Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Komatsu dozer,the D51ex

equipment fan · 2007-03-12 20:22

Komatsu have made a concept and it will be introduced at Bauma 2007.I can`t post my pictures of this dozer because they are too large and the forum dont accept it Well,if anybody have small pic of the d51ex,post it!!

Replies79
  1. #1CM19952007-03-12 20:31

    Is it a oval or a high-track?:spongebob :falldownlaugh :falldownlaugh Sorry guys I couldn't help it. ointhead Can't have a discussion about a dozer without this coming up so I just beat everyone to the punch.

  2. #2biggixxerjim2007-03-12 20:51

    Resize it!!!!! I wanna see!!! Right click on the image, go to Edit at top of screen in toolbar, go to Attributes, Stretch and sKew change the size of the pic. Then save

  3. #3Countryboy2007-03-12 21:02

    Here's a couple I found: link

  4. #4tylermckee2007-03-12 21:23

    Its got a cute little nose

  5. #5Lashlander2007-03-12 21:36

    Kind of a cool lookin dozer. What is that thing on the back? Looks like it comes with a fanny pack.

  6. #6Countryboy2007-03-12 21:55

    A fanny pack........:lmao Its a place to hide the grade stakes after you run them over.

  7. #7rino14942007-03-12 22:30

    Looks like you sit up towards the front pretty good. Might help seeing the corners of the blade. I like it.

  8. #8machineman2007-03-12 22:56

    Looks sweet.... Plenty of visability. How many HP?

  9. #9Countryboy2007-03-12 23:07

    I don't know any specs. The site I found those pictures on was in ........ not English. The specs are on that page but I just can't translate it. The link to the page is below the photos in the post above or you can get to it here .

  10. #10farm_boy2007-03-12 23:20

    CB....I can make about as much out on that site as you can....be I did see 97kw which is 130 hp. It would be a D6K-D6N size machine. Interesting concept. I would like to see how the balance of the machine is. It looks like to me that with the cab so far forward it might be a little nose heavy. It appears to have awesome visibility to the blade though. The track on the ground looks pretty long too. Thanks for the pictures CB!! This ones for you :drinkup

  11. #11JBL2007-03-12 23:22

    Looks like they moved the radiator to the rear of the machine and that is the fan?

  12. #12farm_boy2007-03-12 23:24

    I looked at this some more and I have a new theory....because the nose is so small the engine rad can't be in the front. Because the rear opens up like it does and there are perforated side panels....I would bet a dollar to a donut that the cooling package for the machine is under the operator's station.:jawdrop What will those crafty little engineers over in Japan think up next??:beatsme

  13. #13Countryboy2007-03-12 23:26

    Yeah, we know somebody who will like the better visibility of the blade.......especially since it is Komatsu. Oddly enough, those were the only ones I could find. :beatsme

  14. #14farm_boy2007-03-12 23:26

    JBL....:cussing you beat me to it!! Nice work:notworthy

  15. #15JBL2007-03-12 23:26

    Your reading my mind farmboy. :notworthy

  16. #16biggixxerjim2007-03-12 23:54

    Man that things ugly!!!! But I bet you have awesome visibility of the blade..

  17. #17alan627b2007-03-13 01:17

    Engine up front, radiator in the back, wonder if the operator's behind might get a tad warm? HMMM, did some body say..... TEREX? Isn't that special. Seriously, I'll bet the front visibility is good. alan627b

  18. #18Lashlander2007-03-13 02:55

    I've got a lot of time on those Terex Dozers. I don't think I want to regress.:spaz

  19. #19equipment fan2007-03-13 07:09

    Hey country boy,you have found my pictures that i would post.

  20. #20Tigerotor77W2007-03-13 08:25

    That was my immediate reaction as well. Interesting. Should be a fun mix now that Komatsu and Cat both have a brand new product in that size class. Shows how well Deere did with the 700H and J, I might add...

  21. #21Wulf2007-03-13 08:27

    LOL...

  22. #22CM19952007-03-13 09:41

    It's interesting in design - I bet the blade visablity is awsome. On the other hand it looks like a mechanics worst nightmare. Your going to have to pull the cab off to get to its guts to work on them. ointhead I agree with big jim that thing IS ugly.

  23. #23Tigerotor77W2007-03-13 12:32

    First -- JBL, you were the first person to bring up the rear radiator -- didn't mean to pick favorites by quoting farm_boy. My bet would be that the cab tips. And ugly, perhaps, but in the end it's all about the machine making money, right? (no offense or "Looks mean nothing" here -- just saying that if the thing can perform as amazing as it looks weird, Komatsu has a winner -- and probably more up its sleeve)

  24. #24Scott_5272007-03-13 15:28

    It has a really foreign look too it, reminds me of a lot of asian compact cars. Cool idea though.

  25. #25Hjolli2007-03-13 17:57

    From what I can understand from this German website is that it has hydrostatic transmission (like the new CatD6K of course), 130 hp and 13 tons (metric). It looks like it also has oscillating track frames, well at least the new Cat has. A neat design. Hjolli

  26. #26Countryboy2007-03-13 18:11

    Thanks for the translation Hjolli. I'm not really up on my German.

  27. #27equipment fan2007-03-13 18:26

    Hey countryboy,you have take the pic on Bauforum,mee too,but they are too large to post it! :notworthy for you countryboy, Guillaume alias equipment fan

  28. #28Countryboy2007-03-13 18:47

    You must of done something different as I didn't have to adjust anything to post them. I saved them to "My Documents", went to "Manage Attachments" on HEF, found them in "My Documents" by clicking "Browse" and then uploaded them. Didn't have to change a thing.....:beatsme

  29. #29equipment fan2007-03-13 19:06

    Hi country boy,thanks to reply.I dont know why but the forum dont accept it.

  30. #30Mass-X2007-03-14 00:02

    Interesting concept. The bracket/brace that holds the blade looks different than the other Komatsu 6-way dozer blades. Does anyone know if they redesigned it? All the Komatsu dozers I've been in with >2,500 hours were very loose. There was a lot of slop in the blade which made it hard to grade. Hopefully they changed the design so it'll stay tighter longer. Adding weight would be nice as well.

  31. #31Dozer5752007-03-14 20:52

    Totally ugly. I am against putting the operator forward like, that especially if you do clearing. All they have to do is, do like the D8K's and D9H's which seem to still command a very high $ amount as a used metal fatiqued 30 year old machine. I wonder which manufacture will end up making the only good dozer? Maybe JD or Case? Looks like the other 2 will just goof things up.

  32. #32345cl2007-03-14 21:04

    :drinkup thats the best one i heard yet!!!! lololol

  33. #33stumpjumper832007-03-17 19:57

    look someone put tracks and a blade on a vw beetle... :drinkup :drinkup <-- engineers

  34. #34Tigerotor77W2007-03-18 19:07

    To be fair, engineers are almost always told by marketing research (and here, I'd be willing to bet that a TON was conducted) what is necessary, and usually it's not good enough for the marketing boys.

  35. #35Wulf2007-03-18 20:26

    You are right Tigerotor... the cab position and the sloped nose is designed to optimize visibility to the power angle tilt blade. A few people have already commented that the visibility looks good well you can see a hell of a lot of the bottom and top of the blade on this machine.

  36. #36Tigerotor77W2007-03-20 16:38

    :naughty Note: the following is entirely hypothetical! I just had a sudden (scary for me) thought -- I won't put money on it, but seeing how bet-ful I am today, I'd bet that this model is the first in a series of dozers... and the next three dozers to bear the D51's design will be the D... 31, 37, and 39. They might not be called the D31-D39 anymore, but it makes sense -- the D51 meets Tier III for the >100 HP class; the next Tier III implementation is 2008, when products <100 horsepower will have to comply. The products still have a four-sided cab and aren't really getting a huge piece of the market. The D51 is in a similar position -- most people probably buy the D5N, and a bunch have flocked to the 700H or 700J (leaving the Komatsu pie kinda dry). The D51 would therefore be both a logical, low-risk, and necessary (because of emissions) point of upgrade. Since it wouldn't be too hard to put the same cab on other machines, and the next emissions update is for lower HP rather than higher, my guess is that we'll be seeing this snub-nosed pusher quite a bit next year -- I'm referring specfically to ConExpo. And I already betted that Volvo and Komatsu are going to team up to build a dozer, so who's to say that their first anti-Cat product won't be a JV (joint-venture) for small dozers? Of course the Volvo-Komatsu JV would be more beneficial for Volvo perhaps on larger machines, but two players (I think) dominate the small hystat market. [One runs like nothing else, and the other one purrs.] It wouldn't take much to design a product that kicks those two in the butt -- and splitting the design costs between two companies... hmm... sounds less risky and more profitable! The question is, what transmission will power these guys? Volvo's hybrid technology has been demonstrated a few times, and recently on Mack trucks, so they'd be stupid to let it all go to on-highway development and leave the off-highway stuff in the dust. *puts on aluminum hat* To summarize all this: 1) The D51 design will show up again, namely, in the form of the D31, D37, and D39. 2) Volvo and Komatsu are working together -- probably designing the D31, D37, and D39. 3) Novel transmission design for the new machines, or perhaps for future machines in this alleged JV. PS -- both this and the Volvo post are completely hearsay and of my own wanderings -- I have no sources and made this up as theory . If it's all wrong, so be it -- but man, this has got my wheels turning like crazy! PPS: the Volvo-Komatsu stuff wasn't completely random; they are planning to work together. See: http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2006/11/17/afx3184090.html

  37. #37Dozer5752007-03-23 00:37

    They could save developement money by just putting tracks and a blade on a fork lift. And again the older machinery will go higher in price, since it will be found these new toys don't do what the purchaser wants them to.

  38. #38Countryboy2007-03-23 00:41

    Your talking about Komatsu right........:crazy

  39. #39Dozer5752007-03-23 11:22

    Yes I'm talking about that goofy looking Komatsu. I don't care what brand it is. If the design department goofs up a good looking machine, I'll talk bad about it. The improvements they need to do are smiple. They don't have to redesign the whole machine to accomplish them. Just like CAT did with the high drives. I would like to know why these places have to keep going back in time for their latest and greatest new stuff. Euclid dozers never became too popular, maybe because they where such an eye sore. This latest rendering looks like a mini Euclid. Just like all the new cats look like a cletrac failure. What needs to happen is the design team needs to get out and operate for awhile. If they had some vine maple experience, they would soon realize you want the operator way in the rear.

  40. #40Tigerotor77W2007-03-23 11:43

    True, perhaps, but maybe veteran operators want to get in the seat for an eight-hour shift and see if they're converted. You'd think that with motor graders being designed with rows of levers for forty-some years, that the M-series would be an ACERT engine and more productivity. Old operators whined and moaned (and boy, did they) until they actually sat in the seat. Then... they were all converted. Applying the concept of a different cab location may be different going from levers to joysticks, but it isn't always the design team needs stick time. I do agree, however, in the big picture -- most engineers lack the feel for what machines should feel like to operate. I just don't feel that it's late enough to rule the D51 a failure. It's not even in full production yet!

  41. #41Dozer5752007-03-23 11:52

    The old lever steering in a 46A is quicker than the hystat or diff steer. And during a hard push the newer ones have no advantage, cause the track will still slip till you unload the blade some. Yeah the old stuff is more work at times, but has its advantages at times too. I would not want to be on high rock with a hystat or diff steer, or cutting a narrow road/path on the side of a steep mountain side with one either. I'd rather chance the trans pump cavitation on the old one. Yeah fun stuff.

  42. #42Steve Frazier2007-03-23 12:24

    Are we expected to believe that equipment purchases are made based on the machine's appearance??? It sure sounds like that's what you are saying here. You don't suppose reliability and production play a part, do you? Perhaps cost is a factor??? Here's a thought: What about ease of operation? I think Euclid's problem was the trouble plagued Detroit Diesels that powered them more than likely.

  43. #43Wulf2007-03-23 20:50

    The motor is mounted conventionally low in the front of the machine its the radiator and fan/fan motor that are at the back. This gives superb visibility and makes for a quieter machine as the noise can be projected out the back rather than against the blade. It gives a slightly 'unconventional' look but there is no harm in that in my opinion and its certainly no Pontiac Aztek.

  44. #44Tigerotor77W2007-08-20 23:01

    One operator's review: http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA6466792.html?nid=2443

  45. #45lgammon2007-08-21 00:22

    just read that review before i logged on. i think that it may not be what we are used to seeing, but the rear engine loaders looked strange when they came out, but know nobody wants to get stuck running the 941b for us now

  46. #46Cat4202007-08-23 13:19

    I drove past PBE's Pine Bush Ny location and they have a new D51ex on their dirt pile in the yard. I didn't ask, but I'm sure it's there for demo if you're a local company. Anyone curious should give them a call.

  47. #47biggixxerjim2007-08-23 15:29

    Huh?? How so??

  48. #48Deas Plant2007-08-24 08:36

    Professional 'knocker' Hi, Folks. Some thoughts on the debate to date. One poster here - no names, no pack drill - has raised the point that this little jigger is not suited to clearing due to having the cab too far forward. How perceptive of this gentleman to notice that. Did he also notice that it has a 6-way blade on it? And does he realise that this blade system is not quite the thing you would want to take into a heavy clearing operation, say in a redwood forest? It occurs to me that this machine has been specifically designed with finish dozing in mind, an application that seems to be gaining increasing popularity in the earth-moving industry. There has also been some adverse comment about the machine being hydrostatic drive. Now everybody is entitled to their own opinion about the different drive systems but I've come to like the Cat and JD hydrostatic drives and I've taken them pretty much anywhere I'd take a powershift transmission. AND, the steering is MORE positive than clutch-and-brake steering, especially when travelling up or downhill under load. Quote from the Number One Knocker: "The old lever steering in a 46A is quicker than the hystat or diff steer." Unquote. Here too I beg to differ. Yes, the 46A steering IS quicker than the diff steering but it AIN'T quicker than the hydrostatic system. I have found the hydrostatic machines that I have operated, both Cat and JD, to be VERY responsive in that department. Quote from the Number One Knocker: "If the design department goofs up a good looking machine, I'll talk bad about it." Unquote. Good looking machine? I vaguely remember one or two good looking machines in the past that didn't perform worth a d**n. Also, I don't care what anybody else thought of them, the Euclid dozers both could and did work. O.K., so they didn't look like 'everybody's' idea of what a dozer ought to look like but they did work and they did last. I too suspect that the 'Driptroit' Diesels were one of the reasons for their demise. In case you don't remember, Allis Chalmers also used them in their early days but got out of them and started using Buda engines, which made a better dozer out of them. Good looking machine? Well, I don't have much of a sense of style when it comes to machine or vehicle design but I quite like the look of that little jigger. And, if you really want to talk about looks, I'd like to see that cab with a forward-sloping windscreen and forward-outward-sloping doors to reduce reflections, all-same most graders these days. I'd like to suggest that any adverse comments about the designers 'goofing up' be held in abeyance until the end users/consumers have had their say. I won't be terribly surprised if this jigger turns out to be a winner. Just like the M series Cat graders, I'd like to get my ample butt in one for a couple of hours, doing a bit of bulk pushing and a bit of finish work. Just my 0.02.

  49. #49Cat4202007-09-04 22:00

    Well I don't know if this is technically on topic or not, but here it is anyway We recently rented a cousin of the D51ex to do a final grade. We got a newer D31EX with under 500 hours. It doesn't have the odd looks of the larger model, but I believe it has the same hydrostatic transmission and controls. I only have about 3 hours on any dozer and this thing was so easy to get use to, it felt like cheating. Not that I didn't bounce it around a little a first, but you pick it up quick. The variable speed mode is really easy to use with the buttons on the left joystick. You could also set it to bump up or down over three preset speed ranges, which basically work like gears on a standard machine. Each mode has it's place depending on what you're doing. Sometimes I liked to use the speed between 1 and 2 and the gauge showed exactly where you had it set in plain view. Other times I wanted to push in 2 and back up in 3 and a quick stab at the buttons made a seamless speed change with no jerking of hesitation. The blade control was very sensitive and the hydraulics were very fast. It would react as fast as your brain could handle the changes in ground conditions. Several times I backed over a rock in 2 or 3 on the speed range while backdragging and was able to keep the blade flat on the ground. I could also do the same going forward at a pretty good clip. Power was never lacking and we had some hard, dry clay to level off. It only burned about a gallon an hour, which wasn't too bad considering you had to set the throttle kind of high for the hydrostatic system to work right. There is no doubt that the hydrostatic transmission is very responsive. Being new to dozers in general and these controls specifically, I gave myself a bit of a workout while getting used to everything. Nothing to serious, but if you yank the joystick, the dozer does exactly what you say no matter how harsh the effect on the blob of meat in the seat. Where it really shined was while moving with dirt in front of the blade. I managed to carry a fair amount of dirt around the corner of the house. It felt stable on the mild slopes for part of the job, but only had the 16" tracks, I'm sure the 24" would be even better. It was never too uncomfortable for me and I don't have much time on dozers, so more seasoned operators probably wouldn't even blink on some extreme stuff. The little dozer (15k lbs) was rated at 75hp and did everything I asked of it, so I can only imagine the power of the 51EX. Visibility was good enough for me, but I would still give the 51 a try just for kicks. Here's some pictures. The sweeps and cage were a nice feature that I wasn't counting on, but came it handy a few times. Sorry about the quality, I only had my phone.

  50. #50Deas Plant2007-09-05 05:56

    Thanks, Cat 420. Hi, Cat 420. Thanks for the photos and the comments. Both shed a little light on the subject of this thread, although it would still be nice to have some first-hand dirt-under-the-fingernails experience to really know what the new 51ex is like. Funny thing is, the main knocker hasn't been heard from in about a couple of weeks now. Let peace reign supreme. Thanks again.

  51. #51tylermckee2007-09-05 23:54

    I like the looks of the new dozer, just because it looks functional. only dozer i have ever seen that gives you such a good view of the entire blade. And the smaller details like flat glass as to not distort your view, hiding the exhaust behind a blindspot you already have. I wouldnt mind getting some seat time in this dozer

  52. #52Tn Bulldog2007-09-09 14:09

    what isthat tilted up in the back ? is the radator in the back of this D51 Like Terex/ Euclid ? :beatsme later Bulldog

  53. #53alco2007-09-09 16:18

    I know I have never been a big fan or proponent of Komatsu iron, but I have to say I would honestly love to give this little critter a try. While I may not be a big fan of other Komatsu dozers, I won't let my previous impressions steer me away from giving any machine a chance. It looks to me like it would be a fine little machine for grading, but I don't think I should apply any predjudice to it based on other experiences from the past that have nothing to do with this machine. And for those who do not care for the looks, you don't have to. It isn't how a machine looks that makes it run the way you want it to. Personally, I don't care what it looks like, it's how it does the job that counts to me. Brian

  54. #54bordercollie2007-09-19 20:26

    cooling package (inter-cooler, radiator and oil cooler) mounted in the rear. Hydraulic reversible fan, grill assembly hinges upward. cab does not tip, must be removed has pretty big openings underneath for maintenance. hood assy comes off pretty quick but one will need a hoist, the sheet metal on these machines is not thin stuff anymore. steering control is electric over hydraulic. (proportional solenoid valves) brush sweeps and a winch are available open ROPS is also available. machine is whisper quiet blade to blade against the JD 700J this thing burried the 700J blade visibility is uncomparable to anything on the market, it is amazing how do i know this stuff you may be asking, I just attended a mfgr's maintenance, testing and adjusting class on it

  55. #55Countryboy2007-09-19 22:25

    Welcome to HEF bordercollie! :drinkup

  56. #56Tigerotor77W2007-09-20 08:48

    Was there a Cat D6K there?

  57. #57bordercollie2007-09-20 16:47

    no, there was not a Cat to compare against. This will be the replacement for the D41-6 models. It has a 6.7 litre engine common rail high psi fuel system. (Cummins new B series engine) The machine has a very stable feel to it and all operator inputs are very responsive, blade control and transmission control are very smooth and predictable. Blade pivot ball has been improved from previous model dozers.

  58. #58Wulf2007-12-08 13:46

    X-Ray Specs... For anyone that was curious what was under that "cute little nose"

  59. #59bobcat ron2007-12-08 17:48

    Major jow COG.

  60. #60pushkid842007-12-08 20:57

    im sorry to say but i just dont like the kamotsu dozer at all or the new jd or case anything especially dozers! cat has the corner on the market:usa

  61. #61MUDSLINGERS2008-03-03 17:44

    My company just bought me one and it is an awsome finish dozer radiator and oil cooler systems are in back so you can see more out the front! No blind spots even the exhaust pipe is hidden behind the door frame so it's not a blind spot.

  62. #62farm_boy2008-03-03 23:17

    Funny quote given your avatar!!:cool2 Isn't that a Deere dozer there??

  63. #63Deereman2008-03-04 16:08

    I've seen the D51 and the 700j side by side and the D51 did nothing along the lines of burring the 700!! For it to have 15 more horsepower it still could barely push as much. We had a customer have both machines on demo and all had good things to say about the D51 and liked it but Deere had been making hydrostatics a whole lot longer;just as much power, resale and undercarriage. Deere pretty much set the standard high and everybody else is just now getting in the game. Komatsu makes a good hoe but care nothing for there dozers.

  64. #64ZX8502008-03-05 18:15

    D51 vs 700 vs D6K I have to say that I have run all three of these machines performing in a relatively compact area cutting a drainage ditch at the bottom of a hill and moving the material up the hill between fence posts spaced at 8'. By far....the best machine across the board for this project was the 700J. Across the board refers to balance maneuverability hyd blade speed and transmission controllability. The Komatsu, while great visibility to the blade, I would wager that there is better visibility out of the back of a D11 than there is out of the back of the 51. I can confirm that I had no better than a 7' blind spot behind the machine...without a ripper! Also the blade was SLOW SLOW SLOW.....to compare to Deere you couldn't run the machine above the Deere 1.6 setting and have the blade keep up. Blade speed was critical to what I was doing since I was cutting and carrying the material in an S patter from downhill to uphill around the fence posts that were in place. Also there was not smooth shifting from high to low range, even though I really couldn't do it and grade, very jerky and abrupt...worse than forcing a direct drive between gears. Cab was quiet and comfortable...but I wouldn't trade that for the low productivity of the machine. Some things I noticed....not really well balanced even though the cab was moved forward on the unit....cast c-frame NOT GOOD if you are planning on doing any clearing or side loading the blade.....smaller than Deere or Cat pins in the c-frame and blade...typical for Komatsu to keep things price competitive. The machine that I ran had about 350 hours on it and already there were dry pins on the undercarriage too...don't know if the machine had a bad chain or what. As far as the Cat, it was better balanced than a D5N and more controllable but stalled in a turn and was sluggish compared to both the Deere and the Komatsu. The electric over hydraulic blade control on the Cat was near impossible to meter and control....making the S pattern I was trying to carry difficult. The Cat did ok in a push but the Komatsu out pushed everyone in straight line....fell on its face in a turn (not sure why?). Overall the Deere had the best performance with little complaint....fastest machine I could grade with (in 2.5+) and have smooth control of the blade Cat came in 2nd on this but blade was jerky......Komatsu came in 4th...yep 4th and I only ran 3 . Overall while I have ran several finish dozers and build several parking lots and building pads with them I have to say that I would stick with a 700 for balance power speed and response. Just my thoughts

  65. #65MUDSLINGERS2008-03-06 17:01

    Yes the cooling system is in the back and it is the best finish dozer I have found!! YOU CAN SEE EVERYTHING!!! Don't knock it till you try it for yourself!! You can see alot and it is very well balanced, believe it or not!!

  66. #66Geno7952008-03-06 19:59

    Ask guys who install GPS/Laser (such as Leica, TopCon, etc) systems on dozers and they will always tell you the Deere machines have the best hydraulics and Komatsu the most sluggish. With a Deere 700J there is a contractor in central IL who grades wide open full throttle on the finish pass and the hydraulics keep up with his Leica automatic grade control system. He has a Komatsu also. Komatsu hyds to slow. He has tried a Cat D5N and it jerks too much shifting from 1st to 3rd and back down at end of pass. This is what he feels make the hydrostatic machines better for finish grading, no matter what brand. Geno

  67. #67counter2009-07-27 19:41

    great pics country boy!i really think this is a great looking dozer!add to that the cab forward visibility,cooling to the rear. i hope this design really takes off for komatsu.likely it will have some design flaws just like any other new concept. and that will give the komatsu bashers something to write about,haha. it will be quite interesting to watch it un-viel!

  68. #68counter2009-07-27 19:44

    great to hear mud, lucky you to have been able to try one out!!!!!!!

  69. #69counter2009-07-27 19:49

    cat has the corner? many of the respondents here say deere, komatsu, and mitsu. do a very good job in producing a very good smaller dozer!

  70. #70counter2009-07-27 20:02

    in regards to steering i keep seeing coments in regards to steering.from an outsider lookin in, the concept of each track bein seperately controlled like the big terex ,or the little" struck" dozer make sense to me! spin on a dime seems right, or maybe that kind of accesss trashes the undercarriage. that too would make sense! would appriciate a reply from anyone on this!

  71. #71bigbob2009-07-28 17:50

    Translated: On questions regarding D51EX will stand personnel must be set up by Komatsu, one has Dozer with the new design but entrenched ways to leave. We will appear with the new cooler arrangement a step in the right direction to have been. Striking at the D51EX/PX-22 is an innovative design with an extremely flattened hood. This is according to the manufacturer's specifications for the first bulldozer around the world, the cabin in full view of the entire width of the plate on the top and back of the cutting edges offers. This design allows the driver a good view of the work area, located in the immediate vicinity of the shield is located, allowing a faster and more secure work in many areas in which good vision is essential. In addition, there are cooler and the cooler fan in the rear of the machine, so that in front of the machine no dust can be raised, which could impair vision. The ROPS-FOPS cabin is further forward than in the appropriate models and is thus closer to the machine axis, where the machine movements are lowest. It also protects the storage cabin subdued the driver from vibration and thus provides greater operator comfort and interior noise level of 76 dB. The ECOT3 low-emission engine with common rail direct injection, the hydrostatic drive and the electronically controlled CLSS hydraulic system D51EX/PX-22 according to the manufacturer's specifications for the fuel-efficient and powerful machine in its class. The machine is optional from the factory with Topcon machine control system available. Komtrax the Komatsu Tracking System, is pleased to standard equipment. The machine can bauma (outdoor F5/F6) can be viewed. Motorleistung @ 2200 rpm 97 kW / 132 PS Betriebsgewicht 12.500 - 13.100 kg Schildkapazität 2.65 - 2.9 m³ (Photos: Komatsu) The article was edited by Bauforum24 am 19.02.07 - 16:01 clock.

  72. #72Galute2009-09-16 11:46

    I have almost 800 hours on a new D51 doing everything from heavy pushing to fine grading and tight spots. Here are my opinions of it for those that wonder. The visability is great however I would trade it for some weight on the front in a heartbeat. The blade for the machine size is dinky and light weight. My machine does not have any rear attatchments on it and I can only imagine if it did you wouldn't be able to keep the front of the tracks on the ground while pushing. To me it is off balance and heavy to the rear. Not good for a machine that does all its work on the front. The visability is useless. I dont need to see that blade that much to know where it is. It is comfortable with plenty of room in the cab. The AC will freeze you to death but needs more control. It's either freeze or fry. I constantly have to turn the temp control up or down, there is no just right setting. The sterio is marginal at best. The hydrostat steer works good and it is very manuverable. However that is just a catch up with JD and Cat. Nothing groundbreaking there. The hydraulics work good but with only 800 hours on it they are starting to show signs of gettin sloppy and jerky. It needs a system to allow more input and adjustments from the operator like the JD total control system. For it's size it is too short coupled. Very rough riding. Will beat you to death in rocky terrain. It's climbing ability is amazing tho. I think it would climb until the thing just rolled over backwards. Spooky at times but it does great on side hills. It feels rock solid and has yet to make me feel like I was pushing my luck with it even while pushing across a slope steep enough for the back end to be sliding down hill some. All in all I think it's a great little finish machine and that is what it does best. But for an all around do it all dozer.... it's just like I tell my boss everytime he ask... give me my 750J back!

  73. #73DoosanFan2009-12-18 13:35

    Cat didn't want to bring the D6K with hydrostatic drives into S.A because they didn't think they'd last, being in Africa and all (apparently if it doesn't last in Africa, it won't last anywhere...), even the M series was two or so years behind, yet Komatsu launched the D51 here early last year, and they have proven to be very popular machines, especially on Highway upgrading projects, where I'd say they are at home pushing fill material and doing finish work. The operators like them too. And my 0.02 cents, I think that they are really cute lil things.

  74. #74stock2009-12-18 18:08

    Interesting observation!

  75. #75DoosanFan2009-12-19 06:36

    Why?

  76. #76CM19952009-12-19 11:28

    And you know this how? Do you work for Cat?

  77. #77DoosanFan2009-12-19 11:57

    Okay, well thats maybe a blind statement, but I have an article on it somewhere. I don't know if you know about this, but Cat has re-innitiated the D6 G , with a tier 2 or 3 engine, oval track version, nothing fancy at all, really going back to basics, for the lesser developed countries of the world, uses clutch and break steering if I'm not mistaken, and they have launched that machine in favour of the D6K, here, in South Africa. India too I think.

  78. #78CM19952009-12-19 12:37

    The D6K is listed on Cats Middle East/ Africa website? Regional markets may be different. Cat has been building D6G's and D7G's for the third world markets for a while, I don't think they ever stopped producing them. I think it has more to do with a cheaper machine for developing markets than anything else.

  79. #79farm_boy2009-12-19 21:26

    They did a good job of updating the looks of this tractor. I bet if this machine was offered in the US there would be a ton of people taking a look at it as a price point tractor. The here is the spec sheet.