Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new equipment fuel

cat320 ยท 2015-02-09 14:16

I have been using regular diesel/home heating oil for my off road equipment but now all the new equipment says use ultra low sulfur diesel. so has anyone used regular diesel in these machines? what will happen if you don't use the low sulfur?

Replies14
  1. #1countrybob2015-02-09 14:26

    low sulfur fuel means no lubrication to the injection pump or injectors that's why they request an additive to be used tranny oil 2 stroke oil seems to work and is cheaper but united diesel sells a good additive fairly cheap hope this helps in a nutshell

  2. #2farmIT2015-02-09 15:51

    Regular fuel is perfect, it all comes out of the same off road tank, From what I hear. We have new iron and use dyed, It is same a heating oil minus the tax for heating oil.

  3. #3AllDodge2015-02-09 16:38

    Agree, on road (no dye), off road (red dye), and everything I buy around here is ULSD. Don't know for sure, but isn't home heating oil No 1 diesel, not No 2. No 1 diesel is close to kerosene and runs to hot

  4. #4lantraxco2015-02-09 20:48

    "Home heating oil" can be pretty much anything, or a mix of two more products from kerosene to dang near bunker fuel, depending on where you're located, who you buy it from, and what's available for the vendor to buy on the market. The sulfur level can be all over the map also, again depending on which state you're in. Unless the oil company you buy from can give you some sort of certification for the product they deliver I would never use anything but ULSD in any engine that requires it. Very likely to cost you thousands of dollars in short order, the really new stuff you might lose the DPF or the catalytic in addition to parts of the fuel system. I would think best case you would have constant fuel filter issues, the newer machines the fuels filters are like a factor of ten times finer than the old standards. Home oil furnaces are a high pressure pump, a nozzle, ignitor and a blower, not exactly high tech or high performance.

  5. #5CaptainAnalyzer2015-02-11 07:53

    How new of equipment?

  6. #6BSAA65LB2015-02-11 08:17

    If your equipment says ULSD and has a DPF or catalyst, use of anything other than ULSD is going to get very expensive. And it is not covered by warranty The fuel system components will live with ULSD, using oil or additives in fuel will damage the catalyst sooner or later. Again, that will be out of your pocket and not cheap. It is your equipment and your wallet, you decide......

  7. #7Diesel Dan 922015-02-12 13:15

    Pretty much any #2 diesel you can buy is all the same ULSD. My fuel supplier fills my offroad tank, on road tank, and my house with the same fuel.

  8. #8Kater2016-12-02 14:55

    I had 200 gallons delivered a few years ago and I have not added additive. I only use it for my Ford 6700 and buy diesel from the fuel stations for my JCB 260 skidloader. What additives are recommended?

  9. #9cat3202016-12-02 15:14

    I use power service in all my diesel equipment http://powerservice18-px.rtrk.com/?...=SEMPowerServiceProductsWinter&utm_medium=CPC

  10. #10bam19682016-12-02 19:11

    I have had good luck with Howes. A number of years ago my neighbor and I split a 55 gal drum of Power Service and it turned out to be a miserable winter for both of us. We were mainly using it in trucks. After a couple weeks of fighting gelled up trucks I gave up on the Power Service and started using Howes and my gelling problems basically went away overnight. I have been using Howes now for about 15 years and am very satisfied. Just my $.02

  11. #11Jonas3022016-12-02 19:57

    No Additives are recomended or needed

  12. #12Delmer2016-12-02 20:36

    A few years ago you should have added a stabilizer. Nobody recommends storing fuel for a few years with no special treatment. Drain the water from the tank regularly, don't draw the fuel off the bottom of the tank, and try not to age your fuel so much. The tractor is probably not going to care, but why push your luck?

  13. #13CaptainAnalyzer2016-12-03 20:10

    Howes gets my vote. Especially for our cold weather months here in the Midwest.

  14. #14Kater2016-12-04 02:56

    Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. The first year I asked my mechanic cousin but he's always so busy, I said should I buy the farm and fleet stuff and he said no, I have something better, but he never brought it or told me what it was. I am not sure how to drain the water...it's an above ground tank with a gravity ________ thing that puts fuel in the tractor... Hurts a little, back then fuel was $4/gallon.... I guess I could look at it as at least I can replace it with cheaper diesel from the station. Thanks for all the answers....Thanks, bam1968 for the heads up on Howes.