Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New insights in to operating heavy equipment

tmc_31 · 2014-02-02 23:57

Hey guys, It’s been an interesting couple of weeks for me! I don’t think I really understood the term “operator” until recently. Joined HEF back in 2008 because I was looking for some tips on how to get the most out of my 3 point backhoe attachment and my skidloader. I used this equipment in furtherance of my business. Over the years I’ve gotten pretty good with both pieces, or so I thought. In early January, I took a job as a backhoe operator on a wind farm project. This has been a real eye opener for me. The job is to take out approximately 25 miles of buried electrical wire, ground cable and fiber optic control cable that runs between the wind turbines and then down to a substation. The wire was apparently put in incorrectly about 8 years ago when the wind farm was built. After we get through taking the wire out, a subcontractor comes back and re-trenches in the new wire. I realized early on that I had a ways to go to be considered an “operator”. These guys are good! I guess it says something that I still have a job after a month though I’m not sure what. We work 10 to 12 hours per day 6 days a week in some pretty rough, rocky, hilly terrain. The company provides us with cabins on a lake about 15 miles from the job. There is no phone service, no internet service but we do have cable TV. The pay is good with all the overtime. I do look forward to going home on Saturday night even if I do have to head back Sunday afternoon. As I said, the job has given me new insights about running heavy equipment around large projects. I have gained a newfound respect for the operators as well as the ground men and laborers (yes, I am spending my share of time with my hands wrapped around a shovel handle too). I have also had an opportunity to run a full sized excavator and a dozer, both of which have been on my bucket list. It has been a difficult, fun, interesting project but damn I wish it would warm up! Tim

Replies8
  1. #1Tiny2014-02-03 03:17

    I think you have done OK if your still there . They would have run you off already if you couldn't keep up . Good luck and keep learning

  2. #2Wolf2014-02-15 14:21

    Awesome post, Tim. Gives a lot of insight into what you have been going through. Cabin on the lake sounds pretty nice, but I bet they don't give you much time to enjoy it. All the best and get ready for some demo, bro.

  3. #3markshr1512014-02-16 22:03

    Any worker that shows up on time every time is 90% qualified .

  4. #4Acivil2014-02-17 20:27

    You show up and don't complain about long hours... there are many highly skilled operators who could learn a thing or two about virtue. Operating skills are a lot easier to cultivate than positive character traits, like being able to look over at another person performing a task, and acknowledge to yourself and an internet forum with 30k members that the other guy is better at it than you. With that attitude I would imagine you could hold a job at most companies. :salute:notworthy

  5. #5RTSmith2014-02-20 17:39

    Sounds like you are doing well. Congrats. Yeah- I piddle at the farm with a dozer. I quickly learned that I am a dozer driver, not an operator.....Learning, but the more I do, the more I see I don't know. Dang- like a lot of things in life I reckon. Anyway- enjoy yourself. Sounds like fun for a while.

  6. #6kat092014-02-20 22:24

    A wise man told me about the three A's- Attitude,Attendance and Ability. He said two out of the three A's will keep you on most jobs. He also told me to keep doing my job the same way and show up every day, what do you think he was saying about my attitude????? We ended up being good friends.

  7. #7tmc_312014-02-23 11:47

    Hey guys, Thanks for all the encouragement. Well, I was let go a week ago or so. Wouldn't you know it, the weather has warmed up nicely since I left. I am not overly traumatized by being let go from the job as I was looking when I found this one. Now I am looking again. All in all it was a great experience. I really enjoyed operating the equipment and getting to know the other operators on the job. I can't tell you how much I learned. I am looking forward to putting what I learned to work. There are several opportunities closer to home, two wind farms starting up and a pipeline project in the next town over. Tim

  8. #8kshansen2014-02-23 15:20

    Not to get personal but were you let go because the job was done or someones drinking/hunting buddy needed a job. I guess I'm a rare one these days. I started working for a company as "summer help" back in 1968 and after doing that for two years while I was going to community college I went on as full time worker. Started out doing clean-up work shoveling under conveyors and bucket lines and when they decided to start a shop to repair their own equipment I started as a trainee mechanic that was in 1971. Many changes over the years, mergers and buyouts most not for the good but I have managed to keep working through it all. AS others have said show up and have a good attitude and listen to those who know what they are talking about when you find your next job and you should do fine.