Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Member

Josh94Z · 2023-10-09 17:01

Hi, new member here. I’ve found this forum very useful over the last couple years as I decided what to buy. I only have few acres, but have ~1/3 mile of gravel drive and have some projects around the property. My first venture was a Deere 510B backhoe. It was overkill for my property but I’ve always wanted a backhoe, and I was tired of pushing snow on a utility tractor with no cab. I bought the 510B knowing it needed at least an inframe. As I got into it last fall I found a broken crank, cracked block (engine had apparently been rebuilt previously by a local deere dealer who decided to leave the balance shafts out) and cracked frame. I decide to cut my losses and sold it to a equipment salvage yard. I’ve still got all the manuals just in case I run into another 510…. For a second attempt I decided to go with something more practical. I just recently purchased a Cat 262C (pre emissions) in great shape. It’s standard flow and single speed, but has cab with heat/ac and should do everything I need to do. I’m looking forward to putting it to work. Josh

Replies3
  1. #1Steve Frazier2023-10-09 21:13

    Welcome to HEF!! My first reaction when describing your 510 was that's a pretty big machine for a few acres LOL!! Sorry to hear of your troubles with it. Good luck with your skid steer!

  2. #2Josh94Z2023-10-10 13:05

    Well the property seems huge when you are staring down 1/3 mile of snow on a Ford 8N LOL! The original plan with a backhoe was to get a single axle dump, try a few side jobs and see if it was something that I could turn into a "retirement" side business in 10 years or so. I know a CTL and mini ex are probably better choices, but I'm more comfortable operating a backhoe (You should see me trying to use the ISO controls on the 262!). I nearly bought a beautiful 590 SM (Series II) ex hoe with 4 in 1 a few months ago, but decided to start smaller. I love the 262 and just couldn't justify the investment and maint costs of a track machine, especially if I never turn it into a business.

  3. #3gypsycatfish2023-10-10 20:05

    To bad you are not close to Maine, I am selling a good 510 that has just had home use for the past 30 years because I bought a 4 wheel drive 310E. The 510 is a monster for pushing over trees with the 22 ft boom.