I ordered a reman digital display part # 20R8760 aka 378-1006. Does anyone know - Will it need programmed by the dealer or plug and play?
What model machine is it for.? From memory it has to be flashed with software.
cat 287D
Everything I can find states that the 378-1006 has to be flashed but it has been cancelled and replaced by newer Part Numbers (543-1326 & 657-4558) and I’m fairly sure that the most recent number is pre-flashed. If the 20R8760 is based on one of those newer numbers then I wouldn’t mind betting that it is also pre-flashed. The operating software has also changed a couple of times, from 553-1194 to 578-6309 to the latest 608-9077. Why not try asking the dealer parts people if they can find out if the Reman P/N is pre-flashed or not.?
Sounds good and I will update after I talk to them. Thanks for the response.
While you are talking to them I suggest that you mention that your expectation is to be sold a fully functional working module, and if it is not flashed out of the box then you need it flashed before said box is handed over the counter to you. Otherwise it’s as much use to you as a brick.
Called dealer and they said the display has to be on the machine to program which will require Field $ervice and CAT ET and $1000.00 deposit on a credit card for a service call. The display was $1551.69 with tax and completely useless without spending at least another $500.00 to have it programmed. The machine runs and moves but I'm flying completely blind without the display, no gauges, tach, fuel, temp, oil psi, engine hrs or machine settings. Sinful how they take advantage of customers with their proprietary software.
Their service dept could have simply plugged the display into a machine in their yard and flashed it. That’s what any respectable dealer would do. Usual situation, parts & service depts not talking to one another. Does the possibility of taking the machine to them exist.?
Trailering the machine to them is a challenge to say the least. I'm not sure I even believe that they can't flash it separate. I worked for a CAT dealer for 21 years and we programmed ECMs on the bench all the time so not sure why a tiny display would be any different if you got the right setup which I doubt they have as most of the shops lack that kind of improv experience these days. Going home to see the kids for Easter and picking the display up on the way and will check with some people I know back home and hopefully return with a programmed display....
I have my fingers firmly crossed for you. It upsets me more than you can imagine seeing dealers behave like that. At least from earlier posts you have the latest software part number.
Same experience here. Back in the day we had a setup using a motorcycle battery to power the Comms Adapter so that we could flash electronic modules on the bench.
Not to throw gas on the fire, but what's worse is you don't flash these with ET/winflash. They have a usb port in the back and you have to use a thumb drive. Tell them to jam a power and ground wire into the plug and put a usb stick into it.
There was a case of a guy with an SSL a couple of weeks ago where the dealer told him that he’d have to take the machine to them for flashing after installing a replacement LCD display. I recall thinking that those displays could be flashed on the bench but at that time didn’t have access to the information to either confirm or deny that. IIRC the CMPD displays on the wiggle wagons are similar when it comes to flashing.
So I picked up the new display which was an upgrade to new part number from CAT part # 657-4558 vs 20R-8760. Plugged it in and it had preloaded software in it. It reads the ECM, and displays correct engine hours, temps, everything. The software in the display is 6618074-00. Per SIS the correct SW is 5783609. It may be a generic loaded software but it works to at least communicate with the ECM. I was able to reset the maintenance alerts as well as time and date with the display keys. Tested the machine and it seems to operate correctly although I have not dove into adjusting hydraulic speeds and leveling etc but I can at least use the machine to get the job done. I believe it can either be flashed with a dongle/USB or via CAN through the diag connector using ET as it has to be practically removed to go the USB route. I appreciate all the feedback and assistance.
SIS will not necessarily always show the latest software Part Number, you need TMI for that. As 6618074 is a newer part number than 5783609 I would imagine the software has been updated somewhere along the way. As a general rule of thumb the software part number is always higher than the part number of the module into which it is installed. I would imagine (but cannot confirm) that the 6618074 software would also be compatible with the former 543-1326 module.
hey everyone, Quick question: where can I download the firmware updates? i have the ET software 2023 , i know the display does not require it. i need to update / flash ECM also i want to get the updates for my monitor thanks
Does your ET have Winflash.? You will need it for the other ECMs
Hi Nige, yes i do have it !