Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Member (callingtheshop) from Coutts Alberta

callingtheshop ยท 2014-02-09 19:36

Hello, a little introduction. I'm retired from the forest industry in BC. I did a HD Mechanic apprenticeship with BCFP at the Pitt Lake Division and then moved on to M&B on Vancouver Island for a long time. I transferred to several divisions and left that industry in 1996? Can't remember but it's not important. I moved to the grasslands in mid 2006 and love it here, well maybe not today as it's like living in an igloo with the door open and a broken window, a cold winter this month (Feb 2014). I sure enjoy and appreciate all the information and photographs what are posted. Most of it takes a lot of time and work so I'll take this moment to thank all of you who do such a great job. Please continue and I'll keep enjoying all your excellent contributions, mainly in the forestry sector but also all the rest of the heavy equipment industry. Rick

Replies4
  1. #1big ben2014-02-10 00:29

    Welcome Rick !!! Sounds like you have been around and seen a lot of logging and as you can tell BC logging are popular threads around here. Sure you have lots of interesting stories and memories. I'm too young and also born and raised in Alberta to know anything about BCFP and M&B other than reading it here and hearing others tell stories but I am learning all about logging now that I'm living on the Island.

  2. #2wornout wrench2014-02-10 15:36

    Hi Rick Welcome to the forum Have to tell you, I love your handle. If I had a nickel for every time that I heard that on the radio I would be retired hahaha. It is usually the start of an interesting conversation. I'm still in the island, still slogging away trying to keep a bunch of old logging equipment, that reached its best before day some time in the last centenary, running. I'm waiting for the next generation of mechanic's to get up to speed on this old junk so they can relieve me and I can retire. It's just taking longer then planned. I tried the flat lands but couldn't do it. I need my mountains and the sea or at least a really big lake. So if you ever feel the urge to get back into the business, let me know and I'll see if I can rustle up a crawler PTO and down drive on a Madill 044 that need to be done.:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead Enjoy your retirement The Wornout Wrench Brian

  3. #3donkey doctor2014-02-10 16:28

    Welcome Rick. In our plant it wasn"t "calling the shop" that we heard it was the service manager paging the shop foreman. You knew he needed a willing body to go somewhere. d.d.

  4. #4callingtheshop2014-02-10 21:25

    "Calling the Shop" Hearing it once was going to be a calm bit of information. Twice in a row was possibly needing the tireman. Three or more times, big trouble! Major breakdown. Hire a dozen welders! Etc. That definitely was a Doctor Bacardi evening. LOL Some great times though.