Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New NASA towers

gr79 ยท 2009-10-27 22:41

They are quick! Pad upgrades for the shuttle's replacements. Launch pad 39B lightning mast assy video: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasa...mage=389322main_ksc_092409_ares1x_tower-t.gif More details: http://wiki.nasa.gov/cm/blog/Ares I-X/posts/post_1232655065972.html Site also has many interesting videos of the stacking of the shuttle, etc. The giant crawlers carrying those things and the weight is still amazing. So too is the work that is done to accomplish it all.

Replies3
  1. #1BigIron252009-10-28 17:54

    Cool!!

  2. #2gostr8r2011-06-21 21:53

    Cool vid clip! I got to watch them build all 3 of the 600' tall lightning protection towers from my seat at the VAB 3.5 miles away from that pad. The 21,000 Luffer was from All Crane Erectors.

  3. #3gostr8r2011-06-22 08:20

    Some pics from the NASA project. I did 2 years there on the Vehicle Assembly Building running a 415 Peiner at 600'. We took the original 8 acres of roof off from the mid 60's off and replaced it. I had a birds eye view of the 2 launch pads, and on a clear day could see the hills of Clearmont that were about 70 miles away, without binoculars! http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/gostr8r/My Crane Rental Corp projects/#!cpZZ4QQtppZZ16