Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New machine before/after pics along with some questions.

Warning · 2015-02-14 14:06

I've been needing a larger skid steer for some time but couldn't justify the $50k plus a newer one came with. I found this 2000 model 90XT at a local auction. It was a tight machine, has 4800 hrs, but you could tell it was well used and leaked fuel, and needed all the cylinders rebuilt. I knew I could make it work with a little time and money. I planned from the get go to put a loegering vts track system on it. I found a set online and they were delivered within a week. The bucket wasn't wide enough, so I widened it out from 84" to 90", welded some lift hooks and a d-ring to tie it down. It'll work since I won't use a bucket all that much, it'll have a grapple bucket or root rake on it majority of the time.

Replies8
  1. #1Warning2015-02-14 14:11

    My question...the switch on the left. What is it used for? Right one is lights.

  2. #2Warning2015-02-14 14:17

    Also, these buttons. I know the red one is the brake but not sure about the 2 black buttons. Are these machines prone to be cold blooded? I've been having issues getting this thing to start if it's below 30 degrees.

  3. #3KSSS2015-02-14 15:05

    My XT's were configured differently. That looks like a late 90's model with the base attachment control package. I am trying to remember what that switch on the control panel is, I have operators manual still for a 95XT I will have to look it up. I am guessing one of those buttons on the handle will be the horn. If it has ride control (and the sticker is just gone) the other button may be for ride control. You should have a two speed button somewhere as well. My XT's had the larger handles with more/different button configuration. You should not be having cold start issues. That Cummins 3.9T starts well. You may have glow plug issues or low compression issues, which would suck.

  4. #4Warning2015-02-14 15:30

    I have a 257b cat and it has a glow plug switch right next to the park brake switch by the key. I was hoping the switch on the panel was a glow plug switch but I've tried using it with no difference in starting. What is ride control? I wasn't sure if this one had a block heater or not (seams to be a option). I've looked for a plug but didn't have any luck.

  5. #5clintm2015-02-15 10:10

    the one beside the parking brake is for 2 speed travel the one one the right handle is horn . they don't seem to be that cold natured on starting but the hydrostatic is a little cold natured on response until it gets warmed up due to the internal pilot control in the the hydrostatic pump . you may want to install a block heater on the engine if you are cranking a lot in cold weather. be careful with the VTS system it's hard on the rear axles and chains because it only pulls on the rear and not the front in the smaller machines they would snap the rear axles real easy because the tracks would not slip like tires

  6. #6old-iron-habit2015-02-15 11:30

    Called a buddy that has one. On his the right switch is work lights. The left switch is front lights and only the red lights in back. May not do anything if you do not have the optional red rear lighting.

  7. #7JS3002015-02-15 20:26

    What did you use to shine the machine up. DakotaShine or just wax?

  8. #8murphy7772015-02-19 19:10

    I also had a buddy who put over the tire steel tracks on his case and snapped drive chains and an axel as well. maybe the VTX tracks are a little easier, but if you operate with a little respect and finesse that should help a lot….I like how you made the bucket wider….