Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Member With an Old Case Loader

MrMarty51 · 2025-12-10 18:21

A friend with a truck repair, salvage and wrecker service gave me this old Case W9 loader. One Planetary hub is not there. Tire and wheel is. Did some searching and found a complete planetary for $800.00 but its a long ways from eastern Montana. Thought maybe I should see how well the engine runs and if the hydraulics function, maybe hear transmission clunk from forward to reverse. It has not been started in probably about eight to ten years. Checked all the fluid levels and all is in good standing. Checked fuel, right to the brim. A fresh battery installed, twisted the key to a very solid clunk. Engine not spinning. Today, through the rain and snow pulled the starter, a bar to the ring gear and it moved about as far as stuck rings would allow, less than a half a starter ring tooth. And so injectors need to come out. Using a clear plastic hose started the siphon. I had four yellow five gallon jugs. Filled three, started on the fourth, then, black looking matter started flowing. Got about two gallons of that and siphon stopped. Tried to restart siphon and give several pulls on the hose but not enough fuel, boy did this stuff taste nasty, not like when the siphon first started and not like the fresh diesel fuel I usually enjoy drinking. And so removed the pipe from the tank to the filter and started that to draining through a length of 5/16ths” hose into another jug. Thats when I called it quits for the day. It was snowing big wet flakes, I was soaked, cold and my mouth had this very nasty taste of rotten fuel. LOL More to come. The boom cylinder rods are in nice condition. The bucket cylinder rods have rust. I hope some fine emory will take care of that. If I can get it to crank over and run, then find a planetary that I can afford.

Replies19
  1. #1MrMarty512025-12-10 18:23

    The part of the steer axle that I do have.

  2. #2MrMarty512025-12-10 18:41

    A little about me. My dad was an electrical and mechanical genius. He started me in the mechanic business when I was ten. Mostly watching and washing parts. I learned how to keep my bicycle in shape, then later the cars and pickup trucks. Got a job with the Montana DOT on road maintenance in 1977 and the first loader I ever operated was a Case W5. You did not want that engine to stall with the bucket over the side of a truck box or sander. If it didnt want to start again You was stuck until someone came to Your rescue or else kick out the top window glass. I never did, I know some that did. The next loader that came to the section was a Case W7 that had a cab and a heater. Nice machine. Then I transferred into the shop when a mechanic position opened up. Total time with the DOT was 31 years and 28 fixin and doing PM work. Retired in 2008 and try to do a few projects that brings in a few dollars now and then. Thats about it.

  3. #3Mr. Wrench2025-12-10 22:42

    Welcome to the forum MrMarty51 !

  4. #4MrMarty512025-12-10 22:45

    Seems the full images dont show so good. I’ll repost the pics and leave them as thumb nails.

  5. #5MrMarty512025-12-10 22:47

    Thank You for the welcome.

  6. #6MrMarty512025-12-11 02:38

    If anyone has a planetary hub suitable fir the W-9 case loader please send me a message and see if I can get this old relic back to its former functionality. I’m also looking at an IH dump truck. See if I can get into some more simple kinds of dirt work.

  7. #7Mr. Wrench2025-12-11 09:47

    What engine? DT466?

  8. #8MrMarty512025-12-11 16:21

    He mentioned Big Cam Cummins, He couldnt quite remember which one it had, he rattled off a couple but they was smaller than the Big Cam 350. Seems He mentioned something close to, or 220 or 260 maybe. Only BC engines I am familiar with was the 350 and the 400. I had never heard of a BC engine with any other numbers but I’m not familiar with them. I’ll try to get a better detail on that engine. He is a mighty busy man and a lot of trucks and repairs pass through his shop so I could see how he could misplace numbers.

  9. #9MrMarty512025-12-11 16:42

    A glimpse of what He does. I have a picture of the side of one of his wrecker trucks but it has the name and number of his company on the side. If its okay with the forum admins I could put that picture up too. Just a better pic of one of His tandem axle wrecker trucks. Also a picture of a flat fender Power Wagon He handed off to me. If it dries up or the ground freezes we will get back in the lot and load it up.

  10. #10MrMarty512025-12-11 16:47

    The hood with the Power Wagon emblems is present. The fenders and radiator cowl too. I didnt move anything around but it all appears to be in fairly straight condition. Someone did install a power brake booster and front to rear brake split system. Not sure what route I’ll take this but looks to be a good candidate for a 12 valve cummins.

  11. #11oarwhat2025-12-12 08:34

    My buddy did one like this. He was thinking about a 4 cylinder Cummins. The axle ratios where way to high. Like 4:88 or even higher.

  12. #12MrMarty512025-12-12 15:13

    Brings to mind that when Shorty passed this on to Me He mentioned that he has an old loader or some such that has a Chrysler Flathead industrial engine in it, I can also have that engine. He stated that it was a new engine with only a few hours on it but some other failure prevented them from using that loader so they just parked it. That probably would be the best option. Then a MoPar pickup transmission with OD, from a two wheel drive to drive shaft to the transfer case. I also want to retransmission my 1959 Dodge W100 Power Wagon so it has some better road legs. LOL This one has the original Polyhead 318 that is totally rebuilt, the truck too. 6,000 pound Belleview winch behind the cab and a set of gin poles for lifting. Also the swing around hoist.

  13. #13MrMarty512025-12-12 15:14
  14. #14MrMarty512025-12-27 20:41

    Grade 8 bolts made to center punches. Removing the studs from the steering knuckle. Then going to take a plate of steel by 3/8ths” thick, screw the center punches into the stud holes and mark about five holes, then drill them to 17/32nds. Where this loader sets is also a semi truck salvage yard. Shorty gave Me my choice of whatever old spindle and hub thats out in the yard. I’ll weld that semi truck spindle to the plate, bolt the plate to the steer knuckle, stick a semi truck tire and wheel onto the hub, get the tires so they will hold air, then, I should be able to get the loader onto my sons trailer and get it moved to my garage/shop. Back it in and work on it in heated comfort. Back it in so that the missing planetary and engine end is nearest to the tool box.

  15. #15MrMarty512026-01-01 19:49

    The studs in this steering knuckle is 7/16ths NC so made another set if three. Then off to the loader to remove the rest of the studs. The operation goes better if the studs are clean and free of sealers and grime. And then I got a rear axle spindle to weld to the plate so a semi truck type wheel and tire can be mounted to this corner then the loader can be moved out, loaded up and hauled away. I did get the engine to bar over without a lot of force. It woukd turn about a 1/4 of a turn then solidly lock up. About the same distance the other direction with the same results. After some thought, valves is rusted open. Dont know how bad those are. That darn exhaust stack is one that has a slight curve and a baloney type cut off the lower side. I have never liked that style if a pipe. Too much of a chance if wind bliwing rain into that opening, then, if that engine is not fired up on a regular basis this same thing happens. Before I could go any farther on this project My son came to the location with his bore scope. Looking into the cylinders, they are bad. Terribly bad. I’m not much if one for throwing in the towel on such a project but I am on this one. That steering knuckle I’m wirking on has been busted bad. The bolt holes busted out, someone stuck longer than necessary bolts into the holes then welded the knuckle and bolts together, then welded the top cap to the knuckle. Yup, I’m walking away from this one. Maybe put together the 1993 Harley Davidson FLH Sport thats all in pieces in a big crate out in the yard.

  16. #16MrMarty512026-01-01 19:51

    In this picture the too long of bolts are visible. And that one bolt forward is too long and I think it is welded on the inside if the knuck. Basically this steer knuckle is trashed.

  17. #17oarwhat2026-01-02 08:23

    Good idea giving up on this project. Personally, I would never have bothered trying.

  18. #18JaredV2026-01-02 11:19

    Aw, dang it! I was looking forward to seeing another piece of old iron being revived but I don't blame you. Those machines don't seem to be real common to make finding parts easy.

  19. #19MrMarty512026-01-02 20:05

    That too was my thoughts, mainly the aw dang it portion.