Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Heavy Duty Equipment Technology Textbook

profrooky ยท 2016-03-13 14:34

I have recently published a textbook with Pearson Education called Heavy Duty Equipment Technology: A Systems Approach. It is a geared towards College level students that are enrolled in Heavy Equipment Technician programs but would also make a great reference book for anyone owning or working on a piece of Heavy Equipment. It goes through all systems found on a piece of Heavy Equipment and takes the reader from the basics to higher levels of system fundamentals. It is roughly 700 pages long and includes features like Tech Tips, Case Studies, Shop Activities, Chapter reviews and Progress Checks. There's plenty of great illustrations from Cat, Deere and other manufacturers. It's written from the perspective of my 8 years as a College professor and 20 plus years as a Technician. Here's a link for more information and where it can be purchased. Heavy Duty Equipment Technology: A Systems Approach- http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educ...hnology-A-Systems-Approach/9780132373623.page (it can also be purchased on Amazon) Let me know if you have any questions and or if you're interested in purchasing one. If I get a lot of requests I'll ask my publisher if I can get a better price for Forum members. Thanks, Scott Heard

Replies32
  1. #1RBMcCloskey2016-03-13 20:23

    Great Idea with technology changing so quickly this looks like a "must have"...

  2. #2Shimmy12016-03-14 00:06

    Too bad the publisher couldn't have been something other than Pearson. The commie bastards are the ones behind this common core garbage, and I for one will not contribute one penny to them. Looks great otherwise.

  3. #3CaptainAnalyzer2016-03-14 03:41

    I wish Ferris included this book in the curriculum. We have Pearson's Heavy Duty Truck Systems for general bumper to bumper truck and Medium/Heavy Duty Engines for prime mover information.

  4. #4profrooky2016-03-14 13:42

    FYI.....Pearson has been pretty good to deal with other than the current downsizing of their marketing department (bad timing for me!)

  5. #5profrooky2016-03-14 13:51

    Hello C A..........I assume you have graduated from Ferris Heavy Equipment program. How did you like it? I will contact some one there to see if they would like to take a look at including my book in their program. Thanks, Scott

  6. #6profrooky2016-03-16 13:32

    Since the forum has members world wide is there anyone that has seen the need for this type of textbook in Trade Schools outside of North America?

  7. #7RBMcCloskey2016-03-16 15:52

    Tis the Pope Catholic, does a Bear poop in the woods, is Hillary a lying weasel that belongs in prison...YES

  8. #8ericscher2016-03-16 17:05

    Corporations can't buy influence if there isn't a corrupt govt to sell it to them. Not that I disagree with your sentiment... :drinkup

  9. #9RBMcCloskey2016-03-16 18:16

    Excellent point...

  10. #10John C.2016-03-16 19:22

    I would hope this counts as your one sales pitch on this forum. I have taught at a community college in the past and was required to use a text that was only sold at the college. It was also a very nice book that was extremely over priced and because of the speed of technology was out of date within a year of being published. My students felt ripped off, rightfully so, as once their time at the college was complete the book was only used as a coffee table weight. I've only used tech manuals after that which many people are just throwing away now days. I know the people who do the educating now days use book writing to supplement their income and fully realize they don't get paid near what their efforts and expertise are worth. Unfortunately most of the time that comes at the expense of the students who can least afford to pay for it and only the publisher really makes any money off your students and your effort.

  11. #11digger242j2016-03-16 21:28

    I'm going to assume that this Hillary person is someone who works at your local house of ill repute, or something like that, because I think there's a politician that goes by the same name, and you know we have a rule against discussing those... :cool2

  12. #12profrooky2016-03-18 16:07

    FYI.......I was reluctant to start a thread to raise awareness about my book since I know that's not what this forum is all about. I did however run it but Forum administration and got the A OK. I was also once a student in a Heavy Equipment College and had to buy textbooks that were used very little and soon after the end of program got stored in the basement (still have them though). When I started teaching in the College environment I realized there was a need for a quality textbook that could be used for a reference and one that students could easily understand. I spent a lot of time going through manufacturers service information and training literature putting together material I could use for teaching. I taught in many different areas (engines, hydraulic, electrical, drivetrains, welding etc...) eventually teaching almost 40 different courses during my time as a Professor. When I was approached by Pearson to write a textbook I accepted the challenge since I like to create solutions rather than complain about problems. This has been a HUGE undertaking and any thoughts of making easy money from the royalties soon disappeared when I started tracking the hours I was putting into it. I stopped tracking hours spent on it and focused on completing the book in the best quality I could, covering the most important points I could with the limited page count I was given. If you or someone you know would like to learn about how heavy equipment works I hope you consider buying my book. There may even be some used books available at a lower price. Thanks, Scott

  13. #13JDOFMEMI2016-03-19 15:44

    I for one would like to applaud your efforts.

  14. #14ericscher2016-03-19 16:47

    I'd like to take the counterpoint here. I spent a couple of decades in IT, most of it as a network engineer. I not only had formal education in the subject, I continued to buy textbooks on an ongoing basis. As I look up at the high shelf in my office I see that there is easily $3,000 worth of those books up there, and that's not counting what's elsewhere in the house. My point is this... These things never become obsolete, they simply stop being current. One year's textbook is next year's reference manual. I still have books about Windows NT4 and NT5, Unix, OS/2 and a couple of hundred pounds of material on Cisco equipment that was "End of Life'd" years ago. But when you have to work on a PIX-501 or a 2924M, they sure are nice to have around. Hell, I have a rack over my left shoulder that includes a couple of old 1900 series switches running Cat-OS. Try finding material on THAT now.

  15. #15CableDW10cat2016-03-20 01:18

    Looks like good reference material for the service truck, for hotel reading...

  16. #16RBMcCloskey2016-03-20 06:47

    And don't forget the bathroom...

  17. #17Water Doc2016-03-20 11:43

    What college did you teach at? I went to Centennial for Truck and Coach myself 15 years ago.

  18. #18profrooky2016-03-20 14:36

    Hi WD: Yes I first taught at Centennial starting in 2007, moved on in 2012. Taught mostly Heavy courses but some Truck and Coach as well.

  19. #19Water Doc2016-03-20 20:25

    Small world. I would have just missed you likely. You probably know some of my old professors, Sean Bennett, Angelo Spano, Gus Wright.. and a bunch more that I can't remember their names. Owen something or other. Had a blast there, and more importantly learned a bunch.

  20. #20profrooky2016-03-22 13:07

    Yes, I know all of those guys, Owen Duffy would be the other gentleman. They all had a wealth of experience and knowledge, it was a great school for students to be able to absorb a lot of knowledge in a short period if you were an apprentice.

  21. #21Darrellwoodke2016-03-27 19:21

    on my Kobelco Sk150lc Mark 4 Excavator my boom moves in and out when I pull the joystick on the left to the right or left why and does anyone know how i can fix this.

  22. #22RBMcCloskey2016-03-27 19:31

    I'm going to assume that this Hillary person is someone who works at your local house of ill repute, or something like that, --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nothing local in NJ, she is the Big One in DC... But that is a fitting description.

  23. #23RBMcCloskey2016-03-27 19:37

    Looks like good reference material for the service truck, for hotel reading... Will it be available in electronic format, it would be wonderful to keep on the lap top. Also, consider yearly update to keep pace with changing technologies. Could be a yearly maintenance fee, payable to YOU...

  24. #24profrooky2016-03-27 20:27

    Hey RB.......Thanks for the compliments! My publisher talked about an electronic version, I'll have to check if it's still a possibility. For e-books I believe it's more like a rental fee than a purchase. I've included a chapter on electronic systems and a section on emission reduction technology (SCR, EGR, HPCR, DPF's) in the Prime Movers chapter so it should remain fairly current for a couple years. The fundamentals of hydraulics, electrical and drivetrains don't really change it's more the electronic controls but I'm anticipating a need for a second edition in the next 3-4 years. I can also seeing hydraulic systems becoming more efficient with the use of more regen systems and accumulators but that might be put off until the next time fuel prices spike since extra components add extra $$. Scott

  25. #25Don.S2016-03-28 19:58

    Hey Mr. Heard this is great news I was just thinking about you and your book the other day wondering if you had finished it yet. Mr. Heard was my instructor last year.

  26. #26profrooky2016-04-13 21:46

    Hey Don: Good to hear from you, are you working towards getting your license?

  27. #27CaptainAnalyzer2016-04-14 02:18

    Profrooky, I am currently a junior in the program and the president of the after hours student organization, I sincerely love the program and adore the facility. I'm good friends with most of the faculty here and I have brought your book to their attention, however being a NATEF certified program places our emphasis on more of the truck side of things for students first two years for the AAS degree. The BS program (4 years) is AED certified and focused on the advanced equipment service and management aspect of the industry. If you'd like, send me a PM and I will get you in contact with the upper level of faculty in our program. Thank you Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28Don.S2016-04-19 22:10

    I would love to be working towards it but I have still not found a place to work. I am currently back to running a shovel and landscaping. I also do side work like I did before school but its mainly little things like change rubber tracks and maintenance stuff. for some reason I have gotten a lot of calls for leaking oil coolers and water pumps on 7.3 powerstrokes so I am pretty quick at them now haha.

  29. #29Cat Mech642016-04-30 21:59

    I'd like to have this book to reference back to. I just can't shell out the buck 50 for it.

  30. #30CJRAtlantic2016-05-06 21:07

    Can you get the book digitally. It looks like if you do it through pearsons then it expires.

  31. #31profrooky2016-05-10 20:19

    Sorry, I don't set the price, the only suggestion I have would be to wait until there are used books for sale. I do know it is competitively priced with other similar textbooks. Thanks, Scott

  32. #32profrooky2016-05-10 20:53

    Hey CJR: Yes it looks like an electronic version is available and I believe there is a one year subscription for it. I have asked my publisher for details on just how that works. I'll get back to you. Thanks, Scott