Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland damaging old Fords

rexco32 · 2014-02-08 04:33

I bought a 1993 Ford 655D backhoe at the end of last summer.wishing to get off to a clean start, I obtained filters and oil from my nearest New Holland dealer. The oil specified for the transmission (by NH)was ATF (Automatic transmission fluid) This has since caused problems (or shown up existing problems) due to its viscocity The correct lubricant for a Ford 555D/655D is Ford M2C-134D (Universal tractor transmission oil UTTO) In certain markets New Holland are recommending the wrong Lubricant In France Total oils are recommending the wrong lubricants for this model (confirmed by email)and in Europe some of oil producers are recommending ATF, whilst the others are recommending UTTO. Nobody has yet said that ATF will damage the Ford transmission but they have all stated that ATF and UTTO should never be mixed http://agriculture.newholland.com/au/en/PartsServices/nhparts/Pages/Lubricants.aspx

Replies4
  1. #1rexco322014-02-08 04:56

    The Ford 655D being repaired and now waiting for oil verdict. Will ATF damage the transmission and do I have to flush the fluid out?

  2. #2rexco322014-02-08 05:15

    Front clutch pack

  3. #3El Hombre2014-02-10 17:20

    My Ford 750 is 20 years older than yours. I tried some oil in the trans and rear axle that wasn't 134. Only thing I noticed was the wet brakes shuddered and groaned with the different oil. When enough leaked out, I topped it off with 134 and back to normal. Most of the difference between trans oils is in the friction modifiers that effect how the clutch pack and band friction materials engage. The rest of the additive package is the usual anti-foam, oxidant, detergent, corrosion, package they all have. BUT considering how little the oil costs versus pulling the whole thing down again and replacing the frictions, I'd flush it and use the Ford oil.

  4. #4rexco322014-02-11 00:53

    Thanks El Hombre thats good advice. I will flush the ATF out and put in 134D, I don't really want to pull it apart again. New Holland construction (France)just emailed me the correct oïl spec for the 655D and its Ford M2C-134-B/C, which I beleive is replaced by the 134D