Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland 555c Backhoe pops out of 3rd gear?

JNewton ยท 2023-04-29 14:18

Approx 1991 NH 555c drives good - just pops out of 3rd gear when you let off throttle. Any help appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1cosmaar12023-04-30 00:12

    Is it engaging all of the way to begin with? Any grinding noises? Does it do it in 3rd gear reverse?

  2. #2JNewton2023-04-30 08:56

    it does seem to engage all the way, no grinding noises, and it acts the same forward and reverse. I put it in 3rd and it will be fine until I let off the throttle and then it will slip out of gear, if I hold the lever in gear it will not want to slip out and will act fine. Thanks for any help.

  3. #3rumblecloud2023-05-01 18:34

    I'm not an anywhere near an expert on this, but I found this in the 555E, 575E, 655E, 675E Repair Manual. Yours is a 555C so it may not apply . I'm still learning...so apologize for lack of a more in depth response. R

  4. #4JNewton2023-05-01 22:05

    I was thinking that may have something to do with the detents but I am not that familar with how the detents hold the shifter in. I went online and ordered a repair manual, hopefully that will show me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

  5. #5clueless22023-05-02 09:18

    You should be able to feel the in gear shift handle when the detents go into their notches. Shift into other gears and determine if it feels different in 3R.