Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New loader , having trouble with 50 hr service

Craperpillar ยท 2013-08-17 18:26

Hi everyone! We just purchased a Doosan 250 high reach wheel loader. It calls for grease on all front linkage pins and rear axle . My issue is , NONE of the darn fittings will take grease. I have had this problem with old machinery where the grease hardens in there and wont budge but i have never worked on a bran new machine before. Im sure they need grease considering we work in a very dirty dusty environment and i occasionally dig into water. It is calling for our break-in service after 50 hours. Is there something im not thinking of to accomplish greasing the machine or what??? It feels like theyre blocked. Does it just need to be worked more? Any insight would help. Thanks in advance.

Replies23
  1. #1Scrub Puller2013-08-17 18:48

    Yair . . . Craperpillar . First off I'd say with a new machine this should be the dealers problem. If you have to rectify it yourself first thing I'd do is take out all the fittings and check them for clear, sometimes on a new machine they can be blocked with paint. If they pass grease freely reinstall and pump up pressure on the grease-gun. Have an offsider operate the linkage to get a bit of clearance or movement . . . there may be a position where they'll grease. In the case of back axle pivots you may have to hook the bucket under an immovable object to get the arse end off the ground. Failing that you'll have to dismantle and see where's the problem . . . you do rely need to insure you are getting grease into a brand new machine. Them's my thoughts anyway . . . others may have further suggestions. Cheers.

  2. #2Craperpillar2013-08-17 20:41

    Thanks, i'll look at the fittings Monday and check for paint. If that doesnt work i'll try n grab one of the guys to move the bucket around while i pump . As for the back end, That'll be a fun adventure. Thank you for the tips .

  3. #3robin yates uk2013-08-18 08:05

    tell the dealer, it is their problem not yours.Taking stuff apart while under warranty may invalidate future claims

  4. #4Craperpillar2013-08-18 09:41

    Oh dang. See , this is why i came here for advice! I never even thought of that. I was just too worried about servicing my new baby. I will call the dealer tomorrow and ask about their progress on the screens they're making for us. While dude is out at my shop putting them on the loader i'll have him look at the fittings. When we got it last week, the dash gauges didn't work and the engine compartment screens are way to wide to really catch any fine debris we have flying around. So they have been out once to try and fix the gauges but cant seem to figure out the issue between the ECU and dash. Then they took radiator screens from a bobcat and cut them to "fit" the outer screens. Sadly only one actually fit. So they'll be back. Thank you for pointing that out. That's the last ting i want to do is void our warranty.

  5. #5Nige2013-08-18 09:58

    Here's a novel thought. If the dealer just sold the machine wouldn't greasing it be part of the pre-delivery service before loading it on the lowboy to deliver it to the customer..?

  6. #6caterpillarmech2013-08-18 10:13

    No kidding! Every machine gets greased, all fluids checked and washed before a customer ever sees it at least that is how we do it.

  7. #7Craperpillar2013-08-18 11:17

    I'm sure all fluids were checked and taken care of prior to delivery. They gave us all the filter cartridges and elements to do the service ourselves. IE; oil, hydraulic, fuel, tranny , air (inner & outer) and a few more. I am not sure if it was greased though. It might have been and i might not have the bucket positioned correctly. After they sell the machine it is not their responsibility to do a 50 hour service without a service package purchased from the dealer. That's on us. I personally would have bought a service package for the first few, but it wasn't my decision.

  8. #8Nige2013-08-18 11:20

    and that should also have included greasing if the dealer was anything like they ought to be............if it was greased before despatch from the dealer you should not IMO be having problems getting grease into it at 50 operating hours.

  9. #9mitch5042013-08-18 14:51

    Yeah, I'd be talking to them about this as a warranty issue, not a service.

  10. #10CM19952013-08-18 20:16

    Are you greasing it the first time with 50 hours of operation? Depending on your working conditions you need to grease the bucket pins and linkage daily, more if you have severe service conditions and dust. When I am working limestone 8910 (1/4 to dust) with my T250, I grease the bucket pins twice a day as the the limestone dust destroys grease. If I worked it more than 1-2 days without greasing in these conditions, I will be pounding pins and cleaning the races. Even if the dealer greased the pins on delivery, running it for 50 hours without greasing the bucket pins will cause this problem.

  11. #11mitch5042013-08-19 00:40

    Cm, believe it or not, even Cat reccommends 50 hr grease intervals on some stuff. Course, I agree completely with what you are saying.

  12. #12CM19952013-08-19 07:47

    Yeah, I know and they also say 500 hr on oil change. I change all my yellow iron at 250 hr intervals on oil an filter, 1K on hyd. Bobcats get oil and filter at 100 hrs or so. The 953 and Bobcats get greased daily, D5 every other day, backhoe/trackhoe daily. I have always stuck to this regiment and have had good results.

  13. #13Craperpillar2013-08-19 17:58

    Daily greasing was always a part of my morning routine with all the other equipment they have. This was my first few days running this loader. But I got it this mornin' So all is good now!

  14. #14Nige2013-08-19 18:15

    So your greasing issue is fixed then..?

  15. #15wheelie2013-08-20 20:59

    growing up my Dad said if we did not have the levers in our hands then we should have a wrench or a grease gun in them.. made for some tainted sandwiches ..LOL.. I worked for a great guy that at one time was asked by another logger what he gave his crew off for lunch... Lou said ... one glove

  16. #16Craperpillar2013-08-31 14:39

    Lol, Thats funny Wheelie. Eh, I never worry about gloves at lunch. If a little grease and dirt are the worst things going into my belly , i'm doing alright! But I now think i may have an issue with the A/C in this new Doosan. Maybe im just not use to equipment air conditioning now that i actually have it , I expect it to be a comfortable 40 degrees in there while i am working. Yesterday it was 90 here in Ohio and surprisingly it felt cooler outside than in the cab. I had the air on full blast and it felt pretty warm so made sure to blow out all the filters and the radiator real good. Thought that would fix the air temp . It didnt . We had the company out to replace the ECM due to the rpm tach not working and a oh **** flashing. I wonder if that could have messed with the AC but he put the old ECM back in because the new one wasnt programmed from Doosan when they received it. Am i just getting spoiled ? Or should my AC be cooling me comfortably like i thought it should?

  17. #17ILLICEMAN2013-08-31 16:49

    I have gone to a premium grease so if I miss I will be covered.

  18. #18Craperpillar2013-08-31 17:54

    I use premium grease on all our equipment. Its necessary for the rotor bearings on the horizontal grinder and i figure instead of buying two different cases of grease and one gun hanging on my machine and another in my loader i just use high temp, high impact grease on everything. Cant hurt!

  19. #19wheelie2013-08-31 19:01

    kinda like this.. http://i.imgur.com/gpALGIH.gif I have never had the pleasure of running any equipment that had AC.. but if I did I would expect it to cool me down I think..

  20. #20Craperpillar2013-08-31 22:50

    Ahhh hahaha! I'm blonde but not that dumb!

  21. #21caterpillarmech2013-09-01 06:07

    I know machine a/c is not like your cars or trucks. The standard when I went to school was 20 degrees lower than ambient is acceptable. My systems always are 35 to 40 degrees cooler in operation. Grab a small temp gauge and put it in your vent to see what the output is.

  22. #22Craperpillar2013-09-01 11:50

    Thank you very much Caterpillarmech! Ill do that on Tuesday. It's been several several years since i've had equipment with A/C! Apparently my mech was right , It will spoil me.

  23. #23clintm2013-09-22 14:18

    be careful sometimes the grease that goes in equipment pin and bushings will destroy rotor bearings