Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Pelican sweepers

Dwan Hall ยท 2007-04-12 21:32

I have been looking for another machanical sweeper to replace 2 of my older ones (1963 Pelican, & 1968 Mobil M7). I have found several nice used ones that have been reconditioned then I ran across this. For those of you that have never ran a Pelican you may not understand but for those of you that have!! http://elginsweeper.com/flash/images/pelican_28.jpg http://elginsweeper.com/flash/images/pelican_20.jpg http://elginsweeper.com/flash/images/pelican_22.jpg

Replies6
  1. #1equipment fan2007-04-13 07:11

    good sweeper .The visibility looks great and the cab looks also great.

  2. #2CT18fireman2007-04-13 08:32

    I never operated one, but I have ridden in the one our town operates. Great visibility and maneuverabilty. My only complaint was that at transport speed the ride sucked. They team it up here with a truck unit. The truck goes down the road overlapping the center of the road. Then the Pelican is used to get the curb line. It works well cause it can maneuver right along the curb, into catch basin cutouts etc. They are really nice units.

  3. #3jazak2007-04-13 11:13

    Looks like a really nice machine......

  4. #4Dwan Hall2007-04-19 01:00

    Well I couldn't afford the $150K for a new one so I found this one. I think it will last a few years till I can talk the wife out of some money.

  5. #5DaveVB2007-04-19 08:10

    Have you ever operated a Tymco? We had them in the Air Force, they were a good machine when adjusted properly. Not something you admitted being licensed on though. Getting flightline sweeper for the day meant 8 hours of sitting on the flightline doing zilch.

  6. #6Dwan Hall2007-04-19 10:34

    I have looked at them but for now a machanical sweeper is about the only thing that fits my needs. The AirCub I have works well on the light maintance of my lost and a machanical broom is needed to pick up the heavy sand/rock layed down over the winter. There are some lots I have ware the dirt is 4" to 6" thick. I also needed a machanical unit to pickup behind a grinding crew on the highway and these air sweepers would do the job it would distroy one in 1 season as a machanical sweeper will last as long as it is maintained. I can remember a lot of hury up and wait back in the 60's Thanks for the reply Dwan