Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New from Central Jersey

Digger293 ยท 2007-10-25 19:27

Hello all, my name is Don....I stumbled onto this forum while looking at walking excavators and I think it's great find. I wanted to be a heavy equipment operator since I was about five years old. So in 1970 when I turned 18 I joined the army and got assigned to an Engineer unit. Unfortunately I was never formally trained at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, I received OJT instead. I didn't care at the time because I was given the opportunity to operate heavy construction equipment. I learned most of what I know from union operators who were drafted. However, that was only when they were in the mood to teach or give advice. Still, they were a bunch of good guys. I got out in 1974 and attempted to apply for the Local 825 Operating Engineer's Union but was not even allowed an application because I was not a minority. "Affirmative Action" was the reason. Hell, I thought joining the Army in 1970 automatically made me a minority but they didn't see it that way...Anyway I went into another field where I retired after 25 years. After being retired for 6 months I decided to see if I could get a job as an operator. I got a job operating a Terex scraper and moved to Dozers and then excavators. I had to leave 5 years later do to back problems. After being out for three years I'm going to attempt to go back this spring. I hope I can get in somewhere I really miss it. Well, I guess I'm getting a little long winded so I'll close. I look forward to reading everyone's treads and hope I can pick everyone's brain for tips and advice.......Digger293

Replies7
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-10-25 20:22

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!!:drinkup Thanks for joining us!

  2. #2Countryboy2007-10-25 20:23

    Welcome to HEF Digger293! :drinkup On Edit: I gotta type faster......Steve.

  3. #3TRACKHOE712007-10-25 21:39

    Welcome digger glad to have you abord!:usa Are you gunna try and get back in with local 825, im currently working in NJ right now for a company, that does site and pipe work.

  4. #4RonG2007-10-26 05:42

    Did you meet a guy named "Truckie" yesterday??? Ron G

  5. #5rino14942007-10-26 06:02

    hahaha

  6. #6Digger2932007-10-26 10:38

    No, won't do it No, I won't take a shot at Local 825 again.....I tried again in '02 and they weren't interested....I went over to Dayton and took the field test and thought I did well.....I was pissed because I wasted a day. I think they had no intention of giving me a permit right from the start. I'm getting to old to play that game...Digger293

  7. #7Digger2932007-10-26 10:41

    Truckie No RonG...never met a guy called Truckie.....