OK I am new here, and hope I am asking this in the right place and correctly like. I am looking to buy something for moving some dirt , stone , rocks and general debris. I have a small property that has a decent slope to it, that is rather un even, and am planning to get a lot of back fill in, BUT will have to carry some of the back fill about a 100 yards across uneven ground with bumps and slight rolling side hills I do NOT have much seat time in skid steers, or dozers or such. BUt I have been using tractors a long time for planting crops, pulling plows and like attachments But have used a few of the above equipment, but very little seat time, to know whats a better tool for my job at hand SO, I am asking if, for the general use of moving clean fill to area's on my property would I be better off with a skid steer, or tractor with a front end loader, or?? if a skid steer, would I be better off with tracks on a side hill and the un even ground, or would wheels be better? second use of this what ever, will be for plowing snow, I have no pavement or concrete on the property, so NOT worried about damaging the ground, BUT when I plow neighbors drive ways , I don't want to be doing damages to them either> so, IF tracks, I would want rubber I gather?/ SO< what would you suggest as for type of equipment? I am also looking at buying used, so, if anyone has any suggestions on models to look for or avoid, would be greatly appreciated I plan to have a budget for about 15k don';t have to spend it all, if I can help it, BUT I also want a reliable machine and I could really use some tips on what to look for and out for on used things I know tractors OKl, but as for actual construction equipment, I'm way gre=een, on what to look for, or even what to buy?? I thank you in advance , and appreciate all information you can offer me
A tracked machine would be best but in your price range you are not going to find a decent one. Tracked machines are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. The tracks rollers etc cost a lot to repair and any machine in that price range is going to be in need of repairs soon. A wheeled skid steer would probably serve you well but find a big one. How much of this work are you needing to do? Would renting one or maybe even a small dozer for a month allow you to complete your tasks? My first skid steer I bought seemed good at first. I was using it a lot and put about 200 hours on it the first month. Then the engine blew. Cost me nearly 10k for a new engine and labor to replace it. They can get expensive quick.
For your budget, I think you can buy a dozer,maybe it can be small but with high-quality.
Rent something for the day...anything. Then rent something else for the next day. Nothing beats running something for 8 hours on a real job, to show you what you need/want.
thanks for the reply's and info./suggestions as for how much work I plan to do, or ground to fill I will be getting about 50 tri axle loads of clean fill over the next yr or so, MOST of it will be dumpped over a the bank of a steeper drop off, and then be leveling off the top, which I am sure a dozer would be the best item for the job, BUT I have to be able to at times, take several tons(through the whole project,) will need to scoop up and carry fill about a 100 plus yards and then dump and level in several spots on the property, SO< a dozer won't work for this that well, unless it was maybe a loader dozer deal., which sadly, I almost bought one 4 yrs ago, a older farmer friend had one, a Cat d4 dozer loader, a 1960' model,(had the pony motor and that ran and started every time on the first try) that had like 1200 original hrs on it, he bought it new in 1960 to build a pond and for dragging timber off the farm, then it more or less sat., he had a bunch of NEW spare parts, filters and hyrdalic lines and the owners manual and service manuals from cat too) we got it up and running, new hoses and the likes, and it ran great, , BUT at the time, I didn't really need it or have a place to park it SO< he asked me to help him sell it he wanted 5K for it too, which, at the time I didn;'t need to tie up 5 k on something I didn't need, and rather see him just sell it Well, that was fine and dandy, till a few weeks later I lost my job, making , the passing on it seem even better? and the couple guys I sent to him, passed on it and it again just sat there Well, this is where it hurt! about a yr after he wanted to sell it, and couldn';t find anyone to give him 5k he decided out of the blue, to just sell it to a local guy for $1500.00 bucks, and never even asked me if I would buy it for that price, and YES I would have \where the hell else can you buy a fully working needed nothing D4 cat dozer loader for 1500 bucks?? I about blew a gasket when I found out what he sold it for?? but was too late at that point! but MAN I regret missing out on that deal, and the ONLY reason he didn't ask me to buy it for 1500, was because I was still out of work and he said he didn;t want to bother me??? urrr!! how I wish he would have, as we were very close friends too?? he thought he was doing me a favor not spending my money?? It was worth that price in scrap metal I think, a no loose deal and I swear it was in super shape, needed nothing, but was just old? but who cares age when it works?\ OH well! BUT back to my quest now for something I am sure I can rent something to maybe try it, BUT I live where there isn't anyone close that rents things, so would be a LOT of added costs to get anything here for the day to try. next, this is going to be a slow project, as I am getting fill as a few guy get it, and that is at random, so I don;t always know when its coming or how much at a time, so, I need something all yr, plus I want it for snow removal which then takes away the option of buying a dozer, as I plow several driveways out that are either cement or paved, and cannot be tearing them up with a dozer's tracks SO< if this info helps any, with a suggestion again?? I am almost leaving towards a smaller tractor with a loader/bucket BUT I am not sure, as a skid steer will get me ointo tighter places and back out. My bigger concern is the fact I have uneven ground and lots of it as a slope to it, slight at times to pretty steep in other I have a road that runs down a hill, and last winter a buddy came by to plow for me, with a 753(think that's the model # anyways ) bobcat , a wheeled skid steer, and after plowing the dirt road/hill;, couldn't drive back up it, due to spinning wheels, he was stuck at the bottom till I got there! and that was a few hrs too LOL which NOW has me a little worried, as I can drive up and down same hill in my truck ,atv in 2 wheel drive , the same day he could drive up it in the skid steer on wheels? had to pull him up with my truck BUt again, thi is a project I plan to do as time allows, and as fill shows up NOW if you's feel a skid steer is best, would you be willing to recommend any models to be on the look out for? as I don't know very much about them at all is there models that are more stable on uneven ground /side hills(slight) that are better than other models? I know condition is always the deal maker or breaker when buying used, and in today's world wide web , its harder I think to get great deals as every one knows what others are selling like things for BUT, if anyone has a ball park price on what's fair for a used what ever model, that would be great help as well as again I am NOT very up to date on models , what they can /cannot do, and or fair price, what to really look out for?? I have a friend that runs equipment for a living, that lives about an hr or so from me, I plan to TRY to get to come with me to look at anything before I buy, IF he can. to help make sure I don't get taken if possible, BUT other wise, looking for all the help I can get
My first skid steer was a Bobcat 743. I used it for everything I could and bought it for $3000 back in 2007 off craigslist. I had to replace hydraulic hoses and rewire the entire thing but overall, it was a good machine and I used it for small grading projects, concrete slabs and material hauling. For clearing land, if you are dealing with larger trees and some rough landscape this type of machine wouldn't be what I would go after. A tracked version of the skid steer may aid in maneuverability but still might be difficult. For a full construction site you will notice several key machines; tracked excavators and dozers are the most prevalent (or do most of the work) For me, I chose to go with a backhoe for both the digging and loading ability in one machine . The maneuverability may be limited in rough terrain but not that limited. I can also drive it down the road when where I am going with it isn't to far. (so for snow clearing for nearby neighbors, might be an option to look at).
Sounds like you could possibly over-think your dilemma. You'll get all sorts of opinions, but for me, the best deal for the most hp and best shape tractor with loader or skid would dictate my choice on a $15k budget. Either one still would have endless uses even after your project is done. I've not seen property in NE PA that didn't have rocks galore....so stay away from a rubber track machine if you do. Last month I just ripped a good track on the tip of a 10 ton rock sticking up out of the ground. Sucks! You're in a good region to find a good tractor or skid. I think I could find a better deal for the $ on a skid than I could on a 4x4 tractor for your budget. You could spend $10k to 12k on a good mid-hour ranged skid like a bobcat 763 (wouldn't recommend any smaller), 773, or 8series; case 1840/45,60/70xt; gehl 4835/40, 5635; new holland ls170/180 (lx series too), etc.. Stay away from CAT due to the unreliability of the Perkins, that is, unless you find some smoking deal on one. The bigger the machine, the better. Then find a pair of used over the tire steel tracks (not rubber) for $600 to 1000. You'll have money left over for attachments...whatever.
Swammy, thanks I appreciate the opinion I just again don't have much time in a skid steer, so I am a little worried about how they work on side hills and the uneven ground on the side hill here, its NOT really steep, but the bumps and not knowing how tippy one Might be? has me wondering, I was thinking tracks might be more stable there, but then again, NO experience so?? and yes PA is more rocks than dirt I think and thanks for the list of models to look for, as I honestly have NO idea what models are what for them things, never looked at skid steers before, so never followed the who\s models means what in size or power? front end tractors here are hard to find due to so many hunters buy them and it drove the prices up like crazy, due to they seem to be willing to spend more money than a farmer would on a like item, and it drove the smaller 4x4 tractor market prices way up! 10-15 yrs ago could fine 40-50 hp tractors with loader all over up here cheap, NOT any more LOl I did just look at a 50+ HP JD trctor with a loader on it for 5 k, but was 2x4 only and don't think it would work as well, as a skid steer? so passed on it, plus it needed a bunch of work too! I have a LOT of time, so there is NO rush for me to buy something, a plus But tying to learn all I can before I do buy something, thus my tread looking for info and help from those that know more than me to maybe help me not buy something and then find out its NOT really what I need?
thanks, all I need a machine to do, is move dirt fill, from being dumped in a pile to over a ledge like and then to carry it to spots on the property that are pitched and try and get back some more level ground I will NOT be pushing over any tree's or digging really at all, its just moving fill dumped from a tri axle, to where I want it and level out where they dump it
"its NOT really steep, but the bumps and not knowing how tippy one Might be? has me wondering, I was thinking tracks might be more stable there, but then again, NO experience so??" You'll benefit in the stability department from having OTT tracks on it -either by reversing your rims or using wheel spacers to get more clearance between the tire and skid for the tracks not to rub. It'll allow you to pick up a bit more, and it'll widen your stance for better stability. The longer the wheelbase the machine has is better for stability as well. Tracks will smooth out your ride on dirt (not hard surfaces...will have a tankish waddle at low speeds). One of my customers has a 753 Bobcat and instead of bringing my machine in to cut out a hillside for a project he wanted me to do for him, he said to use his. After an hour I couldn't wait to get off it - sucker was so pitchy front to back from a short wheelbase - it wasn't enjoyable like a longer wheelbase machine would be. More difficult to grade with too.
Swammy, thanks again so, I would be better of looking for models with longer wheel base\s then for adding stability on un even terrain there are a few sections of my property that ARE steep, BUt I don't expect to need to drive down or UP with a skid steer, BUt I have what might best be called a slight hill, that YRS ago, has road cut in across it side ways, like 50+ yrs ago, and as time went by them road disappeared fro,m erosion, , and there are then small slight hills between them now, and I plan to back fill in over all of it to take the grade out of it in as many places as I can, BUT have to leave one decent road to get to the very back of the property, and also have to carry a good 100 tons or so of dirt down to the bottom section and then level that out as well, the current road going down is a straight shot, and there is one that has a slight side hill type drove down it as it runs across the hill and the road isn;t level, or really could be made so to get to the bottom,a s property isn;'t wide enough to make that work I am sure I am over thinking this, , more so due to my lack of experience with skid steers the few times I spent in them they felt super tippy to me, doing what I did, BUT they might have been short wheel based models too? as it was about 10+ yrs ago, since I really used one when I was a kid/teenager, I spent a bunch of time(4-5yrs 50+ hrs a week) for summers) in bigger dozers (d7-8's and even a few times in a d9)working on coal mine property, pushing slag, from piles into more level like fields! but that was a good 20+ yrs ago last 20 yrs or so, I been mostly ONLY on tractors doing farm work, and most of that time was on pretty darn level ground this will be a new adventure for me, but think I can handle it with some seat time, seen a LOT of work done over the yrs, just never at the controls often and I prefer to buy my own things than rent when I can But would like to not make a mistake and buy something that isn;t up to task too, or wrong sized what ever?? so asking for the pro's to add in some advice and suggestion, which lead me here LOL
For what you intend to do with it, I'd see what you can find in an industrial loader tractor, basically a tractor loader backhoe without the backhoe. A 2wd won't work well in mud, or on hills in snow, but if you can stay on pavement then they work fine for plowing, and will do your dirt moving easier than most skid steers you'll find in the same price range. Only get one with a cab or ROPS.
thanks I was thinking about a front end loader, as there heavier than a tractor more or less with a bucket on the front and should plow snow pretty good too, plus can stack up snow pretty good, only thing about them that makes me wonder is , some places I'd like to get dirt to are pretty tight, near buildings and some LARGE trees, BUT think thats a possible plan too, on a front end loader YRS back I got some time in a old Clark wheel loader(if memory is right was like a model 170 or 180 or the likes, been 20+ yrs ago since I ran that so,??), was pretty BIG in size, but about a week into running it the brakes gave out, and the owner sold it. so didn;t get a lot of seat time in on it, but its was big machine, hinged chassis(if thats the right name for it, but had a pivot in th middle for sharper turning?
Here's an idea...Find the biggest wheeled skid steer you can, then put steel OTTs on it. The steel tracks will give it much more stability, & traction galore - but it will tear up the ground. In the winter, either take off the steel OTTs & put steel chains on the tires, or leave the OTT's on & bolt on rubber pads. McLaren, for one, makes steel OTT's that have bolt-on rubber pads. But I don't know how you're going to do that for $15k, unless you get lucky on finding the SSL.
Thanks on the suggestion of the steel tracks, and I gather I will be looking a while till I find one in my budget that isn't beat to crap so, I have a job at hand on even finding what I can use, never mind picking out what models I want?? did look at a JD 250 skid steer with 1500 hrs on it yesterday, guy was asking 12k for it, seemed OK, but was lower in HP and wheels looked close together , so not a really wide stance or long wheel base as I think you guys are suggesting I look for? Just happened to be driving by and seen in a guys front yard with a for sale sign on it, Owner wasn't home, just his wife and she didn';t know much about it Just said he used it on the farm, and bought a new bigger one last yr, so doesn't need both? anyone have any opinions of a John Deere model 250 pro\s con\s what to look for on wear parts or??
I have a 763 machine with practically new OTT tracks I've been considering selling. It's been an great machine and has fairly low hours (2000). It's down in SC but it's under your budget by a few K. Send me a PM if Interested. I do think a ctl would be your best bet but like others have said, if it's that cheap it's probably got lots of hours or has serious issues. A tire maching with tracks will have equal or sometimes better traction but it won't be as smooth. But as you work you should be smoothing out you path as you go. Something else to look for would be a 2 speed machine, it makes a big difference in time if you have a smooth path to go faster on. But they might be out of you price range.
I'd pass on a JD 250 at that price...same as a 240 only with a turbo. You want something like this, but at a better price: http://binghamton.craigslist.org/grd/5103714097.html
You can get a deal if you watch Craigslist and prepare to JUMP when you see a deal. I bought an older Mustang a couple years ago for $2500 and it needed a bit of work. Probably invested another $1500 and now I have a good reliable machine that does what I need it to do. Also found a backhoe attachment for it on CL and stole...er....bought that for $600. Deals are out there if your timing is right......a bit of luck helps too! :drinkup
Todd V, thanks for the offer on your machine, BUT I think after I get it shipped here it would be near the top of my price range, and NOT that I don't trust you, I just prefer to buy thing I can try first and make sure its what I want, AS for craigslist, YES been watching, \BUT part of my problem is, I don't have time to be fixing anything , or the experience maybe too, heck I am not even sure what all to look for/at on skid steers to tell good from bad, minus, things that jump out, like leaks and broken torn things Thus also plan to have a friend come, but his time isn't always open, for this, he travels a lot. BUt I have the cash in hand, so IF I see something, I am ready to go, in short notice, and its a cash purchase too, SO, hope that might help make a sale easier too! as for that case 75 X, thats a few hrs north of me, and hair past my budget, but if I get time might take a drive to look! here is a question you's might be able to answer for me WHAT is considered a long wheel base skid steer, as that was suggested I looked at specs on the case and its at 3.9 ft is that considered a long wheel base?? also what is a wide width on a skid, as this one is like 6 ft wide, is it average, or ?? got spec's off this, which I can look up every make/model spec's on if need be?/ Just trying to get a handle on what models are what here? and same as lift ability,. is there HP rating I should try to stay at, or above?? http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specifi...eer+Loader&make=Case&model=75XT&modelid=92093 LAST< I had a local tell me he can get me skid steers cheap,. but they might be HOT LOL told him I don;t want anything that MIGHT be stolen, no matter HOW cheap, have enough issue's in life to be walking into another one knowing ! ?? BUT has me wondering HOW do you tell if one is HOT or not, do they all have titles??, or should they all have one?
Rule of thumb is if you can stick your foot in between the tires, then the wheelbase is on the "long" side. As far as width - that case probably has a 72" bucket and the straight on pic shows the tracks are almost as wide as the bucket...a good thing for stability. Some people put tracks on and the bucket does not cover the width of the tracks (not a good thing), so be mindful of that. As far as the easiest way to determine if a machine is hot, you'll probably have to take an infrared thermometer with you to point and shoot. Anything over 180 degrees is hot. Seriously, there are more pieces of stolen equipment than you can shake a stick at. I have customers who are in every branch of law enforcement, local/state/federal, and they are saying since the economy tanked the databases for stolen equipment have exploded. Several of my customers have had machines stolen, too. Craigslist is a very common way of advertisement for people who steal, and who have been stolen from ( http://kirksville.craigslist.org/hvo/5074345172.html ), so be very cautious. The gov't has yet to mandate titles for off-road equipment, so the only way is to trace serial numbers, which are found in multiple locations on most machines. If the main tag with serial number is missing it is a good indication that it is/was stolen at one time. Check on-line databases, call the dealer where the machine was bought if it still has the dealer's sticker, do a google search on the serial number, check equipment trader's listing on stolen equipment, etc. If you have doubts/concerns when talking to the seller about whether he/she is being truthful - look elsewhere. Anything I buy I always ask the same questions twice over a period of time to see if I get the same answers. You'll be surprised how many times you'll get conflicting answers. I know people who have mistakenly bought stolen equipment and have had the insurance companies/local authorities coming after them. Not fun. Contact the guy with the case and chat with him. He may take a reasonable offer. They are good machines...cummins too!
Probably should clarify - when I say stick your foot in between the tires, I mean from toe to heel. Now, I have a short foot, so my boot is around 12" overall length. Some of those machines I suggested looking for I can't get my foot in, but close. The NHLS180 has almost a 4' wheelbase...good stability and great lift capacity, but they do tend to wear tires faster when counter-rotating, etc. That couple I referenced from the craigslist ad is going up and down the east coast renting machines from companies, then they sell them at an under-market value for cash. They suspect they have millions in cash stashed away. Probably will only get a few years jail time when caught. So, if a deal is too good to be true...could be stolen!
Swammy, thanks again for the info and your time one more question if you don't mind, where are serial numbers located at Normally, that I can look for them? I owned a gun store for many yrs, and have a LOT of friends in law enforcement, (also trained a lot of them as well) SO, I guess I can also have them check/run numbers for me But don't know where they would be to find them, when I go and look when I had my gun shop, I too also had the deal about NOT knowing of a gun was stolen or not, and there wasn't really any way to check, as unless a gun was used in a crime, or legal shooting, they never get there numbers run have both bought and sold, some used one's that yrs later tuirned out to be stolen, and ended up loosing the funds, or guns which sucked, but?? it happens and I fully agree, deals that seem too good to be true, tend to me scam's I am NOT a big fan of craigslist, the few times I tried to sell anything, I was hammered by folks trying to scam me on some money order buy deal, and I just deleted them ?? the world is a crazy place any more since this web came about! and then the economy crapping downwards?? Thanks again, appreciate the help/information , I like to know as much as I can before buying when I can!
The 75XT is a great machine, if you can get one with low hours like that and it doesn't look abused you will most likely be very happy with it. Most serial numbers are on a plate mounted somewhere on the rear exterior of the machine, there may also be stamped numbers on some of the larger pieces. Most machines will be sold with bills of sale and sometimes the original paperwork will go along with it. I bought the 763 from the original owner and got all that with it, put my mind at ease because I wasn't crazy about the dude I bought it from. lol
I would suggest to move up to the $18,500 budget range, and looked for a 7,500lb tracked skidsteer. These machines handle the terrain well and are big enough to really move some material fast, and can do a lot of digging. Look for a machine in the 2000-3000 hour range. Don't worry about a nice GP bucket with cutting edge. Just get a good quality digging bucket, and a large materials bucket. This is a pretty big machine even though it's considered a compact loader. It's big enough that some can lift over 3000lbs, and not kill you on diesel fuel. Mine is a Takeuchi TL130 bought used from United Rentals. I can move 35 yards in an hour. Lift a pallet of retainer wall blocks (3000lbs +). Burns about 10-15 gallons a day. To own a machine would be good if you like to do some of the mechanical work yourself, and just want to own a machine. But really I think you could pay someone to come in and do the job for a couple of thousand. You can learn to operate on your own, but it's best to read, watch ytube, try and see what works and doesn't. I think it will take a least 3 days on the machine to not feel that the machine is twitchy just going forward and backwards etc, and a lot more to become really good. Good machines might be the Bobcat T190, Takeuchi Tl130. If you go with a wheeled skidsteer, $11,000 should get you a nice machine with some attachments.
PeterG, thanks for the reply and info/suggestion BUT as for paying someone to come, that's not really an option I want, as this at a hunting property, and I don't live there, and I don't really know when the fill will be coming, its being delivered as a friend gets it over the course of the next yr or so, so he will just be bringing it as he gets it, and then I will be there when I have time, to move it. SO having a machine there , for just when I have time, OR even my buddy to use if he has time when he dumps it. is what I need, as till I call and have a machine delivered and then, have to balance that with weather and all, its going to ned up me spending a bunch of money that has NO return where I see it as buying, I end up with a machine I can turn about and maybe sell, IF I decide I no longer want it, and get something back I tend to keep and take good care of my things, so, resale will be able to get a good bit back I think, should I decide I don't need it after I get my project done and this project will be a slow one, I expect it to take over a yr, BUT its not a big high priority project, its just something I wanted to do to this property since I got it, and now have a buddy that can get me fill for free, as he gets it, a few tri axle loads at a time he says!, off and n throughout the yr as far as speed of a a machine, that's NOT really a important thing to me, as , the lay of the land is tricky and doubt I will be able to go fast at all, and its NOT a project I am worried about getting done super fast, just want to pick at it as I have time, and a machine that is solid and will run problem free thru the project as its a pretty remote place and NO shop, or many tools there, so break downs will be a bigger issue for me to worry about than speed of a machine YES time is money to a point, BUt its not a job I care how long it takes me I am semi retired, so I tend to have too much time on my hands as is, so will give me something to do LOL Again thanks for all the reply's and info, much appreciated
I think that 250 Deere would be a way better machine than any Bobcat in your price range. That 250 will work circles around any 7(53-63-73) Bobcat. I only mention those because any DECENT S205-300 will be way out of your price range. Now if you could find an 873, that would probably be the ticket. I ran a 280 Deere for years with my dad. My only complaint was no A/C. I'll agree with everyone, a tracked skidder would probably be the best machine for you, but anything at or under $15,000, you don't want. I also wouldn't be concerned about over-the-tire tracks unless you're going to be out messing around when it's wet.
If the 250 JD is not a series II I wouldn't even consider recommending a new guy buying one, irregardless of whether it can out-lift or push a similar sized bobcat. If it was a series II I'd still have concerns about common issues with those machines - engine vibration of that 3 cylinder is one of the nastier/more expensive ones to deal with. Overall, those machines did not give JD a good rap - even many of the sales guys were saying this. Safer bet on others. JMO. BTW - some of the serial plates are in the cab around your right shin or above your knee (some case/nh/asv/jd). Some of them are around right rear outside and inside corner/tower, and left rear outside corner. Here's a mid-hour Bobcat S220 that will probably end in your price range. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBCAT-S220...473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aad356b89
You don't say if you are looking for a machine with a door and heat etc for winter plowing etc. Where will you keep the machine? Outside, or under-cover in a shed or garage? Any fresh concrete or asphalt to run over?
thanks again as for where it will be kept, it will be kept outside on the site, MIGHT put a canvas tarp over it to help on weather, but NO buildings there YET to put it in, that's kinda the down the road plans, to get the place level to be able to build a garage/pole barn on it there is NO cement on the site either or pavement, everything is either dirt or some 2A gravel I made a 20 ft wide by about 200 ft long drive way and then a 100-75 ft are to turn things around on , as in spring time, the ground gets very soft, so needed a base of about 5+ inches of 2a gravel, think I used about 300 ton IF I recall right? BUT when I am at this place in winter time(have a small hunting cabin on site) I do try and plow out some of the lccals, as they keep tabs on the place for me all yr, so, its a cheap way to keep them happy and looking out for my place Ben plowing them with a pick up or an atv with a plow, BUT almost all in the past few yrs, have got new pavement in for drive ways, and or cement drives, some are about 1/4 mile long or so Thus why I cannot use steel tracks come winter time having the option of being able to remove for winter is a plus as for having heat or a door its NOT a big deal to me, I am outdoors type person, big into snowmobiles and such, so cold doesn't bother me IF I had to pick, I'd MUST rather have a door and AC for summer time work, and or just to keep the pesty bugs away, we get at times, Black fies and mosquito's and such But again can live without a door the door would be NICE but NOT a deal breaker by any means, be good to keep weather out I have had many tractors over the yrs that didn;t have cabs and seen a LOT of weather and lasted long I never let scratches go without adding a quick coat of paint, to slow any rust and such in time again I plan on a building to store things like this in, just the site isn;t ready for that, and need time to build up a budget too. as again this is at a property I don't live on/at! and thanks again!
Storage? Sounds like fun! Here's an idea: get a couple shipping containers and build a roof over them. Gets you affordable lockable storage and a nice run-through shelter. I found a 40' container on craigslist that a guy was wanting gone asap, so he took $800 for it. Went in the next day and cut it in half with a chop saw, then hauled both halves to the shop on my dumper. Paid my son to enclose the ends and build a couple sections of attic storage over it with some recycled materials. All of it can easily be moved to another spot if necessary. Total project was around $1500. Guy could live comfortably upstairs if you put the roof/floor over both containers.
great idea there swanny, BUt haven't ever seen anyone my way selling them, and don't have the trailer to move one if I found one I have a few friends that got old tractor trailer , trailers for use as storage on there sites, or just contrariness like your's But its been a long time since I seen anyone selling any for a reasonable price once I get a god amount of this place filled in and leveled up, I plan to do a decent sized pole barn but its a down the road project , that is a as funds allow type of deal this property isn't a priority for me, just something I got yrs back and have been picking at as extra funds show up Heck, once I buy a skid steer, next buy will more likely be a trailer to move it about with!. THEN a pole barn unless I win the lottery LOL then the game changes, But I doubt that's a real likely event! HAHA! Heck, I haven't even bought a ticket in a long time, so winning isn;t going to be easy! HAHA!
MRBB...just curious, where are you or what are you near in NE PA?? My wife & I both grew up on the border with NE PA, only on the NY side in Sullivan Co.
I am near Hazleton PA, been in NY a lot over the yrs, used to snowmobile there a lot for many many yrs HAVE a hunting camp also up in Sullivan County, PA, NOT NY, same county name however LOL and MY skid steer search is NOW on hold a little finally got a settlement on a farm I been in for the past 17 months, and NOW have a crap load of farm stiff to move, several smaller tractors and implements and a 5 bay garage full of STUFF, a BIG barn and a 6 bay 3 sided building?!! and only have the next two weeks to remove it all and find new homes for a lot of it?? so will be very busy the next few weeks Today was my first time allowed on farm to start moving things and have till the 25 th to remove it all, and spent 12+ hrs today moving things and didn;t put much of a dent in the pile of things to go?? OH well, glad the suit is finally over and can get my things now?? been a trying last yr and then some??