Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland starts and dies

pajibson ยท 2013-12-16 09:15

This is a new holland LM 840 that will start and then dies right out. I havent really done a whole lot of troubleshooting to this machine yet. when I looked at it there were several fuel leaks that need to be remedied first. One of the leaks is on the front of the pump. Its a lucas pump and on the front mounting plate there is what appears to be some kind of hole with a ball bearing in it (hard to see with the angle.) I have a pic of the pumps data plate but now of the leak itself. My question is this...What the heck is that and is it something that I can fix with out pulling the pump and getting it rebuilt? I have a ttached the pidc of the tag just below the tag and on the right of the pic on the mounting flange you can see the passage I'm talking about (note the clean spot below it where the fuel has washed away the dirt) Thanks for the help. SFC Jibson E 3/238 GSAB "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"

Replies2
  1. #1thepumpguysc2013-12-16 12:06

    That hole is a "weep hole".. its to let you know the front seals in the pump are going/gone bad.. The pump has to be removed inorder to fix.. I think on that application, you have to drain/remove the h20 pump before you can access the front bolts on the drive hub of the pump?? YOU MUST TIME THE PUMP/ENGINE BEFORE REMOVING THE I.P..!! If you snap a pic of the front of the engine. I'll walk you thru it..

  2. #2pajibson2013-12-16 13:35

    Yes the water pump does have to come off to get to it. That much I knew. Part of the reason I was inquiring about it. We got about 6 inches of snow this weekend and I really didnt want to go ahead and pull that off right now. Gotta check and see if the owner wants to try and leave it there or get it off the jobsite before trying to fix it. I'll try and get you a pic in the next day or two. thanks for the input. SFC Jibson E 3/238 GSAB "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"