Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new guy, first post, just bought a 693B

Norbert77 ยท 2016-07-31 14:01

Heool folks, I just bought this John Deere 693B, I understand it supposed to be like a forestry version of a 690. Correct me if I'm wrong. About 1986. Bucket has worn teeth, and the nubs are welded on, so will need a new bucket. Or some welding... No air conditioning, so I'm thinking of maybe a small electric unit would be easier than adding a compressor and all the plumbing. Maybe a room air conditioner on the back window and a small suitcase generator. What tools should one have on hand? I was told 1/4 to 1 1/2 wrenches would do most things. [/QUOTE]

Replies9
  1. #1CM19952016-07-31 14:28

    Welcome to the Forums Norbert77!:drinkup I'm not familiar with that model but it does look to be a forest machine. As far as the bucket goes, from the pics it looks to be in good shape. If the teeth are welded to the shanks and have wear metal left just run it until it's time to change. May be able to cut the teeth off and weld new ones on or have more extensive surgery done and weld on a lip and shanks. 1/4 to 1 1/2 wrenches are a good start. You will also want to get a set of line wrenches for hydraulic fittings. I have two of these sets from Harbor Freight, yeah their cheap but haven't broke one yet. http://www.harborfreight.com/15-piece-sae-service-wrench-set-93667.html Best of luck!

  2. #2lantraxco2016-07-31 14:56

    Yup, was a dedicated Feller-Buncher machine......

  3. #3hvy 1ton2016-07-31 19:35

    Like lantrax said it's a buncher with an excavator front. CM did you link the right thing? I'd consider those stub wrenches. The line wrenches i have grab 4 flats of the fittings.

  4. #4CM19952016-07-31 22:42

    Yeah that's what I call them. They're short and open to reach tight hydraulic fittings. Are you talking about flare nut wrenches? http://www.harborfreight.com/5-pc-metric-double-end-flare-nut-wrench-set-68866.html As we all know terminology can be geographic. I don't have a set of flare nut wrenches but it's on the list. Some make fun of Harbor Freight and rightly so because it's not the best of quality for a professional wrench but I can afford to have all sorts of tools for our service truck. They might only be used a couple of times a year but when you need a specialty tool it's invaluable. I'm not professionally wrenching just doing minor repairs on our equipment.

  5. #5Norbert772016-08-01 13:01

    Would this vintage be all SAE? No metric hardware to ruin my day?

  6. #6Norbert772016-08-01 13:04

    Is there no edit button on this forum? What parts and hardware should I have on site? Can hose ends be put on or are they all crimp-on fittings? Are cylinder seals fairly generic?

  7. #7hvy 1ton2016-08-01 17:15

    Should be entirely SAE. Deere started sneaking metric stuff into fuel systems in the early 90's, at least on the Ag side. Hydraulic hoses require a crimping machine. Cylinder seals are easy to come by. If nothing else, a good set of calipers and cylinder parts book will get you there. Even on this size machine it will take a good bit of torque to break down cylinders, so keep that in mind. CM, I wondered if it was a geography thing. My neighbor calls the type i was thinking of flare wrenches, so I'm used to that one. I try to use them whenever i can get away with it on the smaller fittings, less chance of me doing something dumb.

  8. #8lantraxco2016-08-01 17:57

    It dates itself, notice the cab is on the "wrong" side? LOL I have some short combination wrenches, thick open end and the gapped box end, Dad always called them "tubing wrenches"

  9. #9Norbert772016-08-01 18:57

    Nothing in my price range has the cab on the right side, or even have a cab. You mean line wrenches? I think in every region they have a different name.