Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new girl

musclegirl ยท 2007-07-11 08:17

Hi there, my name is Valerie i am 44 yo and i am new in the industry and a beginner with backhoes. I'm currently learning with a JCB 3 CX. I worked as a security guard dog handler for the past 14 years, i have always loved big machines and trucks and when the company i was working for bankrupted i decided to see if it was possible for a woman to work in this field and i started early this year.

Replies18
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-07-11 08:29

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!!:drinkup Thanks for joining us!

  2. #2Lashlander2007-07-11 09:46

    Welcome to the forum, You might want to keep an eye on Countryboy, ya never know about him!

  3. #3musclegirl2007-07-11 14:17

    Thanks for welcoming me. why? Something special i should know?

  4. #4musclegirl2007-07-11 15:36

    I thought i could post a pic of what i was doing before.

  5. #5BrianHay2007-07-11 15:57

    Hi Valerie, it is for sure possible for a woman to work in this field. I got my wife into it about 5 years ago and she is realy good at it and loves it. Good luck and have fun!

  6. #6murray832007-07-11 16:35

    Those new JCB's with with the pilot controls built rite into the seat are better than sliced bread i swear,I love the layout of these JCB's much more than the E series Cat. I find women tend to take better care of their machine than their male counterparts and seem to have much more patience than us males Good luck with your machine its a great living to play in God's sandbox and get paid to do it

  7. #7Countryboy2007-07-11 19:07

    What is that sposed to mean..... Why yes there is....... Welcome to HEF musclegirl! :drinkup What breed of dog is that? I have a couple buddies in law enforcemnt. One has a German Shepard and the other has a Doberman. Very well trained dogs.

  8. #8nedly052007-07-11 19:11

    Welcome to the forum, lots of good people and good info here!!!

  9. #9cat3202007-07-11 21:10

    Welcome to the HEF . nice to see a woman in here. I can't say to much about JCB i'm more of a case guy but we did have a JCB in the town fleet that i worked for one time they said they had electrical problams with theres. they seam like an ok machine but i never had the pleasure of running one.

  10. #10rino14942007-07-11 21:16

    Damn, I sure wouldn't tick you off. Welcome to the site :drinkup

  11. #11musclegirl2007-07-12 10:08

    Thank you Brian,now i know but i lost 3 years until i moved back to the south and met a guy at a friends restaurant who owns a small company. He told me he saw a woman working with a backhoe and he was impressed by the way she was working.I spent 2 weeks with him at work and i really could see what kind of work it was and i realized i loved it,i owe him a big thank you. Yes I think it must be more "comfortable" for arms. But i have only worked with JCBs and both are 3CX precision control so i can't compare. I still don't work with my own machine because i don't have my license. It's not as clean as i would keep it but you're right i would take care of it a little more than he does. I will be at school 1 week in September to get my license (backhoe loader only at least for the moment) so for the moment most of the time i'm not alone with the machine, i have a very experienced nice guy who teaches me lot of things. Thank you,yes it's great to get up every morning to do something you really like. I'm really curious here! Welcome to HEF musclegirl! It's a german shepherd Again thank you for your warm welcome Here is a pic of one of the pilot controls on the seat.

  12. #12cat3202007-07-12 10:39

    when i was a kid there was a girl working for her dad and she would operate a terex loader 7231B . she kept up with the guys very well and ran the machine as good if not better. have to say it was something to see her in a bikini out rakeing the top soil for grass.

  13. #13Nick Drew2007-07-12 14:34

    Hi & Stuff Hi Muscle girl, I echo the earlier comment, its great to have some female input here on the site, there are a few outspoken members here at HEF!! I'm sure you could keep them in check!! Where are you on the Med coast ?? Greetings from England Nick:drinkup

  14. #14Lashlander2007-07-12 22:05

    I was just teasing you. Countryboy always welcomes new people and I knew he would be along shortly to do that. We like to cut up now and then. I appologize for any confusion.:duh

  15. #15Ford LT-90002007-07-12 23:26

    With todays equipment anybody can operate it without major physical effort not like the equipment of yester year. Women can be good equipment operators because they have a lighter touch with the controls.

  16. #16Pushblock2007-07-13 07:35

    Welcome Valerie Welcome to the HEF! I admire women who choose to handle machines and dogs. I used to breed and train Rottwielers and it takes a certain kind of person to train and work with large breeds. I wish you sucess in your new venture.

  17. #17musclegirl2007-07-13 14:48

    Do you know i didn't sleep last night trying to guess lol J/K I'm still a beginner I am near Perpignan (Argeles -sur-mer) 20 minutes from Spain, 2 hours from Barcelona. We have a lot of people from UK there all year round and especially now in summer with Germans and Dutch. It's 1h15 hour by plane from London Stanted. I'll talk to my boss next week and see what he has to say about me working in a bikini,could be a good way to get some nice sun tan. Rottweilers are stubborn sometimes but like all dog they must accept your authority,my boss has one,a female but she has absolutely no self confidence,she is scared for nothing and when you try to look at her she avoids your eyes,i had never seen such a behavior with a Rotweiler.

  18. #18cat3202007-07-13 19:06

    Quote"I'll talk to my boss next week and see what he has to say about me working in a bikini,could be a good way to get some nice sun tan. " It may be good for you but i would love to have a video rolling when the guys keep bumping into things lol