Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New guy

sandbox ยท 2009-02-18 23:35

Hi Im Josh Ive been pokin around here lookin at pictures for about the last week since a friend of mine had shown me some cool stuff. Im a senior at the Pennsylvania College of Technology and my major is Heavy Equipment Operating. I understand that not everyone likes people who go to school for it cause theres alot of people who come out thinking they know it all.....well I dont and im not going to pretend that I do. I think demolition is the coolest stuff in the world and running a high reach demo excavator is my dream job. I live in Reading PA and Im gonna be lookin for work come May.

Replies9
  1. #1rino14942009-02-21 15:00

    Welcome to the site. I am from the Wilkes-Barre area and I went to college up in Mansfield, not too far from Penn-Tech. My buddy gradutated from there in the same program that you are taking and got a job with Schlouch which I believe they are from down around Reading.

  2. #2sandbox2009-02-21 15:44

    yea I know schlouch Im actually looking to get in there

  3. #3JimBruce422009-02-21 18:45

    Welcome aboard Josh :drinkup, I understand that some times the "I went to PCT" can leave a bad taste in other people's mouth, but don't let it bug ya. Typically, if a company hires you from there, they are familiar with the courses you've taken, the instructors who taught them, etc.. and know what you are or aren't capable of. You sound like you have the right idea though, don't act like you know everything, cause chances are you probably don't What companies (as well as schlouch) are you looking into? Neuber and H&K both are pretty big in demo down this way as well.

  4. #4sandbox2009-02-21 23:56

    Ive been looking all over and Im pretty muchg open to anything right now Ive looked at quarry's, union, schlouch, (i work for brubacher but dotn wanna stick around there) American Infrastructure, Testa (which is way north but what the hell) and Central slavage in Philly. Ive never heard of Neuber but I definately want some info about them and as far as H&K they left a bad taste in my mouth.

  5. #5JimBruce422009-02-22 13:06

    Neuber does a lot of demo work for us, we had them in on the Exeter Commons job demo-ing and clearing, before we dove into that mud hole:Banghead I'll see if I can't find more info on it for ya. Course if you're looking for demo companies with high reach machines, Testa is good, but so is Brandenburg and they have an office in Bethlehem, little closer for ya. What do you run/how long you been at Brubacher?

  6. #6sandbox2009-02-22 13:43

    Ive been at brubacher for the last 2 summers, my first summer i did everything from blasting to paving to regular dirt work and then last summer i was a full time paver which sucked i wont do that again. I can run excavator, dozer (which i hate) back hoe, wheel loader, haul truck (i really enjoyed that even though theres nothing to it) and I can run gradall ( which i really loved) I realize im more than likely not gonna be an operator from the start which is fine but if I can be around something im really interested ( like demo) I wont mind it at all

  7. #7rino14942009-02-23 08:42

    You are not human.

  8. #8sandbox2009-02-23 21:10

    so when would be the best time to start putting in applications and resumes?

  9. #9JimBruce422009-02-24 19:43

    with as bad as the economy is right now, I'd apply now if I were you.