Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland B95 backhoe Water in hydraulic system and Transmission

blacky705 · 2025-06-01 19:35

I recently purchased a 2008 New Holland B95 backhoe. I changed all the fluids when I first got it. There was water in the hydraulic system and in the transmission. After a few hours of use, I checked the oils again and has water again. Are they supposed to be two separate systems or is there a chance for them to mix, and I have a faulty oil cooler? Unsure how water is getting into the system. Any help would be appreciated

Replies6
  1. #1aighead2025-06-02 15:16

    There are several threads discussing thorough flushing process that amounts to- it's a pain in the butt. I'll sum it up by saying that if you didn't crack open every hose and work the cylinders while spending a ton by feeding all those cylinders new oil until only new oil is shooting through them you likely didn't get it all. I went through the process and still have watery fluid. One day I'll do it again, but it won't be today. My machine lives inside but previously was an outdoor machine, I'm not sure how water penetrated either but I'm not terribly surprised. I've done a fair amount of wet or underwater digging and assume I've probably sucked some water in at some point. This relates only to hydraulic fluid, I don't know nothing about transmission fluid...

  2. #2HarleyHappy2025-06-03 07:24

    Depending on where you live, just temperature fluctuations can and will cause moisture in your oil. Most obvious though is leaking cylinder seals and using while the rods are wet. Depending on how the machine is stored, water will sit on cylinders and get sucked right in, when using. On some systems, they have a vent and rain water or snow can melt, going into system. Then there is my plow for my backhoe that has rusty cylinders and well I use it in the snow and it melts. I spent good money flushing one of my machines and on my Case 580, I put a 3/4” gate valve on the hydraulic tank drain and every once in a while, I will drain off water. There is always some but after doing that for a couple of years, I have it down to a thimble full of water. What you don’t want, is enough water, for it to emulsify, mixing with the hydraulic fluid.

  3. #3blacky7052025-06-03 07:48

    I definitely have leaking hydraulic seals that I'll get to but do you know if the hydraulic system and the transmission share the same cooler causing the oil to mix together which would explain water in the transmission. Thanks for the reply

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-06-03 08:44

    Not sure but should be easy to tell. Do you have a separate oil cooler or do your oil cooler lines go into the radiator? I believe the NH had a shared oil cooler. Think the B series had a separate oil and tranny cooler.

  5. #5blacky7052025-06-03 08:53

    It looks like 4 lines go into the same cooler behind the AC condenser and in front of the rad. I'm pretty sure it mixing, poor engineering IMO. Guess I better get to those leaking seals

  6. #6NH575E2025-06-03 10:12

    Not sure on the B95 but the E series doesn't share the oil or cooler with the transmission. The hydraulic system on the E series doesn't have a water cooled oil cooler for the hydraulics. I haven't looked up the trans cooler. I had problems with water in the hydraulics when I was parking outside but my trans has remained clear. I think part of my problem was the oil cap which I replaced with a generic cap designed to hold 3 lbs of pressure on the system. I was able to get my oil cleared up by just changing the reservoir oil a few times and cycling everything in use.