Hello folks, I have been in the construction equipment control industry for 26 years. I have several patents to my name (I invented the ultrasonic tracer sold by Trimble) along with a mountain of other machine control products. My inventions and hard work have helped make some multi-millionaires. None of them happen to be me. I am beginning a new venture, to make (this time) me (and my investors) a lot of money. I feel this is my best idea yet, and I've had a lot of ideas. Right now It's just me, a working prototype and a few patents pending. What I have in mind ultimately, is an entire family of products related to machine control. Will this be as big as GPS?, probably not. Consider though, as an example of one of the products I am about to introduce - A clip-on (like with a magnet) cross slope indicating and/or control system, wireless, self contained/autonomous (no GPS or laser assist needed) dead-on cross slope with NO RESTRICTIONS on motor grader configuration. UNAFFECTED by articulation, circle side shift, hills, cutting depth (go ahead and hog away-to grade!), linkage play - Oh Yea NO SENSORS! and NO CALIBRATION! Weird huh? My initial retail price target is $3,500 to $5,000. The way I see it is that almost all motor graders will someday have this cross slope control - If interested in helping me (us?) get started please email me and I will provide details. You will need to tell me who you are and promise to maintain confidentiality. This is not a spoof or a spam or anything except opportunity knocking. Please don't flame me! I'm sensitive and this is the result of my life's work. I put a bit more information in my BIO. There is way more to me and my accomplishments then I can cram in that little window though. Thank you for reading Chris Mr. Administrator sir. Please don't boot me from the forum. I just want to give people who make a living in construction the chance to invest in a start-up before the venture firms.
Here's the rule: So, you seem to be solidly in compliance, thus far. The fact of the matter is that we like to be a conduit through which new products are introduced to the industry. Spreading information that's of value to our members is why we're here. That's why we've always had the policy of allowing an introductory post. Welcome to HEF, and good luck in your venture.
Sounds like a great idea, love the lack of wires and your outside the box thinking. I read your bio and it's quite impressive, now that you have invented this, your next big venture should be designing a gps system for a road grader without those pesky yellow poles. I've chatted with gps "specialists" and they say it can't be done. I wish you all the best.
Thank you SO much for the kind words, you hold the distinction of being the first person to EVER say my bio is impressive! Of course, I've always thought it was. As for those pesky yellow poles -enough said- I can think of at least 10 possible ways to rid your grader of them, my ten year old daughter thought of a couple promising approaches just this morning on the way to school (Where she comes up with this stuff I really don't know) at any rate, check out this link. It may help explain why your GPS specialist doesn't know about it yet "https://www.google.com/patents/US8478492?dq=gps+2013+non-contact+motor+grader&ei=QyF9Uvv1C4KtiQKshYDIDA&cl=en". It's still too new. BTW, my approach has no "pesky" masts. Think a "chin link fence" 2" high and 2' wide attached to the top of the blade. It really was surprising to me the first time I heard the phrase "think outside the box". I thought it was so sad that first,people actually did that, and second, they had to learn how to not do that. It's impossible no not learn something from every failure - even if it's just "don't ever do that again". So tell me what you would like to have. I might just give it to you.
After thinking a lot, I think a better question may be "If you had a 'good idea, built and demonstrated how well it worked, and then (maybe) used personal credit carts to pay for, and receive a patent giving you protection for the exclusive right sell your invention. but, at the same time, because you spent so much that you didn't know where the next months rent or food will come from, what would you do next?. Where would you go? who would you talk to? Have you ever tried to contact a company about improving their product. Ever made your own product? Any success stories? any failure stories?
I contacted one manufacturer ( Not of gps equipment but for road maintenance equipment) and talked to him about buying the attachment that he sells. After he gave me his sales pitch about why his is better than company 'X" , I gave him my ideas on how I would like make a different attaching bracket for this piece of equipment. I asked him if he had ever thought of this approach and he said no. He flat out told me that if I ever modified his equipment, he would sue the h%^^ out of me. I politely said that I would like to work with him to test this product and that there would definately be a market for this new bracket. "Absolutely not!" was his reply. He then asked for my address ( I had already given him my name) so he would know where to look for this altered bracket. ( so he could drive up with his attorney was my take on it). By this time my blood pressure was starting to climb and I told him that I wasnt interested. His comment was 'Dont bother getting one from 'company x' , we are already sueing him for patent infringement so we are the only one that can make them" and then hung up on me. Thought to myself ' Wow, what customer service' . Later found out that they lost there patent infringement lawsuit. Sorry for the rambling but my point is there are many people out there that think because they can build and sell an item, that it is 'better than sliced bread' and are not willing to listen to their customers. I'm glad that you are reaching out to customers and users for ideas. Sounds like a great idea and hope that it works well for you!
biggrader, After reading your post I had the same thought "Wow". Sorry about your run-in with this guy. I think I may be able to help lower your blood pressure though. Without knowing any of the particulars of the situation I can only offer my general observations. First off, If you bought 'his' bracket it then becomes 'your' bracket. You could weld a cowbell to it use it for a doorbell if you want. Now, if there is a warranty involved just figure you voided it If the METHOD of using his gizmo is patented that may be different, ten minutes of a lawyers time is not very expensive. other than that your free to do whatever you want with it. Even improve it, even apply for a patent on your improvement. When someone (or something) really 'tics me off' I remember that old story called 'Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby'. Or I think of a river with a big boulder in the middle - the just splits, flows around and keeps going, the boulder is stuck. - a couple of observations about people and ideas. I think it's simple human nature to be really proud of something you thought of. I sure am, in fact if I think its really cool my hands start shaking. It used to be, that if someone said something critical (believe me, anything but adulation I considered critical) It made me so angry... I guess a psychologist could figure out why, but I think that that my 'ideas' were somehow 'me' and I would get real defensive. Today, the opposite is true. If someone offers an improvement to something I am thinking about shouldn't I offer 'thank you!'. Just think about it.If an idea I had caused someone else to think about it too, in fact, to think about it to the point where they spotted a potential flaw or improvement? Wonderful! Just think the ego boost alone, if you (the inventor) say to someone who is trying to help "thanks, I hadn't thought of that", is all the 'payment' they may ever want. If the product is successful they can point to their improvement and say "I thought of that part". - I think you really struck a nerve with that guy. Remember a couple of things though. Anyone can scream "I'll Sue" or actually bring suit against anyone for any reason. A little bit of knowledge can go a loooong way toward your ability to just shrug it off. Think about that poor guy, he has(had) a lot invested money and emotion in that product. Patents are expensive, If there was a lawsuit, it was really expensive. Who do you think made out better, him or the lawyers? - One last thing. For anybody reading this. Last April the patent system in the United States COMPLETELY CHANGED!! Instead of a "first to INVENT" system we are a "first to FILE" system. Yep, If you think of a patent-able improvement to a CAT and you are the first to send in an application to the USPTO, then it's yours! It used to be, if you had that very same idea, and you filed for a patent, all CAT would have to do was show that they were working on something similar, and poof, game over. Some really nice changes also came along with the "AMERICA INVENTS!" act that really favors the 'small guy" (yea, our government did that). Visit the USPTO website, they WAN'T you to know about what patents are, and are not. Watch the videos, read the articles, call them! a friendly human will answer and help you. -- This one is a biggie--- for $60 you can file provisional patent (written by you) that carries the same full power and heaviness of even the largest corp. If you qualify financially (I certainly do) and your idea has merit and is chosen, An attorney will write up your patent PRO_BONO (for free). READ THIS::::*************************************** I'm NOT AN ATTORNEY. I don't even play one on TV. DO NOT rely on anything I say. There Is ALOT more that I have not said. You could find yourself in real deep do-do if you do anything out of order or miss a date or ????? I'm just saying educate yourself. It's a lot easier and less expensive to get a patent then it used to be.
i wasn't even interest in patenting anything, just thought I would give this guy something else to think about. Funny thing is this guy wasn't the first to come up with the idea. Another company was already making them. He just found a better patent attorney to write his patent to lock up the idea.( of course he changed a few things) and then proceeded to sue the first company . I didn't let it bother me too long. I've dealt with a lot of people over the years and have come to the conclusion that I am not going to be able to see eye to eye with everyone so don't let it bother me. Anyway, enough of this story. Just thought I would give you my "failure story"
I had an idea, built prototypes, to big and heavy to sell. Didn't get the patent granted. It was a pond aerator, moves a lot of water without much energy. To go lighter with plastic for the frame, probably more than I'll get done. If you have a product that can map elevations and then let me set what I want to do, and can run a valve for automatics, I probably want one. Would it be possible to use say 3 signal devices in a field sat at different elevations around the field to do what gps does?