Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New pick up tires

Welder Dave · 2022-08-03 15:35

I need to get new tires on my F150 and am wondering where to get the best deal. I've heard Costco is pretty good but also sometimes dealers will sell new take off's pretty reasonable. From what I've seen the BFG All Terrain Ta's are the highest rated but also the most expensive. The original Goodyear's have 127,000kms. on them so I can't complain. I don't really need a super aggressive tread since I have 4 wheel drive and I also don't like a lot of road nice. I don't really understand people who like the really aggressive tires and extra loud exhaust and never really go off road where they'll need the extreme mud tires. I saw some Cooper Discovery tires for a decent price but wondering what you guys like?

Replies45
  1. #1cfherrman2022-08-03 17:33

    I went with bfg at's on my f250, got them on eBay and had peerless mount them for $100. Oddly enough my friend was getting them too on his 1/2 ton dodge with bigger rims. I spent around $1100 and he spent around $1500, but he has road Hazzard from peerless. This was quite awhile ago maybe in 2019-2020. I used to sell tires at Walmart around 2005 and always loved the at's and some people got great milage out of them up to 80k miles. I know in my service I'll probably only get 40k. They don't do that great in deep mud but every tire won't unless it's a mud tire, then your paying the price every second your not in deep mud with mud tires. I have had excellent luck with them and they have performed better or the same as anything else I've driven with except mud tires as noted. Winter performance on ice and snow has been exceptionally better as typically I'll have to use 4x4 to get around or end up taking the wife van, I haven't used 4x4 in ice or snow with normal in town driving since going with the at's..

  2. #2cosmaar12022-08-03 17:37

    A few years ago I purchased mine from the Goodyear website, got $200 off plus a $60 prepaid Visa card. You can get them installed as a discount and it was still cheaper than the local store they were shipped to.

  3. #3terex herder2022-08-03 23:01

    I've had good luck with Cooper, I think AT3. 3/4 ton pu, 80% gravel miles, maybe 30K on rears, 50K on fronts, on 2 trucks.

  4. #4Camshawn2022-08-04 00:11

    We have been happy with our KO2’s. Not too noisy, good tread life so far. Really happy with the traction in all conditions we have to deal with. Really wanted snow flake marked tires and these ones haven’t disappointed use. Cam

  5. #5JPV2022-08-04 01:24

    I love the BFG AT's and have mainly ran them with great luck on lots of gravel, put a set of Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx on my 2500 last winter because I didn't want to wait for the BFGs to come in, have regretted it ever since. For some reason the 265/75 16's that I got feel really squirmy cornering on the highway like the sidewalls have a lot of flex, they are load range E tires. They are comparable to the BFGs other than that.

  6. #6Welder Dave2022-08-04 12:53

    Looks like the BFG's don't come in the size I need. I'll have to check with some tire stores for good deals.

  7. #7DDoug2022-08-04 13:35

    I have a tire machine & balancer. On my f-150 I bought New take off steel rims for winter tires, keep them mounted and ready to install in October. So my summer tires are just that, summer tires.

  8. #8mekanik2022-08-04 15:46

    I walked into the Ford dealer to pick up some parts. One of the parts guys was rolling a set on new take off tires into the part warehouse. I stopped him so I could have a look at them, they were Good Year Wrangler Kevlar's and the correct size for my Chevy pickup. I said "how Much?" $150 each. I bought them and took them home. I checked the price at the tire shops and the best price was $280 each. I have bought a few sets of take off tires from dealers for a good price.

  9. #9cfherrman2022-08-04 17:01

    What size you looking for?

  10. #10Acoals2022-08-04 22:20

    I have Firestone Destination XTs on my F250. I like them a lot better than the Cooper at3's, especially in the snow. The truck plows like it is on tracks with them. They seem to hold up well to heavy towing as well.

  11. #11Steve Frazier2022-08-04 23:36

    I've bought new takeoffs on eBay several times with great success. Usually 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of new. Just realize there's no warranty but I've never made a warranty claim on a tire in my life. For new tires I've found Sam's Club is hard to beat. www.tirerack.com is another place to find deals on clearance items.

  12. #12John C.2022-08-05 10:44

    Just got a set of Goodyear Wrangler HT tires for my Tacoma. I checked Les Schwab first and they gave me a song and dance on a set of their premium tires no name tires. I went to the Goodyear store and got the Wranglers for the same money plus a front end alignment. It was nice to see American made mounted on my Japanese named truck.

  13. #13Welder Dave2022-08-05 14:02

    Thanks for the responses. The BFG's do come in my size 275 65R 18 but were quite a bit over $400/tire. I didn't really want to go all over the place trying to find the cheapest tires or absolute best price. I just wanted a good tire and a decent deal so decided to go to a Kal Tire that has treated me really good in the past. I looked at some Sumitomo Encounter AT's and Yokohama Geolander G015 AT's. The Sumitomo's were less money but noisier. I decided to go with the Yokohama's because they were quieter and typically last a little longer. Also he knocked a little over $30 off per tire for the Yokohama's. He said there might be a mail in rebate too but wasn't positive. I asked about tire specials but they aren't offered until late Sep. or Oct. I'm getting an alignment too and they took $20 off since I'm getting 4 new tires. It's nice they can do the alignment at the same time they install the tires. Another reason I went with them is because if I ever need a repair they have always been able to fit me in. Repairs and rotations are free. I considered going to Costco but have read you can wait a long time and don't know how much hassle it would be to get a repair or a rotation. I also read several people say to avoid going to Canadian Tire. CT charges $15 more per tire for mounting and balancing. I also like to shop at places that have treated me well in the past. If I see the tires cheaper somewhere else they will match the price too.

  14. #14cw4Bray2022-08-05 15:04

    A bad combination: My F150 came with a tow package, big mirrors, a xmsn cooler and low profile tires to make it handle better. I wanted 10 ply rather than stock 6 ply tires. I removed the factory tires with less than 5000 miles on them and installed high profile 10 ply Walmart tires - I loved them for 40,000. miles. but when it was time to replace them, I went with "Ironman" all country LT275/65R20 . A very poor choice. I'm dealing with a lot of sidewall roll and over-steering even with high tire pressure. I had an alignment done when they were new, the alignment shop owner - a race car owner who told me these "Ironman" were the worst tires he's ever seen. Unfortunately, it's difficult to return used tires, so I'm stuck with them.

  15. #15AllDodge2022-08-05 15:27

    I like Toyo

  16. #16Truck Shop2022-08-05 17:17

    Very good choice.

  17. #17Camshawn2022-08-05 21:23

    One of my friends runs the Geolanders here on the wet coast. He is very happy with them. Cam

  18. #18Welder Dave2022-08-06 00:29

    Thanks for confirming they were a good choice. Most reviews were really good but like anything else, there were some terrible reviews for them. I think you have go with the majority which liked them and would purchase again. Apparently they're considered a premium tire and the Sumitomo's are an entry level tire. I got them for $334/ea. and the regular price was $367 so I little bit of a discount. I could have bought a 5th one and been around the price of 4 BFG's. They have a 100,000Km warranty too where the BFG's are only 80,000km. I guess I'll see how they compare to the original tires. I think they should have better grip because they're more aggressive but not super aggressive.

  19. #19KSSS2022-08-06 01:13

    Winters are rough here, and due to the nature of working off road in the back country, I have always picked an aggressive all terrain tire. I have run the Nitto EXO Grappler which is an excellent aggressive all terrain tire, Toyo AT3 which has been a great tire sticking to the road in the Winter, but I am not sure I will see the miles out of them I should. I think the best tire for the money on a somewhat aggressive all terrain tire is the Falcon Wildpeak AT. I have them on several pickups, the tire store I use says they are by far their best selling pickup tire they sell. They are also reasonably priced. My issue with the KO's is they dont last if you tow on them, and once they are down to about 50% wear, they are worthless. The KO is probably the best tire I have ever run in the Winter when your on ice covered roads when they are new. They are sipped so well they stick like a cat on the road. They are not great in fresh snow, even new. Once they hit 50% they hydroplane, worthless off road. For me, just not worth the money, but many guys do like them.

  20. #20Welder Dave2022-08-06 01:37

    Nokian are supposed to be pretty good too but lots are made in Russia. Tire shop said only 1 customer has had a problem with this. I'm guessing a lot of customers don't question where their tires come from.

  21. #21cfherrman2022-08-06 06:58

    I rather have Russian tires than Chinese. My ko's are pretty close to 50% so we will see how they get along.

  22. #22Welder Dave2022-08-06 11:51

    The Chinese don't have a good reputation and it's a little odd the Russian tires aren't banned like most other products from Russia. It could be there are a lot of tires in warehouses that have been there a year or more. I don't know how they'd even get tires out of Russia.

  23. #23cuttin edge2022-08-07 11:41

    I find the BFGs wear fast if you don't rotate, and once they start uneven wear that's it. They are not real good in snow as well. They started putting Micheline on the work trucks as they seem to outlast anything. My personal vehicle, I went with goodyear duratracs. Every truck I have seen, even the ones that are completely worn out, are worn even. I don't put many miles on, maybe 5000km per season, I have winters mounted on rims, so might as well use them. One of the work trucks had them, and they were toast at 86000 kms, but they were all evenly worn.

  24. #24CM19952022-08-07 11:47

    Same experience here, except for the snow part. BFG's wear quickly if you don't religiously rotate them and then they do not wear evenly in the several sets I've owned. Believe it or not the Off-Road Parts branded Sumitomo 35's wear great. Had them on my last truck and I would buy another pair. New truck has Duratracs and they ride well without much sound and appear to wear evenly but I only have 5K miles on them about ready for their first rotate.

  25. #25John C.2022-08-07 13:42

    I remember the BFG tire recalls some years back that seriously affected a lot of people who had to sue for compensation on tires that failed causing accidents. The mess was bad enough in my eyes to swear of that brand forever.

  26. #26Tones2022-08-07 14:25

    That happened when Michelin took them over and changed the tire compound. It's been corrected and I still get 150,000ks out of them which makes them the cheapest tire.

  27. #27John C.2022-08-07 17:31

    BFG was sold to Michelin in 1988. The recall I'm talking about was in 2015. Here is a quote on the current relationship between from this web site. https://trucktirereviews.com/are-bfgoodrich-tires-made-by-michelin/ So, are BFGoodrich tires made by Michelin? The answer is both yes and no. BFG is owned by Michelin, but a lot of their tires are produced separately, with independent engineering and design teams, here in the USA. If you have good luck with them, more power to you. I've had no problems with their OTR stuff but remember the acrimony of the court cases and denials of responsibility by Ford and BFG.

  28. #28Truck Shop2022-08-07 18:29

    And Bridgestone owns Firestone. Remember back in the mid 70's the issues with the Firestone 500? Many of the tire models Les Schwab sells are made by Cooper. The Dean Tire is one.

  29. #29cfherrman2022-08-07 18:42

    There is only something like 3 or 4 tire manufacturers in the world, so if you swear off one brand you would have to swear of about 1/3 of the available tires in the world.

  30. #30CM19952022-08-07 18:56

    This is the tire that's own my truck that was just stolen. Only problem is they only come in 37 and 35's with different rim sizes. Supposedly made my Sumitomo. All I know is they wear really, really well. I wouldn't be surprised to get double the miles on these that I got on BFG's loaded heavy and towing. https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/4-wheel-parts-33x12-50r18lt-tire-xtreme-r-t-881233/_/R-4WPBR-881233 Not a bad price for that size tire either.

  31. #31cfherrman2022-08-07 19:08

    I've been told 18" is a really bad size to buy for.

  32. #32CM19952022-08-07 19:20

    Haven't had any issues over the years. We have 3 pickups running 18's and one running 17's.

  33. #33KSSS2022-08-07 22:12

    I have never had an issue buying 18".

  34. #34Bumpsteer2022-08-07 22:25

    Went thru 2 recalls on Firestone tires....NEVER again will I buy one. I've always ran a mud terrain tread on my plow truck. Sadly that type of tread pattern has been phased out. Not a clue wth I'm going to do... Ed

  35. #351693TA2022-08-07 22:53

    I was working a tire shop during the Firestone 500 debacle replacing them with the 721 series in 1978/79. I was running my shop during the 1990's Firestone upheaval resulting in the termination of the agreement of Firestone OEM tires installed onto new Ford vehicles. I've had the best luck with Cooper tires overall, but that's just my experience.

  36. #36suladas2022-08-07 23:33

    I've never ran chinese on my pickup but have them on my dump truck and both trailers and no issues at all. Also just saying chinese is pretty vague, there are so many brands. For example sailun has a really good reputation.

  37. #37KSSS2022-08-08 00:30

    Same here, I run the Chinese tires on my dump truck. They seem fine to me, All my 17.5's are Chinese and no issues.

  38. #38Welder Dave2022-08-08 00:36

    I think it depends on the brand but the Chinese seem to be a little more common in the larger truck sizes. Some people have good success with their off road tires for loaders and such. It's weird with pick up tires. There used to 15 and 16 inch now there is everything from 15 to 22 inches. It seems the size you need is never the least expensive size.

  39. #39cfherrman2022-08-08 06:17

    If you look at 17" sizes and prices v 18" sizes and prices that's what I'm referring too, seems you pay more for the same tire in 18"

  40. #40Steve Frazier2022-08-08 23:13

    I've been plowing snow for over 40 years and used to go with a very aggressive mud tire. They wore out quick and were very noisy. I started noticing the specialized treads and came across the GoodYear Wintercommand, it's a directional tire. The tread doesn't look real aggressive but I'll tell you what, it's the best tire I've ever used plowing. I've been sliding downhill backwards with all 4 wheels locked and put it in drive and regained traction to drive back up the hill. They just amaze me. I run two sets of wheels/tires on my personal truck and swap for the seasons. I've got them on my truck at work year round and get about 25,000 miles before they need replaced. You won't be disappointed

  41. #41Welder Dave2022-08-08 23:28

    Got the tires installed today. They don't have any noticeable noise but seem like they might be slightly stiffer than the original Goodyears. Apparently they have better puncture and damage resistance than some other tires. I have to go back on Wed. because the steering wheel is very slightly off. They said that happens the odd time when doing the alignment but they'll fix it so no problem. It's just enough to notice the steering wheel isn't perfectly straight. It would have bugged me if I didn't get it fixed.

  42. #42Bumpsteer2022-08-08 23:50

    Steve, thanks for the tip. I'll look into those, never seen them. I only get 25k out of my mudders so life isn't an issue. Getting stuck at 1 am in the middle of bf nowhere is.I have a 9k rear winch and carry 250' of cable/straps it ain't no fun to use it. Ed

  43. #43cfherrman2022-08-09 06:17

    I was surprised you said you used mudd tires on a plow truck as it seemed those type of tires do the worst on ice, you must plow a lot of county roads or dirt then.

  44. #44scholzee2022-08-09 09:34

    If you look at that tire picture those small zig-zag small cuts are called Sipes, that's what grips snow / ice. Any brand dedicated snow tire will have then. Also the rubber compound is soft to stay flexible in snow ( but soft wears out quick in heat summer so need 2 sets of tires ) Mud tires big lugs no sipes as picture show decent size lugs tons of sipes. Usually winter tires have no tread wear rating as its bad. 60 year Buffalo NY snow experience talking.

  45. #45cuttin edge2022-08-13 10:12

    Even the snow tires on our loaders have the sipes. My Duratracks have them as well, but I still run a dedicated studded snow tire in winter.