Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Dozer for my Birthday

cb1 ยท 2010-03-24 00:26

How about a Allis Chalmers HD10W, serial numbers say its a 1950. I will post pictures tomorrow. He, he... can't wait to see if it fires..

Replies62
  1. #1John Canfield2010-03-24 09:43

    A loader and now a dozer - you have it covered!

  2. #2cb12010-03-24 14:05

    Pictures Pictures as promised...

  3. #3cb12010-03-24 14:08

    Some more pictures More pictures

  4. #4turbo87812010-03-24 14:52

    does she run ?

  5. #5cb12010-03-24 14:57

    It ran 13 years ago when she was parked there. I cleaned out the oil bath air cleaners and will put fresh oil in them and I blew out the sand from the intake stack tops (not in the pictures). I have a new battery on the charger. I will see if she will spin in the next couple days. Should be fun..

  6. #6plantman.uk2010-03-24 16:19

    what a lovely bit of kit nice to see the 'older' machines only a cople of years older than me....thanks for showing them

  7. #7Buckethead2010-03-24 19:58

    Nice machine! That looks just like the A-C dozers in the John Wayne movie "Fighting Seabees."

  8. #8d9gdon2010-03-24 20:15

    John Wayne You know Buckethead, I started in this business because I was warped from seeing John Wayne in the movie "Hell Fire Fighters" when I was about 6 years old running those old D7 17A's (I think) from the early 60's fighting oil well fires as Red Adair. I haven't seen it since, so I'm going by a 39 year old memory. I still remember him getting crushed in between the two dozers and thinking that it was real till my mom finally convinced me otherwise. Funny how some memories stick in your mind. That is a nice looking dozer you found in the woods, I bet it starts right up when you get the new battery on it.

  9. #9willie592010-03-24 20:18

    Looks like it's in really good shape, I like it! Looks like a 71 series Detroit in it. If it hasn't been cranked for several years, might be prudent to remove valve cover and make sure fuel racks are free. I'd even clamp a pair of vise grips on the fuel rack arm in case she fires off and the governer is stuck, they'll go wild then. And I would consider removing the intake housing off of the blower to inspect blower. I've seen moisture cause aluminum oxidation on engines that have been sitting to the point the blower lobes will scrape the oxidation on the inside of the blower housing. And it would be good to crank it for a few moments with the fuel shutdown to allow building a little oil pressure before she fires off.

  10. #10EGS2010-03-24 21:07

    Looks like a nice ride. Where in Wisconsin did you pick up the ole' girl?

  11. #11dieseldave2010-03-24 21:21

    That's real nice lookin' old dozer:drinkup

  12. #12Knucklehead2010-03-26 16:37

    Pull the side covers off and crank it over while squirting some oil on the pistons. You wouldn't want to scar a piston or liner! Good luck, we have a HD-19!!!!

  13. #13cb12010-03-29 17:59

    We'll she is a runner, yeah 30 psi oil pressure after about an hour of running and at idle. Smokes a little (a lot). Had to add hydraulic fluid to get the blade up. Still working the air out of the system. Everything seams to work except I have to shut it off to shift. If I don't, it will come out of gear but will not go into gear. Grinds. Is there supposed to be a clutch brake or something that stops the transmission imput shaft from spinning when shifting? Other than that I'm happy. Now that I have walked it over to the shop I will check it out and see what it needs to be a worker. I will have to wait to get some more mad money in the that account as I spent it all on it for now. Thanks, cb1

  14. #14cb12010-03-29 18:08

    The excessive smoke could be the 13 year old diesel fuel. Any recommendations for an additive when I add new fuel. I use SeaFoam in just about everything currently. Thanks, cb1

  15. #15RTSmith2010-03-29 18:15

    Congrats. Looks great!

  16. #16Komatsu 1502010-03-29 18:59

    Definitely should be a clutch brake when you push forward on the lever. Could be adjustment or a worn out brake.

  17. #17MrKomatsu2010-03-29 19:08

    well she still runs.......

  18. #18CM19952010-03-29 20:20

    Cb1, I merged the two threads together about your dozer. It's easier for the members to follow to have the whole story about your dozer carried in one thread. Thanks.

  19. #19cb12010-03-29 20:33

    No problem, I am no guru at this. Lucky I can post pictures...

  20. #20boaterri2010-03-31 21:28

    I use Howe's Diesel Treat in the 6-71s in my boat. Keeps any water in solution and adds lubricity (sp?) lost from the uls fuel we get these days. I am envious of your b'day present! Good luck! Rick

  21. #21vernier2010-03-31 22:05

    Hd10 Looks like you have a keeper there !! I spent some time on one of these machines when I first started out, those detroits kept everybody around them awake no doubt. Be sure to check the final drives and look for leaking seals back there, with the push beam mounted as it is it puts more shock load on those bearings. Looks like you might need a grill, I might know of a donor machine for parts if you are interested. Good Luck Vernier

  22. #22yoncy2010-04-01 01:45

    I can't believe it, it can actually run

  23. #23indian3472010-04-01 13:22

    Dd A lot of those DD smoked at idle she may strati n up after a bit of time. Nice find.

  24. #24Komatsu 1502010-04-01 18:00

    The Detroits were well known for blubbering and wet stacking when idled too long. They want to be under load and screaming to be happy.

  25. #25RDG2010-04-02 01:59

    I spent some time on an HD14 back in my early days, had the 6-71 GM was the same, blue smoke and slobbering also ran on 5 cyls some times, best fix was some hard work, get the temp up and blow the cobwebs out of it and it usually came right.

  26. #26graderkev2010-04-02 07:33

    befun to spend a little time on

  27. #27cb12010-04-02 13:12

    So, I'm working on my pickup in my shop, brother stops by so I start the Allis and raised the blade and left it running. Trying to burn up that 13 yr old fuel. Went in the house for lunch and check emails. Now I see the through the picture window, the left side of the blade is already on the ground and the rights side is about 6 inches from the ground. May have some bypass or seal leakage. Oh, and yeah, it has a little wet-stacking when she sits and idles.... cb1

  28. #28willie592010-04-02 19:56

    That's really a nice looking old machine, nice find bro. Are you planning on changing the engine oil? And yes, it should have some form of clutch brake as Komatsu150 stated.

  29. #29cb12010-04-02 20:11

    Yes, I plan on changing the engine oil and all of the filters. Antifreeze looks good. I am military manual on cd, hopefully that shows the clutch deal and how to adjust. cb1

  30. #30willie592010-04-02 20:15

    Sounds good. Be sure and use only SAE40 oil. You need one with a sulfated ash of 1.0 % or below. Chevron Delo 100 meets the Detroit spec the best, Delo 400 won't do. O'Reilly Auto Parts can still order Delo 100.

  31. #3151kw2010-04-03 14:38

    Dont let those detroits idle too long. Bring them up to 1/4 throttle or a little more. Thery will load up and run away when you do open the throttle. Had it happen on a truck. SCARY!

  32. #3251kw2010-04-03 14:42

    I think the best thing for that old girl would be to check all fluids and then take her out and make her work. Push some dirt.

  33. #33Jednlulu2010-04-06 23:44

    What a sweet find! And fired right up after sitting for so long? That's just too cool!

  34. #34tomgpasterik2010-04-09 09:18

    Location? Where did you end up finding that dozer at?

  35. #35cb12010-04-09 11:20

    We'll long story short. My uncle bought it at a auction 13-14 years ago and then brought it to his property across the road from my house and had it dropped. He never touched it. So, since I have looked at it for more than a decade, I figured I might as well own it and get it running. I am clearing a couple of acres for more apple trees and will use it and then decide its future. I am in no hurry, just something to do in my down time from work.

  36. #36cb12010-04-24 02:04

    Ok, working (putt-sing) through a couple issues before I push some dirt with it. Who sells a master pin for the track, online? I will get a picture and post soon. Thanks

  37. #37turbo87812010-04-24 12:23

    You'll have to find somebody that deals with the old AC's. I have a guy I use, he's in northern Oregon the company is called "parts unknown" and his name is Deck Hyde phone # 503-879-5440 great guy very helpfull. and yes show us some pics, you may not need any parts at all. There's lot of trick a guy can do to get by.

  38. #38MrKomatsu2010-04-25 17:23

    cb1...contact Quicktrax....hes a member of HEF....he can fix u up....

  39. #39FreedomMan2010-04-25 22:40

    Cherry. Even the paint job looks pretty good. I've got a '46 HD7 and it's a beast. I use it for clearing land for food plots...you know a nutjob deer hunter. I do have an issue...a pin on my track has cut loose and I need to line up the holes of the track to drive it back through. Once this is achieved, I need to spot weld the outside of the pin. I'm strugging with getting the holes to line up. I wratcheted the plates towards each other, but I'm flexing the track. Anybody on this thread have any insight? I'm trying to avoind driving off of the track to fix this.

  40. #40turbo87812010-04-25 23:27

    try running that part on to the sprocket to help you line it up. Thats what you have to do when putting a track back together any time that you've had the master pin out and you may want to put more than just a spot weld on it

  41. #41RDG2010-04-26 00:11

    We usually put a decent size block of wood between a grouser and the ground and drive the machine against it to hold it up against the sprocket or idler so that one end of the chain is half way round either one, then pull the slack end down to it. You need to make sure the track adjustment has been slackend off enough to give you enough slack. Cheers RDG

  42. #42turbo87812010-04-26 00:30

    10-4

  43. #43FreedomMan2010-04-26 08:35

    Thanks guys. I will try the track adjustment to give me some slack. Somehow I don't think that it's been turned since Eisenhower was in office. My buddy's father used to work on tanks and they had a dual threaded clamp that they would wrench together to force the links to line up....I'd have to make this, but I think it may be the ticket. Thoughts?

  44. #44skidsteer.ca2010-04-26 09:35

    Make sure your thermostat is keeping temps up too. DD hate to be cold, the slobering will stop when she goes to work and likely the smoke will ease up to. Ken

  45. #45turbo87812010-04-26 10:56

    You can do what ever you want, but I gaurantee any reputable cat shop will put the track together by using the above mentioned strategy of meeting the 2 ends together over the sprocket

  46. #46cb12010-05-04 18:26

    Update, Got my neighbor to make a pin. Only broke one towing chain pulling the track together, but its done. Now on to the hand clutch. Well, both bushings that clutch shaft rides on/in are shot, easy fix. Now, I see that one of the three compression springs is laying in the bottom of the case with its nut. Must have come undone some time ago as it was stuck to the bottom by grease. Would that be why the detent for over center was not very noticeable? Let me know what you think. The biggest problem is that the clutch brake lining is completely gone. No wonder why the cut the floor plate so they had more travel for the brake. Anyway, anyone know who can reline it. I sent an e-mail to a on-line advertised company for relining, we'll see. Anywhere, thats where I am at currently..

  47. #47cb12010-05-04 21:15

    It seems my neighbor can make the lining also. Might actually push some dirt in little while..

  48. #48vjdoz2010-05-05 17:31

    We use marvel mystery oil with new low sulfer diesel fuel

  49. #49Rowdy162010-05-05 18:24

    +1 I don't know if its right or wrong, though.

  50. #50cb12010-10-17 00:15

    OK, update, its been awhile. 2 of my brothers and another 2 relatives were over and wanted to see the old girl push dirt. So I told them I had about a hour of work to do to her before we could see what she would do. They agreed to help and we changed the fuel, oil, all of the filters, put 2 track pads on and finished the master clutch assembly and left hand clutch and brake assemblies. Took about an hour and a half. Fired her up and went over to my brothers and cut a fire road into his property for about a quarter mile with about three corners otherwise straight lines. I ran the master clutch, shifter, throttle and left hand steering clutch/brake. Mike ran the hydraulics for the blade and the right hand steering clutch/brake. The seat is about 4 feet wide so two adults can sit comfortably beside each other. What a blast, hydraulics are slow, so you have to pre-plan all of your blade movements by about 15 seconds. Plenty of power, it will bury it self if you put it up against a big tree. 3rd gear high range is ridiculously fast, especially with 2 people steering. Will be clearing up a couple of acres before winter and then I will be selling her. If I don't get enough money for her, I will be pulling the 4-71 for a future project and scrapping the rest. I can not believe the motor runs so sweet. And with the new fuel, she doesn't smoke as much as she did with the 20 year old fuel.... In the next couple weeks, I will have my daughter make a short video of the old girl at work.

  51. #51hardtail2010-10-17 00:33

    Can't wait to hear the screaming vid........a buddy has 2 HD10's, I always liked them......sorry to hear about the sale......try to let her go and not cut it up, the AC stuff is getting scarce and that one looks in great shape............

  52. #52Digger Dan2010-10-17 09:08

    Cant wait to see the video, nice work getting her going

  53. #53oldtanker2010-10-17 12:08

    Man nice dozer, I'd love to have something like that! If you were not so far on the wrong side of the border I'd talk to you about it...LOL! BTW you guys can have Farve back...ROFL....and the Vikes thought he was the solutions to all thier problems! Rick

  54. #54cb12010-10-17 23:35

    Tightened the right side track today and took her behind the house today and moved some dirt. I am very impressed with the power it has. You can not stop the tracks from turning. Would make an impressive farm tractor, which I believe they were originally designed for. The hydraulics are primitive and under powered and very slow. I imagine the pump and some of the seals are weak. No leaks though. Not operator friendly. I imagine it could be re-engineered to work better. Rick-I have been a Vikings fan since I knew what football was. By the looks of todays games (MN and GB) we didn't do to bad.

  55. #55oldtanker2010-10-18 10:36

    LOL thats true but I think if the Vikes want to go to the Super Bowl they better order thier tickets now.....I got interested in football and girls at the same time and the only team that had good cheerleaders, Cowboys..............Been a fan sense then! Rick (social outcast cause I'm in Vikes country and like the Cowboys)

  56. #56jimrr2010-10-18 11:07

    yes, lubrication maintenance before it's moved.....or as soon as possible after you have it moved it vital as the most wear will occurr at this time. when you de-clutch don't shift till machine is stopped and yes, pushing on the clutch lever after dis-engaing xmission may move a brake shoe against the clutch plate to slow the shaft like on cat.

  57. #57minn2010-10-20 13:41

    How much are you asking for it? I may be interested.

  58. #58cb12010-10-20 14:33

    Just had a guy over that has a small (one man) excavating business. He may take in trade for finishing up my project. He is going to let me know Monday of next week. I have many piles of stumps and some concrete from an old foundation that need to be taken away, plus another acre to be stumped. He has the trucks and newer equipment and the project would get done allot quicker that what I can do. I'm just running out of time. He drove it today and was somewhat impressed. If he doesn't want it, I will let you know. He will give me a price for the work then and that may dictate whether the sale or not....

  59. #59minn2010-11-10 14:24

    Did you trade your dozer for the work you needed done?

  60. #60cb12010-11-10 17:52

    Yes we made a deal. He has until next spring to complete. He wants to haul all of the stumps, trees and concrete during to winter, to keep busy. He is an equipment guy and likes some of the old stuff. So it will be around for a while more. At least it ain't going to the scrap yard.

  61. #61lectro882010-11-10 23:08

    Where's the video. Hate to hear you letting her go. I was laughing pictureing the 2 of you steering in fast motion. Then I remembered the old jd 450 we had when I was a kid, manual tranny. It took both hands to pull each steering brake. And I told my wife it probably did take 2 to run that Jewel. A true oldy goldie. I say that DD will still be running in 50 years, Truely bullet proof. Thank you for showing.

  62. #62jimrr2010-11-15 10:20

    I believe colman surplus sells the track clamps that may work for you and they are pretty cheap new surplus.