Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland skid steer with N-844 Shibaura engine governor adjustment

tractormech · 2025-04-19 18:37

Does any one have an actual manual on the procedure to adjust the governor linkages on this engine? I can't find what I need. I rebuilt the engine and it's got a hatd start isdue and the linkage has to be at full throttle for it to fire. The only thing changed is a new gasket on the timing cover. Everything else is the same. No swapping of parts. Thanks.

Replies24
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-04-19 21:54

    Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel.

  2. #2B&B2025-04-20 01:21

    I just rebuilt one, the manual I borrowed is for a perkins but it has all the adjustments in it. I'll post some pics of the procedure if I can remember tomorrow

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-04-20 07:57

    Do u have access to the injection pump control rack thru a removable panel in front of the pump. If so check to see if the rack is going to “full fuel”.. Another thing to check is: IF the pump has an electric shut off solenoid, has it been damaged.?? A LOT of people don’t know that U HAVE TO remove it FIRST, before trying to remove the injection pump. And they end up damaging either the solenoid or the control rack, not allowing the rack to move freely to the starting position.. Give it a look before you start screwing screws.. Good luck

  4. #4Tyler d4c2025-04-20 09:07

    Theres a spring that pulls the rack to full fuel when its not running and the shut off is powered up. Any how if its not there it will do exactly what your discribing.

  5. #5Tyler d4c2025-04-20 09:10

    No. 26 in the picture. Hooks to the link that goes to the inj. Pump and to the timing cover. It will pull the link towards the flywheel. Timing cover will have to be removed to install it.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2025-04-20 09:11

    As the name implys

  7. #7B&B2025-04-20 10:37
  8. #8B&B2025-04-20 10:38

    The n844l is a 404c22 perkins for all intents and purposes

  9. #9tractormech2025-04-20 18:44

    Ok thanks a lot

  10. #10tractormech2025-04-20 18:46

    Thank you.I'll check that out

  11. #11Luke bunton king2025-06-12 18:19

    I have a new holland ls170 with a possible governor related issue. The machine is low on power and bogs down when under heavy load e.g going full ahead in soft sand or up a hill. If you come back on the sticks the revs pick back up. I have changed all the filters, checked the fuel pickup etc and the turbo is making boost. There is no smoke when the machine begins to lose power. To me this would indicate under fueling? The machine starts and runs well otherwise. It does not feel like the governor is bringing in more power/fuel under load. Is it possible this is an issue with the governor or should I be looking somewhere else?

  12. #12thepumpguysc2025-06-12 18:59

    Personally I would either put a psi gauge off the filter head or just replace the supply/lift pump… Have u made sure your getting full travel on the throttle lever.? Make sure it’s hitting the stop screw.. I don’t think u have to start the engine for that test..

  13. #13Luke bunton king2025-06-12 19:23

    The throttle is touching the stop. What pressure should I see at the filter? The lift pump seems to be flowing well. I can fill a jerry can with it quite quickly. Is there any way to confirm governor function without pulling the cover off?

  14. #14thepumpguysc2025-06-12 19:51

    You’re looking for 6psi at full load.. The thing about the supply pump is, it will read fine at low idle and part throttle but it can’t keep up the demand at full load.. THATS where a gauge comes in very handy.. The only thing u can tell by pulling the cover off is, if its rusted.. I’m assuming u have a Delphi inj pump.??

  15. #15Luke bunton king2025-06-12 19:59

    Not sure on the brand of pump, I will look into fitting a fuel pressure guage.

  16. #16thepumpguysc2025-06-12 20:32

    That’s a PFR injection pump.. Not a Delphi.. It has a separate governor..

  17. #17Luke bunton king2025-06-12 20:33

    From the manual the governor is in the front timing cover

  18. #18Iagtroop2025-08-15 21:20

    Did you ever figure this issue out? I’ve got something similar going on and I’m thinking it’s a weak/stretched governor spring

  19. #19Tyler d4c2025-08-15 22:05

    What exactly is your trouble?

  20. #20Iagtroop2025-08-15 22:32

    Pretty similar to what Luke said was happening with his machine. I’ve got a new holland c175 with shibaura n844lt engine. Its idles great and revs up great but as soon as you put a load on it the rpms drop quite a bit and the machine struggles to go. There is no black smoke which normally would happen if the engine was loaded down to the point of not being able to move. I’ve tried adjusting the maximum fuel screw (as showed in the pictures above) and it didn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve checked inj pump timing, fuel filters, compression, air filter

  21. #21Tyler d4c2025-08-16 07:21

    Are you getting good fuel flow to the injection pump

  22. #22Iagtroop2025-08-16 10:09

    I will check that fuel pressure and get back with you

  23. #23Iagtroop2025-08-16 12:05

    The gauge I have is meant for higher fuel pressure so it’s hard to read. But looks like I’m getting less than 5 psi. I’ll try a different transfer pump and report back thanks

  24. #24Iagtroop2025-08-16 12:41

    Specs for this facet fuel transfer pump are 4-7 psi but also says “typical flow 15 gallons per hour at 3 psi.” So I think I’m good on fuel pressure. There’s no misfiring or white smoking, just a drop in rpm’s and loss of power