Hi guys, I'm a new member here to these forums and look forward to picking your brains a little bit. I currently drive for a excavating outfit here in Sault, MI. Here's a question for you guys. I have the opportunity to buy a 91 Kenworth t800 short nose for about $1200. It is a triaxle dump truck currently but I would like to get it and shorten it up about 4 feet and turn it into a semi. It has a 350hp cummins in it but it's missing the fuel tank, air tanks and the driver side headlight. My question is would it be worth it to pick it up and put a little coin into it. I knew the guy the drove it and he almost cried when they took it to the scrap yard for a quick buck. It has 213k miles on it. I have shortened up heavy truck before but I want it for the heavy duty frame and rear end Thanks guys
you really mean $1,200.00? Can't imagine scraping a 91 almost anything with only 213K on it unless it has been really run into the ground and had the crap abused out of it.
yeah $1200.00, Like I said the only thing that is wrong with it is the box is wiped and the fuel tank, air tanks and the left side headlight assembly is missing. In order to get it rolling I need to put a couple drive tires and a steer on the front but I have those in the shop already so I'm kinda thinking I would be stupid not to buy it but cutting down a double framed truck is not fun at times lol unless I move the axles forward and drill new holes for the brackets for the springs and walking beam. Since it was a dump truck also there's no need to find a wet kit for it since the pto and pump are already there. oh and the milieage was a typo. it's at 413K
I'd do it................
Dump truck specs and 'semi' specs are two different animals. Frame, suspension, gear ratio, engine size, etc. If you're talking about pulling a log trailer or dump trailer, maybe. Even then, you would also need to modify the brake system for trailer brakes, including the fronts most likely. There would be wiring mods as well, before you even started talking about shortening the frame. For a truck that old, the cost of the conversion would be a very poor investment IMO. Sell it, and buy a factory tractor.
Im not sure what to tell you to do but if you want to sell it let me know! I have been looking for something like this for quite some time. Thanks
no not going to sell it since I picked it up today .... Adding the brakes for a trailer should be easy, I have spare protection valves on the shelf in the shop and the service brakes will tie in off of the foot valve. Wiring shouldn't be too horrible.... and I'm not going to cut the frame and suck it in I figured it would be quicker to pull the Mag drill out and slide the axles up on the frame and and drill new holes and of course just chop off the access at the end. This is going to turn into a project now so keep an eye out for my next thread I'll try and post pics of the process. Thank you all for the opinions....... pros outweighed the cons
I think you are right. If you have the time and the know how i dont see how you could lose. My only concern would be what trans is in it? If its got a 8LL i wouldnt be sure how that would pull anything over the road for distance type hauling (not that im saying i know, i would just wonder how it would perform). Anyway you can pickup a daycab road tractor for about 10K, however it will be worn out and beat up. At least this way you get low miles and know what you got when you are done! Please show us some pics when you get a chance, i would love to see how this comes together for you. BEST OF LUCK!!!
The truck has a eaton 13 in it. It should be a good truck the only thing I'm a little worried about is the 350hp cummins in it. It will pull our lowboy with our Deere 490D excavator well but not sure how well it will pull the 24' triaxle end dump trailer. My current truck that I drive for my job is a International S2700 tandem dump truck with a 250hp L10 and a 8LL trans with a 16' box and it seems to do farely well. Guess I will find out. I'm currently busy converter our Ford L9000 tandem from a 13' box to a 15' box. It was a county road truck with the fuel and hydraulic tanks right behind the cab. I will start another thread with the progress on it if you guys would like but after that I'm going to tear into the kenworth and make it a semi. It should be fun
Scrap prices $250 per ton and used worthless dump truck 10 to 14 tons? I pick it up and part it out piece by piece then scrap the worthless parts.
I just picked it up the other day and I ended up paying $900.00 for it. I'm going to start another thread of the conversion