Hey guys. Iv been here for a few years and seem to always be looking through this site for info. I can't seem to figure this one out hopefully someone can help. I have a 04 ls170. I bought the machine as is and it was dumping oil out the exhuast. Of course I assume turbo and sure enough the turbo was actually broken between the hot and cold side. So the wheels on either side were just flopping around in there. No idea how. Long story short I purchased a used turbo from a machine salvage place out by me for 350. Dealer wanted 1900 for a new one. I put the turbo in and machine started up and ran perfect aside from some whitish smoke which I expected since I drained about 2 cups of oil from the muffler I knew it would have some burning off to do. Well after about 45 min of starting stopping playing reving ect I noticed a significant amount of oil dropping out of the exhuast. To much to call it clearing out. I cleaned it all and again it ended up blowing some oil out. Not like before I bought it but enough to be worried. So I did notice the used turbo had some play in the shaft. Not a ton but a little bit of wiggle. Thought it would be ok and the place told me 90 day guarantee so I took a shot. I guess the seals are bad on this also? There was a small amount of oil on the intake rubber tube as well but nothing crazy. I took the oil cap off while running and no change in smoke or oil dripping. Oil drain is clear and running striaght down and back into the motor so no clog. ?? My question is do you think its bad seals? The turbo did look like it had some hours on it. It looked way more beat up then mine which was broken lol. Assuming it is, this place can get me a brand new turbo for 500 bucks! Problem is my machines 04 ls170 turbo part number is sba135756171 the turbo they can get me is for a l170 which is part number SBA135756171/N or SBA135756170. What's the difference why is there a digit difference and what's the n? The guy I spoke with said this did not cross reference in there system for my machine. As far I I understood it the ls and l170 are the same machine aside from some cab stuff and the l170 had some hydraulic upgrades later on. What am I missing? The turbo looks the same? Hopefully someone knows and can push me in the right direction. And how can I test or figure out if the oil is coming from the turbo or before the turbo? The intake had very little oil but it did have some. The exhuast was alot more but I'm just sort of guessing at the problem. Either way thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this or look into anything for me. I appreciate your time. I'll add a few pics of what my turbo is now.
The latest number for the turbo appears to be SBA135756172. This is for both the l and ls 170. With what you stated I'd say you have the seal in the turbo starting to go. Unless of course you have a lazy injector causing fuel to build up in the muffler. I've seen this before on these farm machines (new hollands).
Thanks for your input. I did think about it being fuel but I'm pretty confident it's oil. I did smell it and to the best of my ability think its oil. Is there a simple or striaght forward way to check an injector sticking or malfunctioning? And to clarify are you saying that the turbo they have for the l170 and not showing to cross reference to my ls170 is the same turbo? That's what I thought as well but I'm very limited on knowledge with these machines and motors.
I'm wrong I just looked again they are different numbers the difference is the number of bolts that hold on the exhaust elbow. Weavers compact tractor out of Shippensburg has the for 700.
Hey so my turbo is a 5 bolt.
Get another 5 bolt and you should be in good shape
Thanks alot for the help. So the 4 or 5 bolt is the difference and depending on sn number it's either early or later and one is one and one is another. Got it. I appreciate it.
You got it.
if you have your old turbo, and want to check, you could remove the cartridge, cut a piece of thin plate steel, clamp it in with the clamp that held the turbo together, duct tape a hose into the intake, plug the oil line and run it to see if it blows oil out the exhaust.