Hi all...1st post as new member. Closing in the purchase of a new mini. I've settled on a 4 ton class machine, and narrowed my choice to the Bobcat E42 or the Kubota KX040-4. Interested in opinions, good or bad on those choices. And for that matter, if I'm overlooking other models or brands I should be considering. In my area, Bobcat, Kubota, Cat, and Deere all have good dealers. Should preface with stating that I'm a private user, not a for-hire business. I've got a large (several hundred acre) piece of hunting land. A majority of the work I'll be doing it trail and road building, ditching, and some stumping/forestry work. For trail work, the width of the 4-ton units I'm looking at are about as wide as I want to go. Weight wise, I can handle the 4-ton machines with the truck and trailer setup that I have...another plus. Thanks, Brian
I would make my decision based on the dealership....That means visiting and just observing and talking with their mechanics etc....I made the wrong decision, and although I eventually got things worked out with a different dealer, that is my advice Tony
Thank you...good advice. So far my Bobcat dealer has been just that. Totally accommodating. Delivered a brand-new, loaded E42 at my place today for a demo. Offered to let me try any and all buckets, grapples, etc. that they have. Kubota offered good price, but they haven't got any demo machines for me to try.
The one thing I like about Kubota is its all kubota engine included . I have a Bobcat skidsteer with a Doosan tier 4 engine in it . It runs ok but a little weiry on the fuel system . Its not the greatest at starting and I have had 5 or 6 fault codes come up , but machine still ran . Only 108 hrs on it . My bobcat was sold to me through a truck center . The Kubota was sold to me from a farm comercial dealer . They seem to have a lot more knowledge on what they sell . I have had over ten Kubotas with no issues at all .
I really like the look and feel of the Kubota. Unfortunately my dealer isn't able to get me a demo for at 2-3 weeks. It seems like a coin toss to me between the KX040-4 and the Bobcat E42. The E42 is on my property right now (delivered yesterday)with a full tank of gas (minus yesterday's use) for as long as I need to make a decision. This seems like a case of the dealership making the difference. Additionally, my Bobcat dealership has virtually every factory attachment made for the E42 that I can try for free as well. The E42 he delivered is brand new and loaded...cab with htr/ac, angle blade, dual aux hydraulics, thumb, extendable arm, radio, upgraded seat, class 4 bucket, thumb, grapple.
I have a 15 e42 long arm, cab great machine. The 040 is considerably smaller than the e42. In between e32 and e42. Stick with bobcat if they are already treating you that good. I use a lot of attatchments so I passed on the extendable arm.
Be sure to try a grading bucket and or a swivel attachment. Great for cleaning up and final. Most times don't leave without them
Thanks...pretty much decided I'm going with the E42. Dealer is offering me a great deal on the demo...basically new, <15 hrs. Am I missing something...any reason you wouldn't run attachments on the extendable arm? The demo unit has dual aux hydraulics. You can pin the arm in the retracted position and use that circuit for attachments, or use the circuit from the thumb. The extendable arm comes with additional counterweight, so that should be a worthwhile addition for using attachments. Correct?
Nothing wrong with it just one more thing to pin when using an attachment plus I think it would be pinned at standard arm length. I use attachments almost daily (swivel,breaker, or auger). Extra weight of the arm with thumb and attachments was a concern for balance and also the angle blade stuck out farther and compactness is a concern on my jobs so I thought I would save the $$. If it's a good deal I wouldn't hesitate though. What is the price by the way. Wish I had depth check though.
Update...ended up with the E42. It's parked in my barn. Signing paperwork in the morning.