Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New here and a question on a Hitachi EX8

Bassie4265 · 2026-04-28 16:57

Hi guys, I’m new to this forum and hope you experts can help me out. I don’t have any experience working on this kind of equipment, but I’d really like to learn and I’m generally quite handy. A few months ago, I bought a second-hand Hitachi EX8 for some work on my property. It’s a 2006 machine with 1,800 hours on the clock. I’m planning to do some maintenance in the coming period. Right now, I’m mainly having issues with the track tension. I checked the manual and it says there should be a cylinder system that allows you to adjust the tension using grease. However, I opened it up and don’t see a grease nipple—apparently it has a different system. Does anyone know this system and how it works? Can I increase the tension myself with it? And how does this system work when I need to replace the track, since that will need to be done fairly soon? Thanks in advance for any tips! Remco

Replies7
  1. #1Diesel Dave2026-04-28 17:17

    Just to help reference the proper parts and service manuals ,You have a machine serial # ?

  2. #2Bassie42652026-04-28 17:27

    You are right, excuse me, after some inspection it's actually from 2002, serial number: 1AGP004358, EX08-2.

  3. #3Diesel Dave2026-04-28 17:51

    sn# prefix 1AG pertains to a EX8-2B . See screenshot below from AVSpares online parts catalog for EX8-2B . Looks like the track tension is adjusted by tightening/ loosening that the long threaded bolt shown in your pics which is item # 14 in parts diagram.

  4. #4Diesel Dave2026-04-28 18:40

    There are lots of Operators manuals and Service manuals available, just make sure they reference EX8-2 B .

  5. #5Bassie42652026-04-29 03:31

    Thanks Dave, this looks exactly like my situation! I'm wondering what keeps de long bolt, nr14, in place...? It looks like the wheel is bolted onto part 6. So you think part 6 including the wheel is pushed forward/backward when turning part 14, and if so, where is part 14 attached to. Thanks!

  6. #6Diesel Dave2026-04-29 10:07

    The bolt #14 passes through the track frame plate which is threaded.

  7. #7OliviaLopez2026-04-29 13:30

    I have the same machine. @Diesel Dave already answered your questions.