Been looking for good advice on how to time the injection pump back to the motor, I’m aware that the motor has to be at 28 degrees btdc. Well I had fuel issues so we locked the pump shaft down an pulled pump off an sent to shop, pump guy serviced pump an put pump back we’re it was locked down . So basically we reinstalled it an get fuel to injectors an it smokes real heavy an want run on its on, will limp along on either tho , but not on its on, The motor is a 322t 3 cylinder, it has a keyed injection pump gear but not a keyed pump shaft tho, I’ve had issues dealing with this type of Lucas pump before cause there’s no timeing marks on it nor a slotted adjustment to fine tune it, last time I installed one it took me hrs, basically I had the front gear cover off the motor an radiator out of the way, an I basically pulled up a chair an an started moving one tooth at a time till I got it running . It took hrs , an I don’t wanta go down that rd again. I know we should of marked the shaft to the gear but we didn’t, my pump guy told me to loc it down an send to him.
Sorry. Meant to say it’s a332t
When u took the front cover off.. theres a gear & attached to the gear is there a pump drive coupling.?? Is there 4 holes in the gear.?? 3 for bolts & 1 for a timing pin..?? . the fuel shop shoulda told u how to do it right.. it wasn't Turbo Diesel &Elect. was it..??
No sir, nut the 865lx that I had issues with few yrs ago had this same Lucas pump on it an it did have the hub bolted on the end of the shaft an had the pin hole in it along with the pump drive gear being slotted for adjustments, pump guy just looked at were pump was when it arrived there an he noted it an reset to same spot then locked it down an sent it back
It cant be done like that.. he shoulda known better.. That gizmo on the side is a cold start advance mechanism.. it changes the timing about 7-8*.!! Try unplugging it.. Your in a world without love NOW.. There WAS an easy way to do it.. just rotate the engine till that "extra" hole was at 6:00 & shove a drill bit in it & take the pump off.. IF u DIDNT take the pump drive off the gear, u can STILL DO THAT.. & just send the pump back to be timed/LOCKED to #1..
I’m aware of the pin timeing of the front of the pump(on pumps that have the hub that’s bolted on it). But my pump is regular style, gear it’s self bolts on shaft with no key on shaft, even tho I have a keys gear