Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New owner of JD 410

Syclone538 ยท 2012-11-20 23:29

Just got an older (early '80's?) 410 that needs a little attention, looking to get pointed in the right direction. I know a decent amount about working on cars, but completely new to heavy equipment and diesels. Hoe arm (l<-) B T33931 RR Frame 9410 0417251 RF Frame 410-D 292515T Engine 4219DT 03 449301T What year is it? Where is a good place to get an owners manual or service manual? Temp gauge doesn't work, not sure how hard that will be to fix. Oil in the coolant, but I don't think any coolant in the oil. Radiator cap lets coolant run out the overflow hose (no overflow jug, planning on adding an aftermarket jug once I figure out the oil in the coolant) and I'm somewhat afraid when I get a new cap on it and it builds some pressure it will push coolant into the oil. Looks like oil lines go to water pump, I assume that is used as an oil cooler. Hopefully this is where the oil is coming from? Does this engine have a dry deck head? Would a head gasket let oil into the coolant? Wanting to change the oil very soon, to make sure there is no coolant in it, what oil should we use? Has some kind of charging or battery problem, or a short somewhere draining the batteries. 2 6 volt batteries, the previous owner said they're about 2-3 years old. Have only had it running for about a half hour, and in that time I'm pretty sure the batteries actually discharged. Red light with lightning bolt was on sometimes while running, pretty sure it was not constantly on while running. How much water should be in the batteries? 5 of the 6 ports, the water was just above the plates, about an inch down from the top. On the other, a plate was slightly above the water, so I added just enough distilled water to cover the plate, just like the other 5. When you let the clutch out, there is like a 1 or 2 second delay before it starts moving. Is this normal? Or are you supposed to put it in gear and let the clutch out, then use the lever on the dash? Does it matter? We need teeth for the hoe bucket, just get them at the dealer, or is there a better deal somewhere else? That's everything I can think of right now, I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Replies7
  1. #1OldandWorn2012-11-21 00:30

    Welcome to HEF Syclone538. I have a 410 and can answer some of your questions....just give me a sec.

  2. #2OldandWorn2012-11-21 00:57

    E-Bay Gauge or sender unit. I think it comes as an assembly I wouldn't worry about installing an overflow jug. Once the level adjusts itself (inch or 2 below the cap cold) it will stop flowing out. Water is piped to a heat exchanger in the oil filter mount. Not a likely source of your leak. I haven't changed mine yet but I'm going to use Rotella 10/30. Yes, when that light is on it's not charging. As long as the plates are fully covered you are good but the level should be a little higher, just like an automotive battery. Pushing the clutch half way down or placing the shuttle lever in neutral is doing the same thing. There should be a slight delay and the delay is mechanically adjustable somewhere on the shuttle down below.

  3. #3chroniekon2012-11-21 02:33

    Not sure about your 410, but the cheapest place I could find a tech/service manual for my 310 was at www.johndeeretechinfo.com They have it on CD, DVD and the regular printed copy or you can also download it direct. I got the CD version for around $45.00

  4. #4chroniekon2012-11-21 02:58

    The part number for the tech manual for your 410 is a TM1037. They also have one for the 310 and 410 combined that is a TM4290. www.jdparts.deere.com is a good place to look up parts.

  5. #5Dig_Texas2012-11-21 08:27

    Does it overheat? I had a JD310 with the 4039 engine that had corrosion cavitation of the liners. Would pressurize the coolant to the point of blowing out the overflow and then overheat. If the coolant hasn't had SCA additive or changed regularly, this could be a concern. I first thought it was a blown head gasket or head, found the real problem after taking the head off and making a steel plate to bolt over the hole with an air fitting in the center. When I pressurized the hole, air bubbles came out of the radiator. Block and head surfaces OK and gasket good so I knew this was the problem. Is the belt tight? Might also have a blown fuse. Since I live a couple hours from a JD industrial store, I have been ordering my bucket teeth from Romac Industrial. They seem to have competitive pricing and fast shipping. I recently had to replace both the shanks and the teeth on my excavator. I ordered the wrong ones the first time. I called them and got a RMA number, shipped them back for credit and the right ones were at the shop in two days.

  6. #6Syclone5382012-11-26 11:55

    Thanks everyone for the help so far. The oil/water issue isn't looking good. Didn't think the radiator cap was holding pressure because of how much water comes out of the overflow hose so I got a new cap. It wasn't the caps fault. Put the hose in a jug, and once the coolant got above the hose, realized how much air is blowing out the hose. So I'm pretty sure that is cylinder pressure blowing into the water jacket, through the head gasket, head, or cylinder wall. It did not pull the water back in from the jug as it cooled off. As the temp gauge doesn't work, I don't know exactly how hot it gets, but it's not overheating. Still oil in the water, but no sign of water on the dipstick. Haven't changed the oil yet. The battery cables were pretty bad so I cleaned them up, and put in a battery disconnect. Also tested volts as much as I could see any relevance in. Got a bunch of volts at different times wrote down and will post them, but the short version is it's discharging while running, and one of the batteries suddenly lost almost all of it's charge, while running.

  7. #7leisureexpress2012-11-26 13:44

    I've got one of these too. Call up John Deere and tell them you have frame number " 292515T " and they should be able to tell you the date of MFG from that. Late 70's - early 80's sounds about right.