I wanted to ut in some new starter key switches. Four machines all the same key after decades of thinking about it:Banghead. I was looking for something like Hobbs keys not a CAT key where they are all the same. I can't find a dealer for Hobbs product when I Google. Any suggestion on durable key switches where they are not all the same is appreciated. Hobbs has 300 different keys. thanks for the help I'll continue to try my skills at Google. Hobbs site doesn't give a search for dealers.
Are you looking for four switches that don't use the same key? Or possibly four switches that use the same key but are a weird key that someone else wouldn't have to steal your machine?
four of the same key. I guess if you are into stealing heavy equipment the key won't stop them. I do want to be able to have a cut off switch for the injection pumps on the deere motors. Any idea of a decent dependable in line switch for that purpose? I guess I need to put it where I can get to it easy but still cause a thieve trouble. Doubt they will steal the relics but I don't want to give them use of it if they are stealing scaffold and plank!:Banghead thinks
This is a common universal switch that I have used many times, uses a Pollak key. Depends on size of hole your working with though. Your local autoparts should have a Standard Ignition or BWD catalog that you could look through and find a suitable replacement switch. Two types of switches that use a common key are the Pollak key and Cole Hersee key. http://pollak.thomasnet.com/viewitems/switches-starter-switches/ignition-starter-switches?&forward=1
Sorry, I said Cole Hersee key switch. I meant to say Hencol key switch. Cole Hersee is one of the brands that make a Hencol key switch. See switch type C at link below, that's a Hencol key. http://www.elecdirect.com/Data/ProductPDFs/CHc2.pdf
I have standard now but it short time one key fits all You go up and wiggle a similar key and they work. I try to just keep a few on the work ring as to not have all the weight swinging on the key barrel. Are the Pollack keys different or all the same like a CAT?
The Pollak key as well as the Hencol key are all the same. The Pollak key will fit any Pollak type switch, the Hencol will fit any Hencol type switch. But a number of equipment manufacturers used these type keyswitches, so it's possible someone else could have a key to fit your machine, they are very common. But these type switches are readily available from a local parts supplier instead of an OEM switch, shouldn't cost you a bunch of money to change them out.
http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/hss/hobbscorp/catkey3.asp they make 300 different keys I'll have to call to find as retailer. Double sided key also.
I worked at a place that had metal covers made and installed over the key switches... the boss would unlock the padlock every morning....
after having the radiator and tranny cooler ripped out I am making a rolling armored cars out of these machines.
I have ground disconnect swithes on all my equipment in places that are not visible but still accessable to those that know where they are. Doesn't save tranny coolers, etc., but does protect the machine or vehicle from theft. It also ensures a strong battery in cold weather.
Do you mean on the main battery cable or just the key switch or injection pump? I appreciate any ideas!
A couple of years I ago I put in a new ignition switch on my Gradall. Just went to NAPA and found one that would work in the hole in the dash. I don't know if the keys all are the same or not. It's getting the same way, I can take an old Bobcat key and wiggle it to start it. As far as battery disconnects, I am a firm believer. All my Cat equipment has them. It may not stop a thief but it may stop a joy riding kid who happens to have a Cat, Deere, etc key. I bought the Cat style disconnects, so we would have one key, and installed them on some other equipment. Not fool proof but an extra layer of protection. The type of disconnects I have just kill all power coming from the batteries.
Yes, on the main battery cable. You just re-route your ground cable to where you want the switch, install the switch and then carry on with the ground cable to where it was before. When the switch is flipped you have no ground hence no power anywhere on the machine. It also eliminates any type battery drain overnight or any time the equipment sits for awhile.
thanks for the info I had a battery disconnect at the battery terminals but they gave me problems I think. How small are the battery switches? Are they like a race car size or marine battery switch? thanks
I bought my 87 Ford LTL9000 a couple years ago. It was bought brand new by Eastern Lift truck Company of Maple Shade New Jersey. It has a "blue button" under the dash next to the steering column. That switch disables the truck. In addition to that, there's a non-descript button under the hood on the firewall that also disables the truck. Either or both switched off, and it won't start. Looks like they don't sell Lulls but you might check out their lowboy tractors for a couple ideas
Have you looked at cole hersee? --- Get your heavy equipment at municibid.com http://www.municibid.com
They are about 3" diameter and about the same deep. They have two posts on the back. 3/8" I think. Don't know what they use on race cars.
Hi speedpup, Battery disconnect switches come in various sizes and configurations. But some of the small disconnect switches aren't rated at high amps. To start those cold diesel engines, I'd say you want one with at least 300 amp rating, even more would be better.
thanks guys for the tips any ideas where to buy them or manufactures to search? thanks:drinkup was just looking and many are not near 300 amp then they have surge/momentary and continuous rating. iwas looking and see some with keys any good http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/hot_feed/D-618_MasterDisconnect.pdf
http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/D-275-1sectionJ.pdf 2484-03 with key and o-ring seal?
Kid with a cat or case key? Hello., What do you mean by "Kid with a Cat or Case key going joy riding? What is wrong with that? Oh, wait, you mean the ones who do not work there. :tong :drinkup
I've used the Cat master disconnect switches for years. You can install them on either the hot or ground side battery cables, which ever is the easiest. While the key is pretty common we would always put the switch behind a locked door, latch lock or pad lock. Installing new ignition key switches can be a pain in that not all the wiring harnesses are compatible. Some are four wire, five wire or six wire with some needing harness connectors and other using the bolt in lugs. Next you have to figure out your wiring and then hope there isn't an electronic do dad that has to be wired on the ground side. At any rate all locks do is keep honest people honest. If someone wants the machine bad enough, they will get it. A long time ago we toyed with wiring in a claymore mine to the seat cushion. The boss laughed like hell for a couple of minutes, then wondered if we knew where to get one from. You might put a sign to that affect on the machine.
no electronics on these machines
Kill Switch. Hello. I waz thinkin'. Know how the kill switch on a jet ski works? a magnet and holder, or something that holds the switch in place. I like the magnet idea, here is why. What if one installed a hall effect sensor near the ignition switch. Now, you must have a magnet of the correct polarity direction on your keychain. Both the hall effect switch and the magnet are very easy to come by. The first is the sensor for a door, alarm, high current, under $5. The second is the magnet, I get mine free from the scrap yard I frequent. http://www.adamsmagnetic.com/d_pocket.php A high current reed switch would also work, $7. The switches are totally sealed except for the screws and so are unaffected by moisture. A reed switch would work with any magnet polarity.
I'll check it out thanks!:drinkup
Write Won't Start on a Scrap of Cardboard with a Sharpie.
Thieves usually can't or don't bother reading, you know like no trespassing.
Take the radiator home with you.
bear traps.... check once a month
I looped the systems so now I just said the hell with it who needs them. I was glad to get it running and into my storage container yesterday.