Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Muffler on My Komatso PC45R-8 !!!!

trainbuffx57 ยท 2012-12-06 10:14

Hey all !!! I am wondering if anyone knows if I can change the muffler on Pc45r-8 while the motor is in the machine ??? Any and all tips would be Greatly appreciated !!!! Also any tips on where to buy after market parts for the machine ie;muffler !!! I am located in NYC & south west Ct. !!!! Thanks, Mike M.

Replies10
  1. #1RobVG2012-12-06 22:11

    I don't know if this applies to your machine but our PC35 has a tilt cab- making just about everything accessible.

  2. #2trainbuffx572012-12-07 06:25

    Thanks for responding Rob !! But I don't have a tilt cab !! It's around a 1998 model with a 4 cyl. Yanmmar engine !! I do think the counterweight on the right swings out !! But I am not sure if I can presuede the muffler out from there !! I'm hoping someone knows the machine better than me chimes in !!! Thanks , Mike M.

  3. #3trainbuffx572013-01-28 07:37

    Hey guys !!!! Is there any help out there for this muffler question !!!! At least a line on aftermarket mufflers !!! Thanks, Mike M.

  4. #4RobVG2013-01-28 19:53

    No luck yet on getting it out? FWIW, depending on how bad it is you might be able to mig weld a patch on it. 16 gauge works well. I've done this a few times with success and they're still holding up after a couple of years. The last one I did I welded a new end on it.

  5. #5RobVG2013-01-28 20:14

    I know this isn't your machine but it is another a PC (27) model and has a tilt cab. Our JD 50 also has a tilt cab. You remove 3 bolts into the counterweigh and crank a screw jack. I'd be really tempted to call a dealer and ask about it. Wouldn't hurt.

  6. #6trainbuffx572013-01-29 05:49

    Thanks Rob !! That was my first thought !!!! Weld a new end on it !!!! But to do that I need to get it out !!! And if I get it out !! Well, I might as well replace it as long as it is reasonably priced !!! if I could get 1 for $100-$200 I'm in !! I have seen 1 for close to $600 and in that case , break out the welder !!!! The end broke off around the exhuast pipe !! Anyone else have any thoughts on getting the muffler out !! Thanks, Mike M.

  7. #7tool_king2013-01-29 22:45

    trainbuffx57 The cab would have to come off .Than the fire wall .And that is a big job on the fire wall .Their are so many things bolted to it.I welded a new pipe into the muffler with it in the machine on a custmers machine .Make sure you have fire extingguisher and water on hand to put out any fire that may start from the sound deadener .Some time the spark might catch some thing .What I have done is wet the machine so the sound deadener wet and will not catch on fire so easy.Take your time and tach weld it in different spots let them cool .Than tach a different spot till you get it welded all way. You can use a stick welder and bent the rod to get you on their .If I remember right the pipe size is 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 .Get a piece of exhaust pipe and slide into the muffler about two inches and weld in place .You will have to loosen the bracket blow the the fan to the tail pipe over the new muffler out let .If you have auto darken welding helmet it will make the job a lot eazier .If you have any questions call me a 1-201-832-1606 during the day. Thanks ED

  8. #8trainbuffx572013-01-30 06:17

    Hey Ed !!!! Thanks for the info !!!! I guess I will opt. for the quick fix when the weather breaks (I just use the machine around our property in Ct.)!!!! I am almost tempted to try JB Weld !!! I might try to tack it with the mig welder (I think I'm better with the mig on thinner material) first then finish up with the JB Weld !!!! If it goes well with the welder I will just do the whole thing!!! The problem was the vibration at idle is shaking the tailpipe enough to break a 4 inch section in the center of the end of the muffler with the tailpipe mounted to it !!! I appreciate the insight and the time you have taken to help me out !!! Thanks, Mike M. I'll let you know how it turns out when I tackle the job Thanks,

  9. #9MrKomatsu2013-01-30 07:24

    It looks like the floor frame has to be taken off ...

  10. #10trainbuffx572013-01-30 09:28

    Great !!! I will try to check it out this weekend !!!! Attack it from beneath the motor ???? Thanks, Mike M.