Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Forum: Safety Competition!

digger242j ยท 2007-07-09 00:43

We have a new forum! Share the lessons about safety that you learned the hard way, and help your fellow members avoid making the same mistakes. It's a friendly, informal competition to see who can be most informative, or entertaining, or buy the most votes from fellow members. The point is to learn from each other's mistakes, and become safer in doing so. Don't be afraid to admit you didn't do something quite right. It's subtitled "Leading by (lousy) example". :notworthy

Replies68
  1. #1thejdman042007-07-17 17:49

    Good idea, but I plead the 5th

  2. #2LowBoy2007-07-17 18:30

    That's a great subtitle Mr.digger, but in my case, the category would be best described as "hard to soar with eagles when flying with turkies"...Me being the Head Turkey, of course...:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

  3. #3digger242j2007-07-17 19:07

    Yeah. It does take a big man to admit when he's screwed up... (That's called "reverse psychology"...)

  4. #4LowBoy2007-07-17 19:26

    Can I chime in and call it, in my case, "The Truth?"

  5. #5tw_6920002007-11-27 23:04

    screw ups I work with a guy that can'' break an anvil '' as we say it, he sure makes the rest look really good..lol..... he makes them forget when someone makes small mistakes....lol

  6. #6digger242j2007-11-27 23:13

    Not much competition going on for this quarter. Nobody doing anything wrong? :cool2

  7. #7pushkid842007-12-17 21:37

    oops! dont be scered! i do my very best to be as safe as possible, and to look as best as i can. being a young operator it is hard to get a good rep alot of plder guys look at you like you dont know a whole lot so for me it is important to the very best job i can. but ill be the first to say that i have made mistakes: never let your scraper can get of the edge, allways put your backho in park before you spin around to dig. like i say i know some good hands the best ive ever seen and they admit to it, and some make mistakes. if you spend enough time in a seat somthing even extremely miniscuel will happen. it is what it is!!:beatsme

  8. #8RollOver Pete2007-12-17 22:49

    I got stung by a bee. Does that count?

  9. #9637slayer2007-12-26 18:29

    i started working for a new company and i noticed the mechanic one day grab his leg and lift it up to get up on a scraper. after i got to know him i asked what his prob was, he said one day changing cutting edges the apron cylinder gave and wacked his foot off clean at the ankle.the only other company i ever worked for always stressed putting in the safety bolt to hold apron up and i finally seen what happens when it is not used.NEVER LET ANY ONE WORK ON THE APRON,CUTTING EDGES OR ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES THE APRON TO BE OPEN WITHOUT LOCKING IT OPEN WITH SOMETHING needless to say with the companys lax safety rules later that summer their top 37 hand ran over two state surveyers while they were putting in the bluetops or feathers, killing one of them.

  10. #10637slayer2007-12-26 18:32

    p.s. dont learn safety by accident!!

  11. #11637slayer2007-12-30 13:22

    i was working in a place here in wyoming called shirley basin reclaiming an old uranium mine, i was running a 641b, we couldnt drive our vehicles onto the mine so a scraper would go pickup the pushcat hand and give him a ride back to the lineup where we all parked and got into a van. one day i stopped and picked him up he was a big grouchy man, he was too tough to ride anywhere but standing on the swingy steps hanging onto the grabhandles, so he could talk to me, it was a 641bwith a cab so i had the door screwed open.i got up into 5th or 6th gear kinda taken it easy with my passenger road was smoothly bladed, goin through a maze of old topsoil piles left over from the 70s, when he said go left i replied no i know where im going, same shortcut ive taken 50 times, without warning the dumbass grabbed the wheel and turned onto the road he wanted we hit an old frozen windrow that was big enough to be left by a 16, off he flew he must have landed flat on his back,the way i was turning i didnt want to can it out in case he was in front of my can, so i just stomped on the brakes and tried to lift the can. before i even stopped completely he had jumped up and was climbing back on,it happened so fast that it all took awhile to sink in,that i could of killed him.i know people ride on scrapers all the time but if you can avoid it you should.

  12. #12Loaderman3802007-12-30 21:55

    Along those same lines Slayer, back when I was first getting into the business I was working for a company that did stevedoing (loading and unloadng ships). We were working on aquiring enough material to make up a shipload (35k tons). The object of this game was to get the material dry and keep it that way. The material was coal, but is looked more like coarse sand. The way we dried it was to spread it out on the paved ground and turn it over with a tractor and a chiseltooth plow. After we got it dry enough we would push it up into piles and cover it with large tarps. We used old truck tires to hold down the tarps. The problem came one day when a storm started to blow in. We had dry material piled up but uncovered, so another operator and myself jumped into a Cat 980B to grab some tires in the bucket and help with covering the pile. Well the storm moved faster than we did and the win was whipping all the dust into the air and although it was around noon it was as dark as midnight. We proceded onto what was the floor of a warehouse building that had been torn down, the building was fairly large, aprox. 250ft wide and 450ft long, and that was where the pile of dry material was located. Along one side of the floor of the building was a railcar loading platform, aprox 4 1/2ft higher than the ground. Now to get to the point. We did two things wrong that day. First we were operating a machine when we couldn't see two feet in front of us, and we were two people in a machine desigined for only one operator. The end result, we picked up the truck tires and proceded to travel across the building pad, while we thought we were going is a straight line we were actually traveling at an angle and before we could do anything the machine drove right off the edge of that loading platform landing on thr pavement and rail tracks on ist side with me underneath. I was sitting in the doorway while the other operator sat in the seat. When the macined came to rest I was on the ground with my feet in the cab and the door above me. I had been crushed aparently by the doorframe where it attaches to the cab. I suffred some pretty serious internal injuries and spent 4 days in intensive care and a few more in the hospital. Sorry for such a long post but riding two on a machine is a real big pet peeve of mine, thankfully I am able to share a really bad experience with others and hopefully prevent someone else from going through it.

  13. #13union4life2008-04-01 21:04

    keep eye contact with everyone around u make sure u see them and they see, u

  14. #14armadillo2008-04-22 20:16

    NEVER assume the opperator knows you are there. EYE TO EYE CONTACT!!

  15. #15hoeman6002008-04-22 22:10

    if yer gonna be dumb. YOU better be tough!!! always ground yer buckets, blades, worktools ,etc rofessor

  16. #16CatYelloBlooded2008-04-27 18:40

    As a young mechanic, i've seen many men in this business with missing fingers, and heard many tales of lessons learned. One former employee, for example didn't tag out a military D8H my shop was building and pushed it outside to open up the shop bay. That would have been fine but the crankshaft was only helt up by two mains and four of the rods were apart. Our washrack attendant saw the machine outside and took it upon himself to wash it. It fired right up when he started it and by the time he realized something was wrong there was a rod hanging out the side of the block. But it wasn't his fault. The machine was not tagged out. Many people take that in one ear and out the other but it really can be important. Lesson learned at our shop.

  17. #17ringer2008-07-20 19:41

    didnt call for locates hit a gas line on friday after noon scared the -- out me. first time hope its the last

  18. #18Dirtman20072008-07-20 22:09

    Yeap all is going good then.... WHOOOOSH! Haul A double S!!! Been there dun that, don't wanna do it again though And our's was marked... well they were off 4'

  19. #19Johnsoils2008-07-31 00:02

    Be sure that grinding an cutting wheels are rated for the max speed of the grinder they are on. Seen a nasty photo at work last week from another pipeline company were a welder had a cutting wheel explode and half of it was stuck in his helmet below the lens. It fully penetrated the hood and cut him, but no doubt it would have killed him if he wouldn't have had the full face helmet on and down. PPE saves lives!!!!

  20. #20stock2008-08-10 03:32

    Had a guy last year track back over a whacker and the lad using it hasn't stopped running yet told the operator to collect his buckets and go home he had no sence of safety :beatsme:beatsme:beatsme

  21. #21Bellboy2008-11-05 11:42

    I nearly had my head lobbed off by a TLB, coz I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was doing a tight turn in a tight area, and I had my back against a wall, But luckily my eyes ain't too bad and I saw it and ducked in time. Got a whole lot of dirt down my shirt, but my head is still on my shoulders! At the same place, its a railway museum, one of our assistants was cleaning up after we had run our big Cowans Sheldon steam crane, stepped on one of the cocks, letting off a torrent of steam, which he happened to fall into the path of, and sustained 3rd degree and 2nd degree burns to his arms and chest. There was then a big fight amongst the curators as to why he didn't know of the valve/was opening a valve/**** when he shouldn't have been. He's fine now.

  22. #22LOW BIDDER2008-11-15 20:49

    About 10 years ago I was clearing some palm trees, pushed over 50 or 60 the same way with a Case 9040 Hoe. The one that made me go home and think about it, was the one that sprung back and crashed thru the windshield glass, I was sure it was going to land on me however it landed on the tracking levers and made the machine start tracking foward. This started to make the tree push me out the back cab glass. I tried to reach the controls but the top of the tree was in my face and under my neck. Somehow I was able to reach the key and shut down the machine. Once I could think straight, I was able to move the stick and get the tree off the levers. There were 10 other operators on that job and not one that could see me and what was going on. I was lucky, that damn tree could have pushed the upper part of my body out the rear window of that machine.

  23. #23JDOFMEMI2008-11-16 18:30

    Another good reason to have your machine "face" the work, ie: drive motors to the rear. Then the tree would have pushed the levers in, and the machine would back away from the tree untill it was not pushing. On another note, I have been clearing small trees with an open cab D-8K, and had a branch snap around and come up under the decel pedal while I was idling along. It caused me to speed up, and then the whole tree was coming into the cab. I was able to react in time and throw it into reverse to get out of trouble.

  24. #24KevD8152008-12-15 17:34

    Just keep in mind that you can learn something from anyone! Dont be closed minded! That being said, i work for a developed/builder and im the youngest guy there. I may only be 21 but I take my work seriously and strive to do it safely and efficiently. A few weeks ago we were removing and old cracked sidewalk right next to an addition we had just finished. One of the owners of the company showed up and told me to take a break. He jumped into our backhoe and started lifting chucks of concrete. He got to one large piece (4'x8') that wouldnt brake so he tried to stand it up on edge. I stopped him and told him that if the bucket slipped the boom was going to swing right through the house! Well, he decided no to listen to the "kid" and sure enough the bucket slipped and he swung it right though the wall smashing a brand new window in the process!

  25. #25KevD8152008-12-15 17:44

    one more. Make sure you parking brakes are properly adjusted! The guys i work with like use the backhoe bucket as a work platform. One day I loaded up a few hunded pounds of shingles in the bucket and lifted it up to the side of the roof. The machine was on a small hill. I set the parking brake, jumped out of the machine, and the guy on the roof jumped onto the bucket. Luckily i was still close by because the machine started to roll down the hill with a roofer still on the bucket!

  26. #26Bellboy2008-12-17 00:45

    Seatbelts, they are there, but not worn enough. The main problem with trying to curb accidents om these 2010 worksites is trying to get the operators to wear safety belts. They are damn uncomfortable, but can mean the difference between life and death if a machine were to roll (something that happens frequently, but don't hear much of!)

  27. #27Haul-Pak2008-12-17 14:11

    Two Rule's I have when Working in the Pit. 1' Never wear a seatbelt. 2' Always Tilt your steering wheel forward. Till it hit's the stop. Reason: Quick escape if a 300 ton+ Haul truck is after you.

  28. #28Bellboy2008-12-18 00:36

    I suppose you have a point. What vehicle are you driving?

  29. #29Haul-Pak2008-12-18 08:43

    Ah sorry I should have stated. I drive a F550 service Vehicle (Just a Little guy in the pit) Not equipment I know but, still on the same playing field as the big boy's. 3' Alway's push the seat right back as well :thumbsup Passanger for a change: 1' Same as other three exept no steering wheel. 2' Rest your hand on the door latch (Nice and comfy)

  30. #30milling_drum2009-01-01 20:58

    Its actually a little funny but, pretty much all the asphalt milling companies that have pictures posted of jobs, hardly anyone wears a safety vest or hardhat. Down south wearing a hardhat on road jobs is like your an ***hole or something and people hate you for it. I am going to work for a company soon that has a few brand new asphalt mills. The owner of the company has completely removed the seats. I have always been opposed to seats on a mill because it makes the operator lazy in certain situations where he/she needs to be alert, like backing up. Safety on jobs is everyones job.

  31. #31sophia chen2009-02-18 04:10

    have to reply post according to administor requirement... Is there some one focus on off highway truck industry?? specially for Komatsu,Euclid,TEREX truck, I need help, need to exchange some information from people who are interest in ,of course expert will be highest appreciated!

  32. #32Panhandler Bob2009-03-13 22:57

    I'm allergic to bee's. :drinkup

  33. #33TRADITIONAL2009-03-26 07:58

    Tree cutting is dangerous I am in the tree business met a customer yesterday with a big bandage and crutches . The tree he has cutting jumped off the stump and mauled his leg .He needed surgery and a long rehab. When cutting a tree always clear an exit route or two so you know where your going when the tree comes down .If things go wrong don't run ,look up and position yourself .Most people get killed running away!!!

  34. #34Terra Bull2009-06-22 02:49

    did some M series operator training the other day for a county hand the other day that was on crutches because he was cutting a limb off of a tree and was on the wrong side of the limb. I think his safety videos must have contained wiley coyote scenes

  35. #35Abscraperguy2009-08-05 15:32

    On some of the early and possibly current Case IH STX tractors pressing in the clutch and pressing the brake real hard when going downhill or under higher speeds will kill the engine. The odd thing is, there is no lugging or anything, it kills it instantly. Unfortunately I know this by experience.

  36. #36Digga Dave2009-12-13 02:33

    As one of my duties is the induction and training of new operators, I have a few general rules that not negotiable! 1. NO SEAT ~ NO RIDE ~ NO EXCEPTIONS 2. Hi-Visabilit y clothing (vests or shirts) must be worn by all! 3. All sides of the machine are a BLIND SPOT until operator acknowledges you. 4. Ever y thin g is on the ground when you walk away from your machine. I've had instances where each of the above have applied to me in the past and could have ended in a nasty way but happily everyone is still around to share a beer with me.

  37. #37stock2009-12-13 02:52

    Same as here Dave.

  38. #38WiganPhil2010-03-08 17:23

    Hi Fellas, I,m new to this forum and I have been reading the posts. I have had many near misses in my time and the one that stands out is the time I got knocked out cold.I was operating an old CAT 68A and rope scraper stripping topsoil on a opencast coal mine here and the tipping rope got a flat spot on it.I dropped the box,looked at the rope and decided to pull it off the winch so I could chop it and re-rope it. I pulled the slack off but the "pear" was stuck in the slot in the winch and wouldnt budge.usually I could lever it out with a long screwdriver but it was having none of it.I got impatient and decided to yank on the rope to get it out.I gave it my best shot and I remember waking up with the grease monkey looking down on me laughing! I had pulled so hard that pear shot out,hit me on the forehead and knocked me unconscious! I still have the scar

  39. #39Abscraperguy2010-03-22 23:59

    Just reading through all these posts and got some questions for you guys. What do you think about hard hats on road construction jobs? I've heard that in some provinces here in Canada its optional if no overhead work is being done. I know in one jursdiction what started this was a flag girl lost her life because of hers. A wind came up and knocked hers off and she unknowingly stepped out in front of a truck when she reached to get it. Lets hear your thoughts.

  40. #40stock2010-03-23 07:04

    Well we designate all our road jobs hard hat areas because on risk assessment the risk of something falling off a dumber or structure is high, if as has happened to me a passing truck whipped my helmet off,I left it go and got a new one with a chin strap and subsequently fitted straps to the rest of the crew.

  41. #41Luni2010-04-18 01:26

    nice shirt

  42. #42whitemudgardens2010-08-24 23:38

    My friend and I a long time ago where running our first New Holland LS 125 (very small machine thankfully) and were attaching a chain to the bucket to pull something out. My friend told me to lower the arms which I did and his hand got caught in the hydraulics. Very bad. We got it out and everything was all good but we learned a big lesson. The home owner's daughter came out (who was stunning) and he had to hold back the pain, precede to smile as if nothing was wrong. Be careful around all machinery no matter what! That was a good 10 years ago and safety has become a major concern of mine since that point

  43. #43Rally_Action2010-08-25 19:48

    We had an accident on the weekend just gone. We were up on our farm using the backhoe to move a 1000L water container in our machine shed. My JCB has roll over forks fitted which are very difficult to see from the operator seat as the front bucket obstructs view. My father in law was acting as spotter and guiding me up to the water container. He was standing away to the left side of the machine and water container, using his right hand to signal me. Unbeknown to me (and to him), he had his left hand resting on the top of the water container. He signalled me to tilt the forks upward and as I did, his left little finger was crushed between the top of the water container and a horizontal timber purlin along the back wall of the shed. This accident resulted in him having to have surgery to fix his finger which also required inserting a pin to support the broken bone. Luckily it was not too mangled and it was not his whole hand. A valuable lesson was learnt to keep not only your body, but also your hands well away from machinery and equipment whilst in operation....

  44. #44ke6gwf2010-09-18 01:18

    Out here in Kalifornia, CalTrans (DOT) worksites require Hardhats. Period. I have been doing a lot of work on the edge of Bay Area freeways this year, (sometimes even protected by K-rail!) and although most of it doesn't involve overhead, I have gotten to appreciate my hard hat. If I am grade-setting, shoveling, etc for the backhoe it has protected me from tossed/dropped/bounced/shaken or otherwise launched rocks/clods from jerky operators/hoes. Since it is often tight areas, I frequently find myself working next to the stick/bucket, and tend to keep my head down so if they slap me, it gets the hat first. Most any of the quarries, A/C plants, dumps, recycling yards, recycling quarries (that is where they are "quarrying" a giant mountain of recycled a/c and concrete, sometimes in the middle of a commercial area, providing Class 2 Base Rock, sometimes even using it in the A/C plant next door), etc in this area require hard hats and vests if you are out of the truck. (I drive 10-wheeler, haul equipment behind it and with our Cozad, operate, repair and just generally find as many ways to try to get into trouble with the largest and yellowest pieces of iron I can find!) (Oh, and get quite a bit of stick-time with our new "Green" Excavator. It's made out of Recycled Iron, and Oak, a Renewable Resource. It's powered by Bio-Fuels, and has a low Greenhouse Gas Emmission as long as I haven't eaten too many beans...) On the original thread subject, I have no interesting stories, since I have ALWAYS been safe... :usa :angel:Cowboy:guns:badidea:bash:crazy lmao I really have had a boring life as far as accidents have gone, but I can't say the same thing for my Guardian Angel! I have had or been the intended victim of so many close calls in many different lines of hazardous work over the years... But they never got interesting. I learned many things from them, including which operators to stay away from! Well, there was the time I needed to move one of the Mercedes 1017A 4x4 flat-bed trucks we had gotten from US Military Surplus so I could start working on it to get it ready for sale, and after starting it up and beginning to drive it, I discovered that it had air-over-hydraulic brakes, the spring-pod air-release parking brakes had been backed off so just because it would move didn't mean I had enough air pressure, and it took quite a while to build up useable air pressure, I didn't know how to shut the engine off and none of the various knobs, switches, buttons, pedals, keys, verbal command recognition devices, etc did anything to further the goal of not furthering the progress down the slight hill towards the front end of an old Intertrashinal. Oh ya, all the labels were in German, and I have a grasp of about 6 such words, most of them not helpful to this situation. Although knowing how to ask for the nearest restroom might have been helpful afterwards... So, after doing an integrity test on the bumper mounts, I waited a while until the air built enough to apply the brakes and pop the clutch to kill the engine (not easy with that Mercedes Diesel either... I like them!), popped the cab and discovered that to kill the engine you have to step on the left-heel controlled exhaust brake floor button, which has a linkage going from the air cylinder on the exhaust butterfly over to the injection pump to shut fuel down. Very nifty system. It doesn't work however if you don't have air pressure, plus the linkage was rusted in place so it didn't work anyway! The next one I moved down the hill to the shop had no brakes, so I put it in low gear, and had the big forklift drive a few feet in front of me in case I lost the gear. I liked those trucks! Ben~

  45. #45Bubba2010-09-28 14:27

    Always check the equipment for a fire extinguisher if you are clearing land by yourself. If you don't get burned trying to put the fire out on your dozer belly pan You will have a heart attack trying get enough dirt up to put the fire out. Regardless if you have insurance or not, human nature want let you just stand there and look at your equipment go up in flames

  46. #46JVS Equip2010-10-08 20:18

    Saw an operator turn his backhoe while reversing using the right side brake. Thing is, he didn't look before and the speed he swung with, the cutting edge of the loader end tore through another guys shirt without touching his stomach (Yes he did try jumping backwards out of the way) Everyone froze for a bit. Needless to say, he slowed his pace for the remainder of the job.

  47. #47motrack2010-10-28 11:34

    I dont tell this story much but here goes........... Back when Deere introduced the 450C I was a young buck just moving from the shop to a service truck and one day got sent to check a steering problem on a brand new 450C delivered to a job site. It had been raining for several days and the whole location was mud and water puddles. I arrived at the location and fired up this dozer moving it back and forth........ everything seemed to work ok including the steering. So I then decide to drive it around a bit and see how it operates. I drop it in gear and take off tracking thru a water puddle only to find out that "puddle" was a hole 12ft deep...... ointhead No fence, no barrier of any kind around this hole and it turned into a real heated conversation as to who was to blame and too what degree. I never assume that puddle of water is just a puddle of water

  48. #48scarfo2010-11-05 13:51

    Does anyone know where i can purchase/find rock truck training materials??

  49. #49JDOFMEMI2010-11-07 16:23

    There are several places to get them. MSHA has a variety of training aids, and has a lot of haul truck material. www.msha.gov Here is a list of training aids: http://www.msha.gov/training/catalog/trainingproductscatalog2006.pdf You can also search for the MSHA channel on youtube. They have hundreds of videos, and it is all free. Cat has training material as well as classes you can take. http://www.cat.com/operator-training http://safety.cat.com/ There are others, but these will get you started.

  50. #50jd19542010-11-20 15:51

    Protect your eyes,wear your safety glasses!

  51. #51Deeretime2010-11-20 22:01

    If you see someone doing sompthing stupid on your site, make sure they understand what theyre doing wrong because in canada anyone that observes a "unsafe activity" can and will be held responcible. I had a labouror that had no common sense once and he decided to slide down the frosted sewerpipe in the ditch while waiting to check grade. He got alot of speed up and slid over the first bell then caught the 2nd bell and ate S*** resulting in a broken ankle and Me being held responcible as an observer!

  52. #52JD450A2011-01-03 05:27

    Hey, Well It's hard to resist a thread like this. I'm a younger operator. I've been driving the kit since the age of 10, But when this story happend I had only ever driven empty tractors (or loaded on flat ground) And Excavators (trackhoes, backhoes, 360's) A couple of summers ago (before I went to college to do "H&S 101") I Took on a pretty simple bit of work digging into a hillside for a garage. Had a Kubota KH 3 tonner and a Kubota B8200 Tractor and 3 ton trailer at my disposial. A couple days into it we were making good progress and I was now running both machines (load trailer, drive tractor etc) And Getting abit lazy on my tipping, and rather overloading a tractor probably only ment for a 2 ton trailer topps. I was Reversing up a slope (tipping up hill in a safe manner, with the front loader grounded aswell as the brakes) and dumping the load into a pile beside the bank, the area to do this was gradually getting smaller (About a 15' track with the bank one side and a pond the other) Long story short though, the first time I took a shortcut, I did'nt quite get the trailer up strait, On level ground this would'nt matter. But once I tipped and the load started coming out I saw the trailer tire and I'm pretty sure that's the fastest I've ever tried to drop a tipper. Needless to say I was too late and the Trailer was sideways, the tractors drawbar was bent to about 45' and the tractor was on two wheels. We wasted the rest of the day getting the tractor and trailer workable again. And I was lucky to of kept the job and been put back on the swinger (my main machine, but I did'nt end up back on the tractor until we were back to strait tipping). That coulda all been avoided. Firstly If I had known what I now have learnt at college about the safety aspects, I would'nt of tipped the trailer like that. I was also trying to be as fast as possible, and the overloaded trailer caused the accident. Not to mention I did'nt really know what I was doing with the trailer, If in doubt, say. Simple fact is though it was my mistake, I took the responsibility, and as A result I stayed on site. (I'm also proud to say that It's the only serious accident I've really had) Sorry for the Incredibly long post.

  53. #53bobcatmechanic2011-01-05 01:11

    boom stops are their for a reason be it skid loader or dump use them. was working on a case 70 xt never worked on one before just started at a bobcat dealership. Buddy asked me to look at something i think an interlock. well anyways lifted the arms put the stop in didn;t lower the boom to touch it had another buddy push the safety lock on his side and pushed on a lever under the cab that come to find out was part of the lift circuit. boom slams done on the stop look up and the owner says good thing you put that stop in. I stopped right then and their working on it and said take it to the case dealer. Taking the house of an excavator to remove and replace broken bolts in the swing bearing almost had the house fall on me. It was on a two post lift but i didn't have it far enough back on the lift so as i took the last bolts out it rocked back and landed on the lift just on the back two pads. luckily had a safety chain on the front of the machine to the lift and it held it in place. everyone was at lunch and it would have been forty minutes before i would have been discovered had i not of had that safety chain on there. A nother buddy had his 3 middle toes taken off by a tilt cylinder on a skid steer by his buddy. buddy 1 was on the front of the machine and told buddy two to roll the bucket back and had his foot in the wrong place and off came the toes. looks pretty funny when he wears flip flops which he does quite often

  54. #54bobcatmechanic2011-01-05 01:14

    all the previous post was in the last 3 years have really started paying attention to safety since then. It really only does take a second of not paying attention to get your self in trouble.

  55. #55buckeyebarton2011-01-05 21:06

    Some years ago, I was running a d-65 in an open field, stripping topsoil. I was in this field all by myself for the entire morning, not a soul around. It was about 5 min before lunchtime and i was finishing a long push. When i got to the end, I shook my blade off and threw the dozer in reverse. Maybe a second later, I heard a load crash. Being startled, I turned around quickly to see that my boss was following me in my tracks to pick me up for lunch, but i didn't know he was there. All I seen was his truck getting pushed backwards and guys bailing out of the bed of the truck. The only thing that kept my tracks from climbing over the hood of the truck was the long tow hitch on this dozer was buried into the radiator, the radiator into the fan and so on. Naturally I thought for sure that I just lost my job but my boss admitted that he should have never followed me that close. He also admitted that the accident would not have happened if he wouldn't have gotten so damn scared when i backed up that he missed reverse and went right into park. Just an old funny story and nobody got hurt.

  56. #56traxx612011-01-15 12:31

    Operators train your laborers..they are your best friend in tight situations,They are the extra set of eyes you need, but they can be your worst nightmare,and never let them wear I-pods,or bring their cell phones on the site,I had an incident ,or what you might call a wayyy to close call,after sanding my ditch, I had swung around to set my line , moved back to start my next cut , as I swung back to start my cut,there on my blind side ,was my laborer ,ear buds in , texting away,I was all brakes and a**holes trying to avoid him,I just managed to boom over his head.I was running a 450 Hitachi,with a V-bucket..If I had hit him at full swing..hell I don't even want to think about it...His excuse for being there was he couldn't text while in the ditch, no reception..and laboures wonder why operators become ANAL about things

  57. #57BigIron252011-02-19 14:13

    We were disassembling the main boom of a 2250 starting at the tip. The boom section has the FACT connection technology so all you have to do is take a sledge and knock out the two bottom pins to release the section of boom. We had the operator boom the crane down to where the tip was resting on cribbing and knocked the first pin out on one side, and started on the other side. The guy on the other side was standing inside the boom knocking the pin to the outside of the boom. Well unfortunately for him, he was standing with his boot directly under the chord for the boom tip. As soon as he knocked his pin out, the entire boom settled right down onto his foot and sunk about 6" inches into the sandy soil. Subsequently his boot wrapped around the chord to the point where his toes were almost touching his shins. He crushed his foot and had to wear a special boot for a few months but has made a full recovery. We have changed some techniques for our bullgangs, for example: while assembling the crane we now stand inside the boom and knock the pins in from the inside so when we disassemble the crane we can knock the pins out safely from outside the boom. We were also not completely sure why the boom settled so much (there was an inexperienced operator in the cab at the time) and maybe a mix of loose soils and inadequate cribbing kept the boom from sinking.

  58. #58eamon2011-02-21 15:57

    I always got told never to rely on a parking brake, as too many operators push / pull dumpers and abuse equipment. How easy is it to park into a pile of muck, park across aslope, turn steering, or just lower all equipment to the ground. Also i learnt your life is NEVER worth your job.

  59. #59eamon2011-02-21 16:08
  60. #60hartono.exca2011-04-05 13:25

    hehhehehe safety fist at the job friends...

  61. #61hartono.exca2011-04-05 13:29

    i have trouble at excavator komatsu pc 200-7.the engine speed can't high.please give me solution!!!! tanks before.

  62. #62hlcrkfrm2011-04-29 22:47

    I was digging out for a new road taking out about 2 feet of dirt with the excavator , I had to cross a fiber optic phone line and the gas line was going the same way i was digging it was buried about three feet deep so all was well, until i got to the fiber optic line witch was two feet down, so we dug by hand and found it , so i went on digging only to hit the gas line with the next bucket. the gas company when it came to the fiber optic line decided to go up and over the fiber optic line instead of going under and staying at the three foot mark.The gas line was only a foot under the ground. When the gas company came out to fix it they said why did they go over the fiber optic cable. I said no s--t, i had to take a drug test and everything because of them,so don't trust anything when your digging because the guy before you might have done it wrong just to save a little time.

  63. #63rsherril2011-05-02 07:16

    How about starting equipment from the operators seat. I watched a salesman start the grader I was buying from the ground, in front of the tandems. Later read about a mechanic that was run over doing the exact same thing. Apparently it resulted in a lawsuit and a redesign.

  64. #64stock2011-05-02 07:31

    Going back to the sixty's most vehicles had a no start switch on the gear levers (had to be in neutral to start ) or like the IH tractors had to have the clutch pressed to facilitate the engine being cranked.........

  65. #65BigIron252011-05-05 00:49

    Oh man those gas lines are no joke. I have a few buddies who said the gas lines were buried up to 100' yes 100' off thier estimated marked location... it makes no sense to me how these gas lines are just trenched in all random like when they are so dangerous to dig around. Your a lucky man for sure and the sad thing is, there was nothing you could have done about it.

  66. #66cecil892011-07-10 11:48

    I was the creator of a situation like this. Once apon a time on a bridge project I was told to skim the material from the bottom in long layers to build an island,ie skim six inches 1000 feet. with a dozer this seem redundant at the time. me all knowing said I can make quick work of this an dug 3 deep trenches about 100 feet upstream to build said island. got that island built in record time. oh about 6 months later got my a@@ ate by a friend that worked nights on the project because he found said pits at night the hard way, with the same dozer that made them. all turned out well though

  67. #67harleyman2011-07-31 00:03

    test

  68. #68boominco2011-10-06 05:23

    That's a good idea!!