Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland LT185B

Top Dog ยท 2026-07-19 16:02

It won't start unless either it when it does start fills air with white smoke like it is running on motor oil instead of diesel, and it is slobbering oil bad from exhaust. What to look for?

Replies5
  1. #1smifwal2026-07-19 21:05

    Is it blue or white smoke? it might be a coolant leak or bad fuel. My vac-tron was puffing white smoke, I bought it used full of red diesel, I sucked out as much as I could from the tank and the fuel water separator and changed the fuel filters. Filled it back up with fresh green diesel .All good now.

  2. #2Simon C2026-07-19 22:21

    Sounds like you have compression problem, fuel injection problem or maybe a mixture of both. Engine could be glazed and puking oil, could have broken rings, could be having a head gasket problem. Does it have glow plugs and do they work . Did the problem start suddenly or all of a sudden. Post more info for others to think about and respond. You will have to start testing somewhere. Simon C

  3. #3Top Dog2026-07-25 21:54

    I put new injectors and new turbo on today runs better but now backfiring through exhaust.

  4. #4Simon C2026-07-25 22:47

    I have plugged off the feed oil pipe or hose on a turbo charged engine, and removed the exhaust manifold to start it with no exhauust on. You will immediately see what is happening in what hole. If it is putting out lots of oil from one port, the engine cylinder is junk or the cylinder head guides are done on that cylinder. It will give you a good idea if there is antifreeze coming out or oil or fuel. They are a bit louder but with muffs and plugs it's not bad. Blow everything off very well first so that no dust gets into the air intake is my suggestion. Simon C

  5. #5Top Dog2026-07-30 10:01

    Does anyone have a service manual for this machine I would be interested in buying one. Sent it to shop to get working my knowledge has run out.