Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New holland Lb 110 opinions

sr-oz ยท 2020-08-09 04:31

Hi there, Seeking opinions please on these machines. Around 2000 to 2004 era. 4wd. Are they reliable? Especially in regards to the powershift transmission. Anything else I should look out for? Thanks in advance.

Replies5
  1. #1Swetz2020-08-09 09:04

    I do not have ownership experience with a lb110. I recently was in the market for a backhoe, which I did purchase. While looking, I narrowed it to New Holland and John Deere, because, for me, these are the brands that had good local support. Anyhow, I found a New Holland b95 that looked real good (in the listing). It was a 2007 model. It had limited electronics, which was important to me. I researched the model and found positive reviews. I researched the engine and found that it it is an iveco, which is really a cummins that they are licensed to build. I have read many positive reviews on this engine. I state all the above because I believe the lb110 is very similar. The b95 that I looked at had pilot controls and it operated sweet. I really like the machine, however, the one I found was really beat up. The New Holland b series is the first series that was created after Fiat took over New Holland. I ultimately purchased a New Holland 675E. This is a legacy unit from when Ford still owned the company. The b series has some nice upgrades and better capabilities from the 555E - 675E machines. As far as the powershift trans - My 675E has a powershift trans. I have read bad things in general. I was hesitant to purchase my unit because of the trans. I talked about that in a thread here on HEF. The powershift unit in my machine is a spicier/clark unit. It is a very large unit and looks heavy duty. It shifts well, so at this point I have nothing bad to say about it. I did change the oil as soon as I purchased the machine. The unit took regular automotive dexron/mercon trans fluid, so it is readily available. The filter from New Holland is quite spendy. I purchased an OE spicier filter from ebay for less than half the price New Holland wanted. It seems that they use this trans in some heavy duty forklifts as well, so they are out there. As far as shifting, the unit shifts well. I really do not like the actual shifter too much, but it works. Another consideration for me was that the machine I purchased was a low hour machine that I will be using privately (on my 43 acre parcel), so the hours will really not pile up. Things that were wrong with the b95 I looked at include: a parking brake that was inoperative (mechanical disc brake on the trans), various components loose in the steering (tie rods), a differential lock that was stuck on, and all of the latches for the windows were broken.

  2. #2sr-oz2020-08-10 04:10

    Thank you Swetz for the informative detailed reply. My 580 sr has the Iveco engine and has been faultless so far. It has the 4 speed manual shift gearbox with shuttle which is simple and reliable which I like a lot. I too have read about some powershift failures and a new holland I am considering buying has that transmission which is why I am asking. Anyone else like to comment on this? Cheers.

  3. #3Swetz2020-08-10 08:12

    How many hours on the machine? Have you laid eyes on it as of yet?

  4. #4aighead2020-08-10 10:41

    I've got a 2004 LB75b that seems to shift and run well. I bought it with about 4200 or so hours (give or take a couple hundred) and have put another several hundred on it with no issues. For what it's worth I'm a know-nothing but I've done some semi-serious work with the machine.

  5. #5sr-oz2020-08-11 08:00

    Thanks guys 3220 hrs , Only seen the pics on the ad, may get a chance to view this weekend. Guy says it shifts fine brakes work etc. Thanks.