Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland C185 Firing order?

sawdustmaker ยท 2016-01-05 15:09

Hey all, Im new here, hoping i can get a little help with my new project. I bought a C185 last week that needs some TLC. Whoever worked on it before was probably on drugs. Everything is rigged up one way or another. its bad. Anyhow, it starts and idles just fine but revs up really sluggishly only to ~1700 rpm, and has no power at all. It was all i could do to load it on the trailer. First thing i did was change the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure. I get 5 lbs cranking, so i think thats ok. Do to the obvious lack of mechanical knowledge of the previous mechnic, i suspect that the timing was not set correctly. So, this morning i decided to check/set the timing. I pinned the flywheel to TDC and pulled the valve covers to make sure i was on the right tdc. I was expecting #2 intake and #3 exhaust to be open indicating compression TDC for #1. But what i found was backwards. #3 intake and #2 exhaust was open indicating a 1-3-2 firing order. I went and check the book and it says the firing order is 1-2-3. Is the #1 piston on the fan side, or the cab side? I assumed the fan side since that is the piston that is TDC when the flywheel is pinned. What am i missing?

Replies25
  1. #1sawdustmaker2016-01-05 19:29

    The flywheel is pinned with a drill bit (im assuming its pinned correctly on the crank) The line on the cam shows that im at compression TDC And yet exhaust #2 and Intake #3 are open

  2. #2sawdustmaker2016-01-05 20:34

    This just has me confused. However the real issue im fighting is lack of power. it will crank right up, and idle smoothly. but it will stall under any load. I was told that lining the keyway up with the scribe mark is correct timing, (or close enough) If the injection Pump is bad it would make sense, but it seems odd to me that it idles as good as it does if the pump is bad. Any help would be appreciated.

  3. #3sawdustmaker2016-01-05 20:46

    Does anyone have the spec for Fuel Pressure and timing?

  4. #4Scrub Puller2016-01-05 21:29

    Yair . . . sawdustmaker. A bad case of water in the oil? . . . I would be concerned about the white oil and rust . . . what's the story there? No point in chasing power if you have no lubrication. Cheers.

  5. #5sawdustmaker2016-01-05 21:36

    Yeah. I should have mentioned that. It blew the oil cooler gasket. But that's fixed. The rust on the rocker pedestal is actually from the valve cover bolt letting water in. Also fixed. No I didn't use milk for oil but it does look like it. I'm going to pull the motor out to go through it but this fueling issue needs to be fixed first.

  6. #6Scrub Puller2016-01-05 23:59

    Yair . . . sawdustmaker Gotcha mate . . . I had to ask. (big grin) Cheers.

  7. #7mitch5042016-01-06 00:36

    Hopefully, Pumpguysc will chime in soon, he should have all the pump info. I don't know what part of SC you are in, but he's west of Charleston a little ways.

  8. #8sawdustmaker2016-01-06 03:37

    I have 6 psi fuel pressure idling. Seems low to me, but i dont think thats enough to make it this weak. Im pretty sure by now that something is wrong with the injection pump. Mitch, Im in Walhalla.

  9. #9sawdustmaker2016-01-06 03:45

    Its been amusing and horrifying finding **** "fixed" by the hack-jobs that worked on this thing last. I got a kick out of what they did when they lost the copper washers for the return line. lol

  10. #10DDoug2016-01-06 07:48

    Now that's innovative ! Gotta keep that one in the old brain cells for just such an emergency....

  11. #11mitch5042016-01-06 19:28

    Just what I was thinking, Doug! Walhalla is just as far from me as you can be and be in SC. I hauled a navy landing craft to the port of Georgetown from the nuclear power plant up there a few years ago.

  12. #12sawdustmaker2016-01-06 23:46

    I just went ahead and pulled the motor tonight. I do not know if the IP is bad but I knew the motor had to come out so I went ahead with it. The previous mechanic was quite an electrician, judging from his use of electrical connectors and wire nuts. His "wiring harness" for the injection pump. lol Not sure why this uploaded sideways. Anyhow, this is the wiring for the Quick Attach

  13. #13sawdustmaker2016-01-06 23:54

    Before I bought this I noticed that there was JB weld on the side of the block. Which really didn't surprise me after everything else I'd seen. I don't have a pic before I started chipping it off. They apparently took a piece of mild steel, cut it to size and pointed a mig gun at it and pulled the trigger. Then ground a little and covered it with JB weld. this is after i chipped most of the jb weld off

  14. #14sawdustmaker2016-01-07 00:05

    Also they failed to correctly fit the fracture split rad caps on two out of three cylinders scoring rod bearings just a bit. More carnage.... And then this. What am i seeing??

  15. #15mitch5042016-01-07 00:30

    Some of your pics didn't make it, but I'm beginning to get the sense that this is one of those machines "rebuilt by a local maniac, with his own three hands"; to quote P.F. Mcmanus.

  16. #16sawdustmaker2016-01-07 00:41

    The last thing i found that they had "fixed" proved they really knew what they where doing. They dropped the oil pump and broke off the corner. Oh look more JB weld. I unbolted it and it easily broke free.... Last time i checked, mig welding cast aluminum, with steel wire, was not the industry standard.

  17. #17sawdustmaker2016-01-07 00:48

    I Think i got them all up now.... Right! I love some Pat Mcmanus, I dont recall that quote, but it sure fits.

  18. #18sawdustmaker2016-01-07 00:56

    Are these plastic adapters supposed to not crack???? It seems like a poor design to me. But hey, at least it isnt JB welded, or worse yet, mig welded cast alumium with steel filler....

  19. #19mitch5042016-01-07 23:21

    Well, that's two interesting techniques I've learned from this thread! I can see myself using the ring terminals on the banjo bolts for an emergency repair some day, but I don't think I'll use the steel welding on cast aluminum, except to bet that it can be done, (on scrap). If you'd have asked me, I'd have sworn it couldn't. I wondered if anybody would recognize Mcmanus, that quote is from one of his books, talking about the bicycle he had as a teenager. I read it 30 yrs ago, and that line stuck with me. Maybe because I spend most of my life redoing that maniacs work.

  20. #20sawdustmaker2016-01-08 01:06

    Duct tape would be better....

  21. #21sawdustmaker2016-01-10 21:39

    Any help? Specifically interested to hear from the pump guy.

  22. #22sawdustmaker2016-01-14 13:43

    bump. Hopefully ill have the crank back tomorrow.

  23. #23sawdustmaker2016-01-16 03:05

    Machine shop says they cant fix the crank. Where do i look for a crank?

  24. #24Jeepwalker2016-01-16 10:26

    What are going to do about the hole in the block?

  25. #25mitch5042016-01-16 10:28

    With all the things you are finding, have you looked for a used engine? Sometimes it is worth cutting your losses and backing up a step once you find this many problems. What engine is it? I work on a lot of New Holland ag stuff, I have a customer with a NH skidsteer (forget the model right now, old though) with a good engine that he'd love to get something out of. The engine had just been replaced and they found the engine wasn't the problem, the hydraulics were. He bought it like that for nearly nothing and has been looking for a teenager who can repair it in his backyard for $5 an hour. He won't pay what a mechanic, (me or others) would charge because he says he doesn't know what else is wrong. I can probably buy the whole thing cheap.