immense machines though.
A good friend of mine bought a 525D a couple of months ago. Ive ran it a little, always been a deere fan, grew up on the 548 and 648G3's, but once again like the new cat dozers I was impressed. It is very comfortable to operate and can not believe how quiet it is. Only problem that I know he has had with it is when he first got the Skidder it was burning around 2 tanks of fuel a day but the cat tech came out and took care of that. He said it's burning a little less now than the 2013 cat 525c was that he traded in.
curious about the radiator and cooling system? The front of that machine is a solid plate and I don't see any remote coolers or enough open area in the engine compartment for a radiator?.....TIO
The fan and radiator are at the rear of the engine compartment, positioned perpendicular to the engine. Some more info and pictures. http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/skidders/wheel-skidders/1000000355.html
I was in Williams Lake for the last few days and Finning had this bad boy sitting in front of there shop. so I had to get a picture or two. Looks like the grapple opens up to about 14 ft. Should of had this skidder 40 years ago when there was lots of big wood around in the interior. .. ,
I hauled that exact 555D a couple months ago out of Princeton and dropped it off up the Pike FSR off the 5A. Nice machine
Had a coffee with JW the other day and he said that the skidder is in Kamloops at Finning and they are doing a major tear down and rebuilt before Mac gets it back. Maybe you will be bring it over.
I hope so! K&L also bought one of these 555D's not too long ago and I think they are working it down around the Boston bar area. I was actually just in Princeton again today hauling logs way up the trout main just off the Princeton-Summerland highway, gorgeous country!
Had a coffee with one of the Linds this morning and told me they got it back from Finning on Wednesday and now it is down for the DEFF stuff screwed up.