what's everyone here think of the new electric log requirments? I know I was looking for a late model dump truck until I seen the new rules. a law requires electric logs installed in all cmv within 2 year from now for all 2000 model or newer trucks. I rarely travel outside the 100mi mark but sometimes do so I guess I'll be lookin for a truck in the 90s now.
Another exemption is if one is required to run logs 8 or less days in 30, then electronic logs are not required. Phew, my trucks are both 89's, and we don't run enough to require electronic logs.
wow that's great oxbow. I didn't see the 8 in 30 rule. my trucks are only like 1 or 2 days in 90 or 120 outside of the 100mi mark required log
I was happy to see that exemption as well. The cost of adding EL , let alone to an older mechanical engine, for the miles that we run would be prohibitive.
The U.K. And I think Europe have been on digital cards for about ten years now. More difficult to "fudge" but it can be done. I'm pleased my little F550 is small enough to dodge the radar pretty good.
The Electronic recorder (Digital Card ) has as already stated been a requirement within the U.K. and Europe for over 10 years, older trucks still use the Tachograph system, the Tacho could be fiddled by electronic interference to a degree, but like most things this action could be traced with the resulting Hand Cuffs put on the offenders if found out, the likes of Scania as an example can have 7 E.C.U's (Computers) fitted with every detail of clutch,brake, gear engine speed, road speed and so on can be down loaded and examined against any detail of the Digital Recorder, any effort to fiddle this recorder "Is Recorded" so its more a case of Abuse than Fudge, the abuse thing done by not sticking to the requirements of Time, Speed and Breaks/Sleep Periods (Not at Work) but if pulled over this information will be found out, the penalty costings vary from Prison to very large Fines, so only the Nutters will think it worth while. tctractors
We all bitch a lot about DOT and the strigent trucking requirements, me included, but when you look at the facts, the number of truck accidents and corresponding safety defective items on trucks have gone way down. I no longer worry much if a truck driver is asleep or awake when one is coming at me on a two lane road at night. I do agree it is a pain in the butt though.
I wouldn't mind it too much if the Hours of Service (HOS) made more sense. The 14 hour rule, having to take 10 hours off, 34 hour resets, 70 hours in 8 days, it is absurd in regard to safety. In my opinion the HOS regulations, if one desires to get all they can out of them, force an individual to drive when tired, and yet not drive when wide awake. Example: Day 1: Start driving at 0800 after performing pre-trip. Drive until 1400, take mandatory 30 minute break, drive remaining time allowed takes you to 1800. Day 2: Start driving after pre-trip at 0430. Drive until 0930, take mandatory 30 minute break, drive remaining hours to 1400. Day 3: Start driving after pre-trip at 0030, drive until 0630, take 30 minute break drive remaining time to 1030. NOW SLEEP FOR 10 HOURS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY? If they would allow 15 hours of driving and on-duty-not driving combined in a 24 hour period, and not penalize one for stopping to take an hour nap when needed, productivity would go up and I believe safety would as well. I'll be damned, if I have been away from the house and family for two weeks, and I run out of hours 60 miles from the house, THAT I WILL STAY THERE FOR 10 HOURS, in the name of safety. I may take a nap if I am drowsy, but I will break the law every time and get home. I'll get off my soap box now, and I apologize for the rant.
Some of the laws today are there to stop stupid. What I mean, is some of these folks that need to be babysat probably should not be driving a rig in the 1st place. I no longer drive rigs and would rather not seeing the crap I see on the highways(my hat is off to those of you that do, and do it with common sense and safety) I can't count the times I've seen someone texting while driving and shoot across lanes or even right off the road, rig drivers included. I've also seen trucking companies more worried about filling quotas instead of worrying about highering safe drivers. With that said maybe there are fewer bad drivers because of some of these laws, but at the same time it only takes one knuckle head to ruin another's life. 90% of these laws are not there so much for safety as they are to generate revenue
You hit that right on the head! I will add that the shippers and receivers should share a fair amount of the blame. It's the dance of hurry up to get there. You arrive on time, Then set four to six hours before you bump the dock. Mean while the clock is ticking on the E-log. You don't make a living setting in a parking lot. And I agree most of State and Fed Dot reg's have made trucking much safer.
Since it is such a great idea how about the requirements are extended to ALL drivers? Do you know what percentage of commercial vehicles involved in accidents with noncommercial are listed as the fault of the noncom? I think the basic safety items should be required to be compliant but some of it has gone too far, for example, if you have a gaggle of chicken lights on your truck and you have a couple out, it can go on your safety score... it shows up as a safety violation, not a broken ornament.
OMB; you bring up a good point, one thing that comes to mind instantly are the 5th wheel campers. Out west they can even pull a large 5th wheel plus hook another trailer to the back of the camper. I always found training classes/lic for cagers(everyday driver/car) was/is a complete joke. I don't feel we need more laws though all they are for is revenue. What we need is a common sense fairy to wave her magical wound. I doubt that will happen so maybe we need better education and more respect on the use of highways??
If you punch in and out at the same location daily and do not fill out a log book more than 8 times in 30 days you are not required to use electronic logs.
Amen, I second that, ditto and so much more!!! Wow, common sense... what a concept. I guess some are in such a hurry to do what they are doing that common sense is lost on them. Respect would go a long way to solve many of society's problems- on the highway and beyond. maddog, I believe your three lines that I quoted are the most profound ever stated on this forum, I bow to you.:notworthy
And for the answer to my question; after many studies by the government, between 72% and 80% of accidents involving commercial vehicles and noncom are the fault of the noncom vehicle and yet the sole focus of regulations is on the trucks. Think about this for a minute; if the goal of legislators/regulators/law enforcement is to eliminate accidents involving commercial vehicles by looking at only that segment on the road they will never succeed, they are ignoring the majority cause of the problem (this comes back to maddog's comment about common sense). So riddle me this: how does the e-log in your truck keep the college student from going NY to Florida nonstop to spring break, falling asleep and crossing the median head-on into your grille?
Was out this weekend on the I40 near Cookeville TN 1100hrs sunday morn. 18 wheeler almost goes completely off the road to the right, swerves back, goes completely over to the median. Luckily no one was near him. Said to my wife as we were going around him(quickly and as safely as possible) bet ya a buck he's texting, sure enough as we pass he's looking straight down texting and not paying any attention to the road. I doubt highly he even noticed us passing him. The driver in my estimate was probably close to his 60's, so I'll assume he knew better. I always have the same question when I see someone playing with their electric toys(texting) while driving..... WHAT THE H377 IS SO DANG IMPORTANT ???
Went by a guy once out west, truck driver a head of me radioed back and said, hey North American(whom I was working for at that time) check out this car pulling the uhaul trailer. As I pulled up next to the car I looked over at the driver, he was out cold seemed to even be snoring. Road was straight and he was going 65+MPH, some day I'm gonna get me one of them thar autopilots