Readers, I have a few question pertaining to an EC130. I need to run a hydraulic hammer (maverick 4250), and I am in the process of getting quotes for aux hydraulics. There is an extra valve on the valve block, but I am told this is not high flow and cannot be used for a hammer. The local new holland dealership has told me that the EC130 comes equipped with a switch built into the right joystick and the high flow valve is located on the next to the slew motor. I would only then need to plumb lines to the hammer. I have attached a picture of what is supposed to be the high flow valve. Does anybody out there have an EC130 with aux hydraulics that can shed some light on this for me? Thank you in advance. Dan
Are you running any other auxiliary hydraulics? If all you are planning to run is the breaker you should be able to run pressure from that valve and run your return straight to tank. The switch in the cab should be plumbed to a valve that shuttles that pilot pressure to that spool. It looks like those small hoses are hooked to a valve already but to what I don't know. I usually use a pilot regulating valve to control flow from that valve. The more pressure the more flow. Until you get to max flow. Your machine should have enough flow. It only needs 35-40gpm.
AndrewC, Thank you for your response. I am only planning on the running the breaker. I believe the small lines are connected to a valve that is connected to the switch. I just need to take a little time and investigate the source. If this is so, then as you said it should be fairly painless to run a pressure line to the hammer from that valve and then a return line to the tank. I was afraid that I might have to had a valve and switch; luckily it appears I will not have to. The "pilot regulating control valve" you mentioned: can this be installed inline in the pressure pipe/hose going to the hammer? Or does this have to be attached to the valve pictured above? I will be using a hammer that the manufacturer of the hammer recommends for a 200 series machine but, according to the specs needed(flow-HP), I believe my machine can handle it. -Dan
I don't see you being able to use a hammer that's sized for a 200 machine and using it on a 135 machine, it's going to be too big. As mentioned, the return line from the hammer must return to tank, not through the control valve. A pilot line regulating valve is used to control the output (gpm/flow) of the control valve sending oil to the hammer on a machine that has a pilot operated foot pedal controlling the control valve. If your machine has an electrical switch foot pedal (or joystick switch button) controlling the pilot system to the control valve, then there's a solenoid valve somewhere doing this and may likely already have a pilot pressure control.
The pilot regulator works on the pressure that moves the spool in order to control the flow by moving the spool more or less which as you said is controlled by the switch in the cab but what I would do is plumb it like I already said. Pressure off that valve and return to the tank and see how much flow you have out the couplers. If you are running 1 inch line down the boom and on the return you should have enough flow but put a flow meter on it anyway and set your relief to about 3300psi to 3500psi. Usually that pilot regulating valve needs screwed in all the way for large attachments such as a breaker. So therefore plumb it then with a flowmeter make sure you don't have to much flow if you do then you will need to turn down the pilot pressure to the valve. We often over spec our attachments with no problems just needs a bigger set of lugs.
Andrew C and Willie59, Thank you both for the information. Willie59, I have seen the same size Maverick hammer being used on a similar sized machine(Deere 135C). The machine seemed to handle the hammer well. I will be using the hammer to breakup a limestone formation in order to harvest rip-rap. I cannot argue the fact that the hammer I have is sized for a larger machine. I will just have to hope my EC130 is adequate. Dan
The single hydraulic valve to the right of the main hydraulic valve on your picture is the original valve for hammer and shear. It uses the flow of one of the two hydraulic main pumps. Maximum flow is 123 l/minute and maximum pressure 360 Bar. The flow and the horse power (engine torque) control of the hammer valve is regulated by the DSH parameter in the PMS computer. Normally, the factory sets horsepower of the hammer valve at a very low level, which means that you will get around 40-50 l/min at 180 Bar. To get 123 l/min at 220 Bar, which is the maximum pressure before the hydraulic pump regulates, you will have to change the DSH parameter in the PMS computer to a value between 100-180 mAh. The free port on the right side of the main hydraulic valve is used for a triple articulating cylinder when the machine is equipped with a triple articulating boom. This port will give a flow of approximately 75 l/min at 180 Bar when the excavator is in the H mode, less in S mode. Since this port does not use the same pump as the hammer valve, it is possible to merge these two valves into one flow. It will be a little bit tricky to make both pumps flow correctly, but if it is done properly, you don’t need to change the DSH parameter in the PMS computer. However, you will have to increase the speed of the hydraulic fan motor in order to avoid overheating in the hydraulic oil if it is a warm day. If you merge two pump flows together, the flow at 220 Bar will remain 123 l/min but at 180 Bar it will be 150 l/min and at zero pressure, 246 l/min. Hope this will be of some help to you.
Kjell, This information is indeed helpful and the specific information I was trying to obtain from my local dealer. He unfortunately could only give me "broad brush strokes" on the overall operation. The hammer I will be running requires a flow of 90-110l/m and a pressure of 140-170 bar. Taking this into consideration, the values you listed for the original hammer valve will be too low. I would then have to merge the pump flows or adjust the DSH parameter. Question: how difficult is it to modify DSH parameter in the PMS computer? Will this require hard/software from New Holland? If I was to go the route of merging the flows; how would I control the flow from the main valve? Is there a built in control switch for this port? According to the information I can find online these new Holland excavators were built by O&K in Germany. Do you perhaps know the applicable model of O&K? I am currently working in the Netherlands and perhaps I could find some decent used components while I am working here. Thank you for the current and future information. Dan
Dan The O&K model is RH 4 PMS and was built in Berlin. To change the DSH value you need an EDS PMS Tester, which is a computer used for troubleshooting and changing software parameters on the excavator. Ask your dealer if they have it. I suggest you start by testing if your machine still has the factory setting or if it has been changed. Factory setting of DSH is 660 mAh, which will make the proportional valve to give 33 bar pressure to the hydraulic pump. You can measure it with an ampere meter on the cable to the proportional valve or with a 60 bar manometer at the pump. To get the DSH value you have to activate the hammer valve. If there is no EDS tester available and the DSH value is too high it is possible to override the pressure signal from the proportional valve, I have never done it but I have an idea of how to do it. If you merge the flows from two valves, you control the flow with the rpm and the H and S mode. The tricky part is to give the pump the right signal to produce oil flow. It is not difficult but requires a lot of text to explain and I am a very slow writer. A hammer that requires 90-110 l/min sounds like a perfect size to your excavator. Remember that if the hammer uses 170 bar, the pump has to produce another 20-30 bar because of the pressure losses from the pump to the hammer. I have an O&K MH CITY. It is the same machine as yours , except that it is short tailed and has a wheel undercarriage. I use a Furukawa F 19 hammer on it - a perfect match. Kjell
kjell, I am going to contact my New Holland dealer and see if they will be able to set the DHS at 120 mAH. This may be the best route for me since I have recently ordered all the piping, hoses, and connectors for the hammer valve. We purchased this machine new in 2002, and it has never been serviced by the dealer so I must assume that it has the factory settings. It will be several months before I get back to the USA and test out this information you have provided me. If my dealer cannot provide me with the computer, perhaps there is one in Chicago or Detroit that can. It is a shame that the factory settings are so low. I google searched the O&K MH City; it is indeed the same, but on tires. Do the O&K models also have cummins 4bt engines? So far this EC130 has proven to be relatively bullet proof. As far as overriding the proportional valve: I was talking to one of our automation engineers and he said it would be possible to build a standalone unit to provide a 120 mAH signal. Have you ever heard of this being done on a excavator? What was your idea or overriding the proportional valve?
Dan Since your EC 130 is of year 2002 the O&K model is RH 4.5, there are some differences like engine and swing pump, but it still has the PMS 3 hydraulic system. Most O&K models use Deutz engine, but later models use Cummins. The overriding of the proportional valve shall be done on the hydraulic side, between the proportional valve and the hydraulic pump. Don’t mess with the electric signal, because the dashboard and the PMS computer, which together control the proportional valve, are extremely expensive. The proportional valve is located behind the cabin and connected to the pump with a hose. Connect a 3 port electric valve between the proportional valve and the pump and connect a valve which can regulate pilot pressure between 5 – 45 Bar to port 3. The 3 port valve can be controlled manually or automatically of your choice. 5 Bar of proportional pressure will make the double pump to use 100% of engine power in one pump action and 200% in two pump action. Because of this, the 5 Bar pressure must be deactivated when you move boom, arm or the bucket cylinder when performing hammer work to avoid engine stall. The PMS 3 system is not cross sensing like most other open center hydraulic systems. That’s why it needs the DSH function in single pump action. Kjell
Kjell, Good information. If I understand you correctly I only need to install a "one in-two out" three port valve. One of the out ports needs to have a pressure regulating valve that can be set at five bar; the other out will just be a flow through from the in. I will wire the activation for this three port valve to the same relay that will control the hammer valve. Thanks again for the information. I will send you a message with the results once I have completed this work. gr, Dan
Kjell, FYI. I ended up just putting an aux kit on my EC130 to use a thumb. I was able to use the last open section on the valve block. The hammer valve remains free to use. I wired a directional control valve so that I could use the two buttons on the right stick. It all works great. I ended up putting a hammer on a EC240 that I recently purchased. The stroke on the hammer is a little slow, but that is all I need to remedy. I do not know how it is where you are, but it is getting pretty rough here in the USA finding parts for these machines. Sincerely, Dan