Hello...my name is Serv....I tried to register as Serv a while back but the system wouldn't let me post messages....I own a 1999 Case Uniloader, a couple of trucks and a whole bunch of older trailers that I use for my scrap tire business.....:yup I'm currently in the market for a Dozer....I'm focusing on finding a John Deerer 750, whether it be the newest B model to the older C model.....I've learned quite a bit about dozers in the last few weeks....My work will be light, ranch type of work....mainly backfilling.... Throughout my search, I've found all kinds of equipment that are parked for one reason or another.....I came across an older scraper the other day that I can buy very cheap....It's a Fiat Allis and as I understand it, the hydraulics operate very slowly....otherwise, it looks and runs great for an older machine....That scraper would really put me into action at the property where I need the dozer.... Anyway, I'll be poking around the site and reading the archives....Just thought I'd introduce myself now that I got the forum to work for me....:thumbsup
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums.com!!:drinkup I changed your user name for you, sorry for the previous trouble.
welcome serv, never ran a fiat allis scraper. is it a paddle wheel(elevating) scraper?
Thanks Steve...:thumbsup farmerted, Yes, it is the elevating type....This piece of equipment is a smoking deal, providing it is easy to fix....I can buy it for a little more than scrap steel value (3-5k dollars) I think it has a bad hydraulic pump or some sort of restriction in there....It runs and drives....here's some pics...
I bet the tires alone are worth a good part of that price!
yeah the tires alone are proably worth that much. if you are just buying it for personell use i think it is a good deal. i wouldnt want to try to make money with it. if you have the time i think it is proably a good deal. let us know what happens....
Yeah, the tires are ok....the rears are the correct size (26.5x25) for the tractor but worn out....They put a set of 29.5x25's in front that are probably worth around 1200 or so each.....I guess the good thing is they all hold air... I am going to fire it up tomorrow and try to diagnose or isolate the problem in the hydraulics....it has a 903 cummins v8 engine.....hasn't been started in a year but it drove right to where it sits under it's own power.... I am backfilling a pit where I need the dozer and the dirt is around 300-500 feet away from where I need it....I need to move around 10,000 yds to start with then only around 100 yds per day after that.... I'll be calling a somewhat local machinery business tomorrow that deals in Fiat Allis....some people have told me that parts may be non existant for this machine, but who knows....we'll say what the machinery company says...
well,I found my dozer and I bought the scraper before even firing it up....I didn't want to jeopordize the low sale price on the scraper....I offered the guy 4500.00 and he took it....I put two new batteries in the scraper and it fired right up on the first try.....it runs great and the hydraulics are slow....it was very low on hydraulic fluid so I added 10 gallons and loaded it up....it calls for 53 gallons so tomorrow I'll top her off and see what she does....I took a pressure reading out of the pump (under load) and I got 800psi at idle and 1400psi when loading the bowl cylinders.....I'll hope for a increase in pressure when I add more fluid....it is still very low and the fluid I added bubbled up pretty quick.....I guess if that doesn't work, I'll be in for a new vickers high dollar pump....filter/strainer looked good.... As for the dozer, I ended up buying a 95 750C with all new under carriage except the shoes....new radiator, new injection pump and recent in-frame overhaul....the owner was offered 40k on trade from the local deere dealer....The dealer offered me this tractor for 60k....I pursued the owner and bought the tractor outright for 45k....I was just doing what I had to do...the owner just replaced this one with a brand new cat d6r, so trading it in at the deere dealer wasn't even an option anymore.......I was really looking for a B model, and my budget was 30k but I think I did ok...the tractor runs beautifully.... finally, both machines are safe and sound at thier new home now as of today....here's some pics....
5 more pics
last one
Sounds like you did real good on both deals :thumbsup Have fun
I love that dozer...nice one!!:Cowboy
serv, i think you did real good on both machines. the paddle wheel loks to be in pretty good condition.the dozer is nice also. let me know what happens w/ the hydralics on the scraper. just got me curious and you sound like you know your stuff mechanically. by the way welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i hope you like it here!!!!!111:drinkup :drinkup
thanks guys... farmerted, We topped off the reservoir last night and cycled the heck out of all the related hydraulics for about half an hour....same results....we only picked up about 100psi to around 1500....so we pulled off the pump...that pump is a big one...I'm guessing it's a vane pump since it's a vickers....I could spin the input shaft with two fingers (very easily)....I expected more resistance than that, but I don't have experience with these type....also found a few strange parts in the reservoir that I couldn't find where they came from....we fished them out with a magnet then spent an hour trying to figure out where they came from....they were in the strainer for the main hydraulic feed line to the pump....maybe someone threw the parts in the tank? doesn'tmake sense....anyway, I'm going to see about having the pump bench tested and I'm getting on the phone now for a fax of a hydraulic tank schematic.... I figure that's the best I can do at this point.....I'll try to get some pictures of this stuff in the next couple of days.... thanks for the warm welcome guys....:Cowboy
Serv, I have 1 question about the scraper...the hydraulic cylinders under the swinging pivot for the elevator assembly...what do they do? Are they powered, or are they shock cushion cylinders for the flights? It looks like you have the beginnings of a pretty good fleet already, now you need to pick up a cheap sheepsfoot roller for compaction. Reading with interest, alan627b A couple of sites that might help... IBdozing http://discuss.ibdozing.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi A-C Website http://www.allischalmers.com/
Those are powered cylinders. One of the four control levers in the cab is for those cylinders. They raise and lower the entire flight assembly as a whole and get it out of the way of ejecting the dirt. I also found that when you eject your load of dirt, the system automatically sends some hyd. pressure to those very cylinders to raise out of the way too. So you hardly ever have to raise and lower them independently. the flights are cushioned by some solid rubber pads. I'm keeping my eye out for any abandoned equipment lately since (like everything else in my life) I tend to go overboard in anything I get involved in. :bouncegri I've seen a few abandoned rollers BTW. Just not the sheepsfoot type. But I'll keep my eyes peeled. :thumbsup